U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

9,981 posts, read 4,703,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't suppose it occurred to you that hammers are cheap, and more people have them, so not surprising if more people use them violently? Even I have hammers.
Ban assault hammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 317,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Total. Absolutely. As it should. You don't get angry and go get your rifle. You get angry and grab your hammer or something close at hand.

People's knee jerk reaction is that they don't like public mass killings. Those are usually conducted with rifles due to high magazine capacity, and longer range, often with a handgun backup.
So you think a determined killer, one that goes through the trouble of planning a mass shooting, would probably not be able to get a gun or go through the trouble of getting one on the black market if we just banned guns or confiscated guns from law abiding people? Is that it?

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

8,639 posts, read 11,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Multiple victims from a single offender shows 972. The preponderance are single victim incidents.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-4.xls
Yep.

I'm not entirely sure of the motive of the OP, but comparing non-firearm murders to a small portion of firearm murders is not a genuine use of the data. Excluding handguns in fact paints a worse picture. Based on the data, those that want to ban guns should be looking at restricting handguns, not long rifles.

In fact those that roll out the Switzerland data only support that argument further. Canada as well. As a per capita number, Canada has more guns than the US, but severe restrictions on handguns, almost nothing on long guns. Compare murder rates, and you'll see the real difference.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

A big guy comes through the side door with a hammer. Your wife/sister/mother/daughter is in the house. He means to do her harm. What does she do? Hide?

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
So you think a determined killer, one that goes through the trouble of planning a mass shooting, would probably not be able to get a gun or go through the trouble of getting one on the black market if we just banned guns or confiscated guns from law abiding people? Is that it?
In any of my posts, did I utter the word ban or confiscate? In fact long guns are clearly not the problem.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quote:
A big guy comes through the side door with a hammer. Your wife/sister/mother/daughter is in the house. He means to do her harm. What does she do? Hide?
I'd rather her run from a guy with a hammer than a guy with a gun. Just sayin.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quote:
In any of my posts, did I utter the word ban or confiscate? In fact long guns are clearly not the problem.
Yeah .. check post #33.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I'd rather her run from a guy with a hammer than a guy with a gun. Just sayin.
LOL. Good luck to your people, whoever they may be.

Quote:
Yeah .. check post #33.
this?

Based on the data, those that want to ban guns should be looking at restricting handguns, not long rifles.

I am not saying that is my stance. Those that want to ban means people other than me that hold this belief.

4,855 posts, read 1,278,808 times
Quote:
Yep.

I'm not entirely sure of the motive of the OP, but comparing non-firearm murders to a small portion of firearm murders is not a genuine use of the data. Excluding handguns in fact paints a worse picture. Based on the data, those that want to ban guns should be looking at restricting handguns, not long rifles.

In fact those that roll out the Switzerland data only support that argument further. Canada as well. As a per capita number, Canada has more guns than the US, but severe restrictions on handguns, almost nothing on long guns. Compare murder rates, and you'll see the real difference.
My link does not distinguish rifle or handgun. The OP is indicating it is statistically a small number that are killed with a rifle but the "assault weapon" is the one people focus on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies