U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 09:44 AM
 
30,101 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Reputation: 13995

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Wikipedia: "The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day." "Compared to other high income nations, the U.S. gun related murder rate is 25 time higher although it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined."

So if we had 100 plus people dying per day in a plane crash would we sit on our hands and say oh well? Really?
What would be the logical response to such; ban all airplanes or hold the ownership/operator of the crashed planes accountable?

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; Today at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 11:45 AM
 
10,510 posts, read 6,370,482 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Does this take into account suicides?

Why should it ? Suicides shouldn't be counted in crime statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,645 posts, read 11,163,259 times
Reputation: 10384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What would be the logical response to such; ban all airplanes or hold the ownership/operator of the crashed planes accountable?
Currently we're doing neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:51 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,312 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11967
Damn, an inconvenient truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:52 AM
 
10,510 posts, read 6,370,482 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yep.


I'm not entirely sure of the motive of the OP, but comparing non-firearm murders to a small portion of firearm murders is not a genuine use of the data. Excluding handguns in fact paints a worse picture. Based on the data, those that want to ban guns should be looking at restricting handguns, not long rifles.


In fact those that roll out the Switzerland data only support that argument further. Canada as well. As a per capita number, Canada has more guns than the US, but severe restrictions on handguns, almost nothing on long guns. Compare murder rates, and you'll see the real difference.

The UAE has extremely lax firearms laws , full auto's are legal, yet their gun violence is among the lowest in the world. If guns were the problem, wouldn't we see all shootings daily there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:52 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 10,070,758 times
Reputation: 16459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-rifles-kind/





Come on left, wake up!! It's time you realize that you are wrong
Yes. Let's fail to deal with the domestic terrorist threat because someone might fall and break their neck in the bathtub. That is a good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:58 AM
 
10,000 posts, read 4,703,025 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Wikipedia: "The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day." "Compared to other high income nations, the U.S. gun related murder rate is 25 time higher although it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined."

So if we had 100 plus people dying per day in a plane crash would we sit on our hands and say oh well? Really?
And what do you propose to stop gang killings, since that is most of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:59 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,312 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11967
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yes. Let's fail to deal with the domestic terrorist threat because someone might fall and break their neck in the bathtub. That is a good plan.
No, but it helps to put things into perspective and to call out the mass hysteria for what it is.

This isn't to say that we shouldn't (we MUST) do something about unstable, hateful people being able to get and use guns in a horrific manner. But we also need to be honest that there is a lot of exaggeration going on here. If people truly cared about gun violence, they would talk more about the thousands of blacks and Latinos that die every year (at the hands of other blacks and Latinos) via handgun. But that doesn't fit the racial narrative, so the media is SILENT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:00 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,312 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And what do you propose to stop gang killings, since that is most of them?
Aggressive stop and frisking al la Giuliani and Bloomberg style. Note, stop and frisks under Giuliani and Bloomberg took many thousands (Raymond Kelly said over 40,000) illegal guns and knives off the streets of NY over the years. And NYC is now the safest big city in America as a result. We went from having over 2000 homicides a year to around 300 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:08 PM
 
10,510 posts, read 6,370,482 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And what do you propose to stop gang killings, since that is most of them?
Stop and frisk in violent areas between certain times. That would be a start. And it isn't "gang killings" it is just inner city violence. One feels the need to kill another for no other reason than a dirty look, or the bag of potato chips they want. It's a way of life. Disarming those that live like that is one thing, changing the mentality is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top