Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You are probably right but that does not refute the evidence that yes there are plenty of citizen that are willing to work those jobs if given the opportunity.
Sure it does. The REASON those industries hire immigrants is BECAUSE they are the majority of the people who take those jobs and STAY in those jobs. Meatpacking is nasty work, and few people like it. Those who can get better jobs likely move on. Those that can't - like immigrants (especially illegal immigrants) stay. Over time the percentage of immigrants - especially illegal immigrants - grows.

Ken

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I wasn’t talking about the number. The other person said whites & blacks, hardly any Hispanics which is the exact opposite of what was in the article which I posted.
Ok, sry about that. Still, I'd be curious to know what the ultimate demographic numbers are given that applicant pool is greatly enlarged from the earlier, less complete article.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Over 200 people ultimately showed up and filled out applications at this jobs fair. So demand was much higher than expected or what is normal: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice

The article in my OP merely touches on a snapshot in time on that day. Doesn't get into the total numbers, but the above article does

Again, again, these are just applications from the jobs fair. Doesn't get into who has been applying online or in person at the company itself!

It says 200 applications were filled out at the job fair, that doesn't mean for Koch, the other article was more detailed and specified, 25-30 applications were for Koch.

The last sentence I agree with, we have no idea of the numbers of people applying by other methods.

Edit: Sorry. NOT 200 applications filled out, that's how many came - no idea what the results were or if all of them were looking for jobs etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's a start. These 25 people who showed up are some of the remaining who were not displaced because of no jobs available in that area. Had these illegals not been removed, those 25 who showed up wouldn't have been given a chance for work.
I thought they said people showing up was common. Who knows if they got those jobs? They needed about 650 more though. Where were those 25 initially? Democrats didn't hire the people who showed up, the employer did. Lots of unanswered questions.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:22 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think this show that most Americans, Americans who are unemployed and live near the processing plants will indeed do those jobs.
What you are saying is citizens who are employed in other states wont quit their job and move to Mississippi to apply for the job.
Where were these people when the company was hiring? Do we know these same people were looking for jobs at the time? What was their record? Did the employer find them appropriate for the jobs? Maybe there were issues and they weren't employable. Lots of unanswered questions.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sure it does. The REASON those industries hire immigrants is BECAUSE they are the majority of the people who take those jobs and STAY in those jobs. Meatpacking is nasty work, and few people like it. Those who can get better jobs likely move on. Those that can't - like immigrants (especially illegal immigrants) stay. Over time the percentage of immigrant grows.

Ken
Democrats in 1865: "But who is going to pick our cotton?"

Democrats in 2019: "But who is going to pick our apples and slaughter our chicken?"

Bottom line is that there are Americans who are willing and who do these jobs.

Here's some food for thought about who is actually working farm jobs in this country:

Quote:
Although unauthorized immigrants made up 5% of the nation’s civilian workforce in 2014, they accounted for a much higher share (26%) of the workers in farming occupations. Unauthorized immigrants also were 15% of workers in construction jobs in 2014. U.S.-born workers accounted for a majority of workers in all major occupation groups, including 54% of the farming workforce in 2014 and 73% of the construction workforce. Only in construction jobs and farming jobs do unauthorized immigrant workers outnumber lawful immigrant workers (15% vs. 12%, and 26% vs. 20%). (See the table here for data on workers’ status by major occupation.)
https://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/11/...grant-workers/

The majority of farm jobs are held by Americans. And the overwhelming majority are held by Americans or legal residents of the United States.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Where were these people when the company was hiring? Do we know these same people were looking for jobs at the time? What was their record? Did the employer find them appropriate for the jobs? Maybe there were issues and they weren't employable. Lots of unanswered questions.
My guess is that many of the jobs that were given to the illegal immigrants were filled by word of mouth via illegal immigrant communities and the company executives were all too willing to look the other way.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Still not nearly enough.
The fact is, that industry RELIES on immigrant labor:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/10/75017...mmigrant-labor

It's likely that many - if not most - of those jobs will end up going to OTHER illegal immigrants.

Ken
In what world is more than 200 in a few hours time not nearly enough? I think your desire for low cost goods drives your support for abusing illegal immigrants, and it's disgusting.

Before there was a huge supply of illegal workers to use and abuse Americans held those jobs. Americans will do any job if you pay them enough to do it but the huge supple of abusable illegal populations drive wages down, look at the construction industry or the housekeeping industry for other examples. In the 90s the Democrats understood this problem with illegals, look at any of Bill Clinton's speeches on this issue from back then. I honestly don't get the shift in policy other than the left no longer cares about the poor and working classes other than handing them other people's money (welfare, SNAP, AOCs Green New Deal to financially support people who don't want to work, etc.), these are the groups that are directly penalized by open borders.

My dad is the shop foreman now for a Formica countertop shop here in Phoenix. He started on the shop floor 35 years ago at that same company making $9 an hour, 2 weeks of paid vacation, health insurance, and a 401(k). That position today is a minimum wage position with no paid vacation but now under law has to give 1 week of sick days and no 401(k). The owners split the company up into it's individual parts to get around the insurance requirements of Obamacare so they don't offer insurance anymore either and they have people still lining up to take those jobs but American citizens never accept them or if they do they don't stay long because the wages are too low. These are shop jobs in the Phoenix heat without AC and the wages are the only real difference over the last 35 years when the shop was fully American citizens.

You can't convince me that Americans won't do the work when they were doing it for decades. They won't do the work for pennies though, and they shouldn't.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My guess is that many of the jobs that were given to the illegal immigrants were filled by word of mouth via illegal immigrant communities and the company executives were all too willing to look the other way.
The articles stated that Koch had job fairs on a regular basis. You know why? Because the job sucks and they have trouble fillings the positions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The articles stated that Koch had job fairs on a regular basis. You know why? Because the job sucks and they have trouble fillings the positions.
Yes, it did say that, so I don’t know why this is being made out to be something special & unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.