U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 PM

48,952 posts, read 45,885,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yup. Or that they use their intelligence to advance unethical or immoral actions.
That is right. Consider Leander "Judge" Perez. He was the political boss of Plaquemines Parish in Louisiana. He was very corrupt, and he could get away with doing some ugly stuff. He was dealing with a population that wasn't very educated. He, however, had a law degree from Tulane University. He was a judge at one point, as his nickname suggests. He would get large men to go into the voting booths to "help" people vote. Think about what those men were doing. He also bribed voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Perez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

8,138 posts, read 4,757,608 times
What Steve King is saying is, it is likely that everyone, if they go far enough back in their family tree, has an ancestor who was the byproduct of rape or incest. The idea is that, if that ancestor had been aborted then you wouldn't exist.

Steve King didn't actually say that humanity wouldn't exist without rape and incest, and he certainly didn't say it was necessary for human survival. He made the technically-true statement that, if everyone has an ancestor who was a byproduct of rape or incest, then if they had been aborted, none of the people alive today would exist. But that doesn't mean that humanity wouldn't exist. There would be people, just not us.

Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

13,049 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What Steve King is saying is, it is likely that everyone, if they go far enough back in their family tree, has an ancestor who was the byproduct of rape or incest. The idea is that, if that ancestor had been aborted then you wouldn't exist.

Steve King didn't actually say that humanity wouldn't exist without rape and incest, and he certainly didn't say it was necessary for human survival. He made the technically-true statement that, if everyone has an ancestor who was a byproduct of rape or incest, then if they had been aborted, none of the people alive today would exist. But that doesn't mean that humanity wouldn't exist. There would be people, just not us.
One has to wonder what the point of that observation is.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

33,647 posts, read 14,177,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
True, maybe a topic for a research paper but why a congressman would bring this up in the first place escapes me.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

9,211 posts, read 8,070,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
True, maybe a topic for a research paper but why a congressman would bring this up in the first place escapes me.

Because he wants to justify outlawing abortion in even the most extreme and traumatic scenarios, that's why.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

13,049 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because he wants to justify outlawing abortion in even the most extreme and traumatic scenarios, that's why.
Yes.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

14,312 posts, read 6,520,828 times
Quote:
The point of that observation is to condone forcing women who have been raped or molested to go thru the pregnancy.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Quote:
It reminds me of the conversation I had with my mother about my sister and her children. I told my mother that my sister was too irresponsible to have any children at all, and that it would have been better for everyone had she been sterile.

She replied, "But then I wouldn't have my grandchildren, and I love them so much."

Steve King is making the emotional connection that there are people living today who are the product of incest and rape. It might be a friend, or a classmate, or a coworker, or even a family-member. Someone you love and would be terrified of losing, who might otherwise have been aborted. Someone's daughter, or sister, or brother, or grandchild. Or in the other direction, their father, their grandfather, or even yourself.

He is trying to make the point that life is sacred. And that if our ancestors hadn't believed that life was sacred, none of us would exist(or at least we would be someone else).

He clearly wasn't saying that humanity wouldn't exist without rape and incest. But he wants people to basically feel like abortion causes you to "lose something".

Which is similar to what my mother felt when I wished my sister had had no children. To my mother, not having her grandchildren would mean she would lose something she loved. But had she never known them, she couldn't have lost them. It would have just been a different world, a different reality.

Reminds me of this picture...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...90/797/41a.jpg

Last edited by Redshadowz; Yesterday at 05:18 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

48,952 posts, read 45,885,698 times
This is not the first time Steve King has said something stupid and morally reprehensible.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is not the first time Steve King has said something stupid and morally reprehensible.
What he said was neither stupid nor morally reprehensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or