U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
 
303 posts, read 33,098 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Change my mind.
Why should I change your mind? You're a black man, I'm a white working class guy. I don't care how you vote. Me and you're not on the same side of things in this country, no matter what our passport says.

Look, as if I was black, I wouldn't vote Steve King in either. But I'm not. I grew up in Detroit and saw many black politicians get voted in just because they wanted to stick it to the white suburban man. Did I get why my black neighbors voted for them? Yea. Would I vote for them? No.

You're confusing me for one of these republicans who will beg for your vote. I won't, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
 
48,906 posts, read 45,876,643 times
Reputation: 15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Why should I change your mind? You're a black man, I'm a white working class guy. I don't care how you vote. Me and you're not on the same side of things in this country, no matter what our passport says.

Look, as if I was black, I wouldn't vote Steve King in either. But I'm not. I grew up in Detroit and saw many black politicians get voted in just because they wanted to stick it to the white suburban man. Did I get why my black neighbors voted for them? Yea. Would I vote for them? No.

You're confusing me for one of these republicans who will beg for your vote. I won't, I don't care.
Why? Because there is an obsession on city-data in general over how Blacks vote. And there are people here who say the would vote for him. There are those who might feel that I should be on board with him. I need a good reason to be on board with him. And so far, no one can come up with on.

And you being a white working class person, well, there is a major difference. You grew up working class, I grew up middle class. I grew up a middle class Black kid in a predominantly White exurban area (30 miles west of Atlanta) with a large percentage of its population being working class. Confederate flags can still be found flying in a few places. I remember when Brian Kemp ran for governor here in Georgia. When Kemp was Secretary of State, he engaged in alot of voter suppresion. This involved purging people from the voter rolls for various reasons. He closed down over 200 polling stations, a huge number of them in predominantly Black areas. This means people had to travel much further to vote. A recording of him lamenting more people being registered to vote was leaked. Basically, he was scared of losing the election. Where I live, alot of White people voted for him, and no Black person voted for him. I live in a state where race is a huge factor in the political divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
 
48,906 posts, read 45,876,643 times
Reputation: 15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Hmm, that sounds a bit... dubious. My understanding is that when males are stronger it is usually so they can drive away competition for mates. For each species, the more female mates a male typically keeps, the stronger and more dangerous the male generally is compared to the female. Gorillas and Lions would be examples of such.
We're human beings though. We aren't like lions and gorillas. Human beings think and reason much better than animals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
 
6,613 posts, read 2,836,879 times
Reputation: 7940
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We're human beings though. We aren't like lions and gorillas. Human beings think and reason much better than animals do.
I really don't know why but I laughed out loud when I read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
 
48,906 posts, read 45,876,643 times
Reputation: 15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I really don't know why but I laughed out loud when I read this.
I don't see anything funny about the comment that I just made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
 
48,906 posts, read 45,876,643 times
Reputation: 15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He was in the Iowa Senate 1997-2003. He has been a Congressman since 2003. 22 years of continuous public service.

Says something about the majority of voters in this district.
This is Steve King's district: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa%2...ional_district

Iowa's 4th Congressional District, northwest Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,643 posts, read 14,172,536 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't see anything funny about the comment that I just made.
Animals donít knowingly pollute the air the breathe or the water they drink. Look at some of the politicians we elect, do they resemble a higher form of life. Animals donít kill for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
 
48,906 posts, read 45,876,643 times
Reputation: 15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Animals donít knowingly pollute the air the breathe or the water they drink. Look at some of the politicians we elect, do they resemble a higher form of life. Animals donít kill for fun.
Animals don't know better. Humans know better. That was my point. Because you know better, you should do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,135 posts, read 6,719,528 times
Reputation: 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Animals donít knowingly pollute the air the breathe or the water they drink. Look at some of the politicians we elect, do they resemble a higher form of life. Animals donít kill for fun.
That's actually a pretty cogent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,643 posts, read 14,172,536 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Animals don't know better. Humans know better. That was my point. Because you know better, you should do better.
Just making the point that reasoning escapes humans on a rather large scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top