U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 PM

11,202 posts, read 4,945,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Does the mere existence of an active shooter qualify as newsworthy?
The fact that you (and others) don't consider active shootings newsworthy is a depressing indicator of how severe the national gun violence issue is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM

9,068 posts, read 2,577,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That’s what they’re saying lol

Harris said ( paraphrasing) with new gun laws, these drug dealers (who are in possession of illegal drugs) wouldn’t own guns.

Lmao
LOL They are sooooooo predictable.

Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM

18,634 posts, read 9,148,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That’s what they’re saying lol

Harris said ( paraphrasing) with new gun laws, these drug dealers (who are in possession of illegal drugs) wouldn’t own guns.

Lmao
The first thing the Mayor said was he didn't think people should be so weaponized, and have such weapons, and he didn't even know what weapons were being used. It was all about weaponization to him. A political agenda purely to disarm the law abiding.

Quote:
"I'm a little angry about someone having all that weaponry and all that firepower, but we'll get to that another day," Mayor Jim Kenney said.
Drug dealers, and gang members don't follow laws, including more gun laws. This was in North Philly, one of the worst crime areas in the city.

https://www.fox29.com/news/suspect-s...2-held-hostage

Suspects surrenders. Maurice Hill , who has a long history of drug offenses was taken into custody. Multiple FELON already prohibited from touching a firearm, yet the politicians want MORE gun control. Nuts.

https://6abc.com/6-philly-officers-s...ndoff/5467896/

Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM

12,887 posts, read 4,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
What will people say is the cause here.

Mentally ill individual with a gun?
Guns in the hands of the wrong person, need stronger gun control?
Perceived issues with law enforcement so play vigilante justice?

Lately it's been mass shooting this and shots fired that. The same rhetoric, the same discussions, the same arguments. So WTF do we do here?
Send in the military to crime ravaged cities. Make sure the good guys are more heavily armed than the bad guys.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

14,468 posts, read 11,751,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Frankly, I cannot remember the last time the US Flag at our facility was flown at Full Staff. It's been at Half Staff for weeks on end. This latest incident will be yet another shooting for which to continue flying at Half Staff. My preference would be to fly the flag at Half Staff until our gun laws are strong enough to keep assault rifles - meant for field combat - away from the general Citizenry.

Ummm yea. OK Thing is the "general citizenry" is not the problem. The "criminal citizenry" who seem to have more rights than the general, are well armed with illegal weapons, have no qualms about shooting at LE, do not buy their weapons from gun stores with background checks, fees , taxes and forms, do not comply with any laws no matter how "strong" they are ...shall I go on? Seriously?

Laws just define a crime. They do not prevent them. And there goes another entertaining term. "Meant for field combat." I figured this incident would trigger a bunch of entertaining terminology from folks trying to sound like they know what they're talking about with firearms and firearms regulation. It never fails. The newsies are usually really good for this.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

34,785 posts, read 33,866,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Does the mere existence of an active shooter qualify as newsworthy?
You read my mind. I could not believe the amount of attention given to a story like this in Philadelphia. It's not that I don't think it should have been covered but once they established 1) it was about a drug bust and 2) no police officer was killed, how is it worse than any weekend in Chicago?

I do, however, wonder what took so long for the thing to play out but then, maybe I watch too much television. I was waiting for the tear gas followed by a sniper bullet but instead it seemed like it would be entirely up to the drug dealer to decide and they'd all mill around and wait for him to make up his mind and may I also ask, how the heck do you shoot as many bullets as he did and barely hit your targets? Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad no one was seriously hurt or killed, but obviously shooting was not his greatest strength.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

10,511 posts, read 6,374,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Send in the military to crime ravaged cities. Make sure the good guys are more heavily armed than the bad guys.

I'm all for that. Although , we could start with stop and frisk first, that alone would help. Although people will get all up in arms over that.... but my rights ! Yet, be all for "Red Flag turn in your neighbor" laws.
One would help lower inner city gun violence, the other will hurt people that think differently than you.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

5,796 posts, read 1,563,075 times
What we need is several good vigilantes to take out these serial drug dealers who hold these communities hostage.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

18,634 posts, read 9,148,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What we need is several good vigilantes to take out these serial drug dealers who hold these communities hostage.
It seems that often the communities are complicit, and get money and/or drugs from these perps.

Old Today, 02:41 AM

3,929 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You read my mind. I could not believe the amount of attention given to a story like this in Philadelphia. It's not that I don't think it should have been covered but once they established 1) it was about a drug bust and 2) no police officer was killed, how is it worse than any weekend in Chicago?

I do, however, wonder what took so long for the thing to play out but then, maybe I watch too much television. I was waiting for the tear gas followed by a sniper bullet but instead it seemed like it would be entirely up to the drug dealer to decide and they'd all mill around and wait for him to make up his mind and may I also ask, how the heck do you shoot as many bullets as he did and barely hit your targets? Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad no one was seriously hurt or killed, but obviously shooting was not his greatest strength.
Well Chicago has not made national news in 2019 like Philly did yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or