U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)

12,271 posts, read 6,463,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Seriously? You really think that after how many years of living in a democratic society that Hong Kong residents prefer authoritarian government enforced with tanks and mass murder of civilians????

Clearly, you have little faith in the idea of democracy.
The fact that Hong Kong residents overwhelmingly prefer their system of government in no way means that they overwhelmingly support the antics of the protesters today.

And Hong Kong also enforces its laws with violence if necessary. Such is nothing new and is what governments the world over do if need be.

Moreover, Hong Kong wasn't seized from China initially via Democratic means; it was seized by force. It rightfully belongs to China and the Chinese are free to administer it via their laws. If enough people throughout China don't like it, they are free to try to overthrow the Chinese government. But I think you'd be surprised at how many Chinese citizens support their current system. Just like I think many people are surprised to find out how many Cubans support their communist system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

14,457 posts, read 11,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And the left says the same about the right..

We’re one another’s boogieman

LOL, yea the far right has the same thing in mind. Fair enough. I'm neither. Just another guy in the middle getting squished.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

146 posts, read 100,068 times
This is no surprise to me at all. From the moment the English left Hong Kong, it has been Chinese property. I fully expect they will crush any and all pro democracy movements. Would be a fool to think otherwise.

Do you really think the Chinese Communist government is going to allow Hong Kong to be some bastion of freedom or thorn in their side? It will be assimilated into mainland China just as Taiwan will also one day. The Chinese government is very smart, they see thing in a LONG timeframe. Unlike us in the West.

-G

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 4,058,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I agree with you as a general matter, this is ultimately a relative "few" of the Hong Kong population behaving this way. They don't get to disrupt the city and mess things up for everyone else just because they want to. Again, no society would allow this to go on without pushing back.
Obama not only allowed it but actually encouraged it in Ferguson, when a thug pulled a strong arm robbery and then attacked a police officer before being shot. Maybe Barry Soetoro can go to HK, start a Chinese Lives Matter movement, declare victory, and then invite them all to Kenya for a photo op with him and Michael.

Or we can watch as China handles an internal matter.

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

20,058 posts, read 14,855,220 times
Quote:
Well to be fair a lot of countries told the Brits to take a hike including ours..
And many came back and became part of the British Commonwealth. Guess they must not really hate the British.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

20,058 posts, read 14,855,220 times
Quote:
And the left says the same about the right..

We’re one another’s boogieman
Can't get any more Left than Communist China.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

46,206 posts, read 18,302,407 times
Looks like they are getting ready to light the place up.

The Reds have very little patience for these things.

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

23,705 posts, read 12,507,533 times
Some talk China's refusal to give in to Hong Kong shows how much they are willing to dig in their heels on issues and that is most definitely impacting the perception of what might happen in a trade war.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 9 days ago)

18,620 posts, read 8,377,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The fact that Hong Kong residents overwhelmingly prefer their system of government in no way means that they overwhelmingly support the antics of the protesters today.

And Hong Kong also enforces its laws with violence if necessary. Such is nothing new and is what governments the world over do if need be.

Moreover, Hong Kong wasn't seized from China initially via Democratic means; it was seized by force. It rightfully belongs to China and the Chinese are free to administer it via their laws. If enough people throughout China don't like it, they are free to try to overthrow the Chinese government. But I think you'd be surprised at how many Chinese citizens support their current system. Just like I think many people are surprised to find out how many Cubans support their communist system.
No, it rightfully belongs to the people who live there.

We seized ourselves by force from British rule, as I recall. Also, some of us seized ourselves by force from Mexican rule. Do you think that any US territory rightfully belongs to either Britain or Mexico?

Whether most people now living in HK approve of the protestors or not, I can't say, because I don't know. And neither do you.

Either way, it looks like another Tiananmen Square in the making. And we'll see tanks rolling over civilians again. Why you think that's justifiable, I have no idea.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

8,639 posts, read 11,163,259 times
I'm thinking all those people that bought property in Vancouver in 1996 are feeling a lot smarter today.

That being said, the other part of the bargain was that Beijing was to let them be an autonomous region for an additional 50 years after the 1997 turnover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or