U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 PM

9,936 posts, read 2,760,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The Obama administration literally saved the American economy from the brink, and his election ensured that Republicans couldn't impose austerity after Bush left office, the kind is responsible for high unemployment in Europe to this day. "But, what the AIG executives." Who cares? Yes, Obama was too cozy with Wall Street, but it's easy to nitpick his mistakes 12 years on, when we're not in imminent danger of going into a depression.

I also don't fault Obama for not getting a public option, there was not enough votes in the senate. Including the public option risked no ACA at all, which would have been far worse than the post-ACA status-quo.
He saved the economic system that hedge fund managers control and subsidized their survival by supporting massive home foreclosures amongst the middle class.

He and the democratic party had the chance to really reform the economy for the first time since 1984 but instead they worked to save the old system and centralize the healthcare system around a few large insurance companies.

You don't have to hate Obama, but you should see what his main priorities were. The fact that America's economy survived was because he saved wall streets dominance and the stock market. Not because he worked to help working class Americans.

Just remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,194,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
He saved the economic system that hedge fund managers control and subsidized their survival by supporting massive home foreclosures amongst the middle class.

He and the democratic party had the chance to really reform the economy for the first time since 1984 but instead they worked to save the old system and centralize the healthcare system around a few large insurance companies.

You don't have to hate Obama, but you should see what his main priorities were. The fact that America's economy survived was because he saved wall streets dominance and the stock market. Not because he worked to help working class Americans.

Just remember that.
I'll take the improvements Obama made, and I'll give him credit for them.

-Passed fiscal stimulus and infrastructure spending that prevented the US from entering a prolonged recession. The Europeans did the opposite, their austerity left working class people worse off.

-ACA: covered pre-existing conditions, slowed the growth in health care costs.

-Passed strong environmental regulations and fuel efficiency standards

-Repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

The problem nowadays is that people on the far left demand ideological purity, to the extent that they throw elections to Republicans, which has caused immense damage to this country. Like all the people who wrote in Bernie or voted for Jill Stein instead of Hillary. They elected Trump and sent America back 30 years, all because they wanted to stick it to the "corporate Democrats."

Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 PM

7,202 posts, read 1,843,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't love everything about the Democratic Party, but for me, I'll vote for them before I'll vote for the party that wrecks the U.S. economy time and time again and believes our society should be ruled by the Bible and not the U.S. Constitution.

There are more than just GOP and DEMS. Look outside that and you might find something that you really like.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM

28,836 posts, read 15,635,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't love everything about the Democratic Party, but for me, I'll vote for them before I'll vote for the party that wrecks the U.S. economy time and time again and believes our society should be ruled by the Bible and not the U.S. Constitution.
Delusional...

Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 PM

28,836 posts, read 15,635,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, especially for online stores, like Amazon for starters. Meanwhile, brick and mortar stores have been closing at a greater rate than ever. Enclosed malls aren't doing any better.
I think that would have proceeded regardless of who was president.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 PM

7,219 posts, read 7,862,235 times
Quote:
I'll take the improvements Obama made, and I'll give him credit for them.

-Passed fiscal stimulus and infrastructure spending that prevented the US from entering a prolonged recession. The Europeans did the opposite, their austerity left working class people worse off.

-ACA: covered pre-existing conditions, slowed the growth in health care costs.

-Passed strong environmental regulations and fuel efficiency standards

-Repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

The problem nowadays is that people on the far left demand ideological purity, to the extent that they throw elections to Republicans, which has caused immense damage to this country. Like all the people who wrote in Bernie or voted for Jill Stein instead of Hillary. They elected Trump and sent America back 30 years, all because they wanted to stick it to the "corporate Democrats."
You would rather they abandon their principles and vote for the corporate Democrats?

Hillary lost the election. The Democrats who didnít vote for her were unconvinced that she had their interests at heart. They voted for someone else. They didnít elect Trump. They didnít vote for him. If anything, the DNC elected Trump by nominating the only person who couldnít beat him.

1,664 posts, read 2,682,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Delusional...
Seriously, right?

Why the Bible when you can have a society ruled by Putin and his favorite puppets - MoscowMitch and TrreasonousTrump?

8,980 posts, read 3,996,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
there is no 'Democratic Party'...it's the 'Democrat Party'...
I thought that too, and it's the opposite.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,194,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You would rather they abandon their principles and vote for the corporate Democrats?

Hillary lost the election. The Democrats who didnít vote for her were unconvinced that she had their interests at heart. They voted for someone else. They didnít elect Trump. They didnít vote for him. If anything, the DNC elected Trump by nominating the only person who couldnít beat him.
You will find nobody on the left today that can honestly say that a Clinton presidency would have been worse than the perpetual nightmare we are dealing with today. Yes, Clinton was basically center-right, but I can guarantee she would've been far better than Trump.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM

7,219 posts, read 7,862,235 times
Quote:
You will find nobody on the left today that can honestly say that a Clinton presidency would have been worse than the perpetual nightmare we are dealing with today. Yes, Clinton was basically center-right, but I can guarantee she would've been far better than Trump.
What does that have to do with anything? Some Democrats didn’t like Hillary or Trump. They voted for other candidates. What gives you the right to blame them for Hillary not being the candidate they wanted? I didn’t vote for Hillary because I didn’t want to see her become President. Nor did I vote for Trump, because I didn’t want him for President. I didn’t vote for Stein or Sanders because I didn’t want them for President. In your mind, if I didn’t vote for Trump was I required to vote for his major party opponent? Does the fact that I voted for Johnson mean I helped elect Trump? Because I can assure you that electing Trump was the last thing I wanted to do.

America is a constitutional republic, not a banana republic. We aren’t required to vote for anyone, but our right to cast our vote however we want to is protected.

ETA. Hillary is center right? In what universe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or