U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

7,219 posts, read 7,864,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If you want your vote to count you have two choices.
Every vote counts. If you want your candidate to win, however, you better vote D or R. The two major parties have arranged it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

9,937 posts, read 2,763,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Democrats in the 1990s were in crisis. They had lost the last 3 presidential elections.

The USSR had collapsed and China had liberalized its economy. It was no longer believed that command economies could work as well as market economies.

And union membership was declining due to the pressures of automation and foreign competition. This was critical because unions funded most of the Democratic party until the 1990s.

The Clintons found a new source of cash by cozying up to corporate America. That the working class would be sacrificed through this relationship was acceptable, especially since the working class had turned on the Democrats by voting for Reagan.
There is much that is true here and I like how you phrased it.

Union donations are still big but they are not as powerful or vital to the economy as they once where. Many unions today are even corporate friendly being as the dynamics of labor have changed away from grand treaties and worker power.

And I agree that democrats had to make the change if they wanted to be a powerful party.

Old Today, 01:43 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 17 days ago)

3,723 posts, read 656,401 times
The two parties are a duopoly. Like any duopoly they share a common interest to keep outside competitors at bay, and they work together to achieve this. Here's a long but excellent link. If you just read the exec summary, you'll get the gist.
https://www.hbs.edu/competitiveness/...ng-america.pdf

Old Today, 02:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 668,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
there is no 'Democratic Party'...it's the 'Democrat Party'...
For the record, it’s officially called the Democratic Party, same as it has been since 1844, when it replaced its predecessor, a faction formed by Thomas Jefferson in 1798 that was called the Democratic-Republican Party.

References to “the Democrat Party” — and variants in which “Democrat” is used as a modifier are mostly a Republican thing.

President Trump would prefer his supporters refer to the opposition party that way. During one of his rambling speeches Trump referred to one of his critics as the new star of the Democrat Party,” and to “the new Democrat platform” and “Democrat lawmakers.” Not Democratic,” declared Trump. “It’s Democrat. We have to do that. I like to say in the speeches, the ‘Democrat Party,’ because it doesn’t sound good. But that’s all the more reason I use it, because it doesn’t.” At another rally and at a fundraiser he has insisted, “When you see ‘Democratic Party,’ it’s wrong. There’s no name, ‘Democratic Party.’ ”

Well there is. The Democratic Party is the proper name. He's wrong and he chooses to be. Trump is engaging in a kind of “name-calling” by truncating the correct name of the party and attempting to corrupt the party's name. Calling anyone something other than their preferred name is usually considered rude. It's a weak attempt to try to distract from the fact that he’s done nothing on the issues that matter most to our country, democracy and voters. Trump knows he can’t beat his opponents in a policy debate, so all he can do is resort to this infantile type of trolling and rudeness.

To be clear, this has been a GOP tactic for some years now - and frankly, I don't understand why they think speaking in a way that is grammatically incorrect is supposed to evoke any response besides head-scratching.

Last edited by corpgypsy; Today at 02:31 PM..

Old Today, 03:03 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 17 days ago)

3,723 posts, read 656,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
For the record, it’s officially called the Democratic Party, same as it has been since 1844, when it replaced its predecessor, a faction formed by Thomas Jefferson in 1798 that was called the Democratic-Republican Party.

References to “the Democrat Party” — and variants in which “Democrat” is used as a modifier are mostly a Republican thing.

President Trump would prefer his supporters refer to the opposition party that way. During one of his rambling speeches Trump referred to one of his critics as the new star of the Democrat Party,” and to “the new Democrat platform” and “Democrat lawmakers.” Not Democratic,” declared Trump. “It’s Democrat. We have to do that. I like to say in the speeches, the ‘Democrat Party,’ because it doesn’t sound good. But that’s all the more reason I use it, because it doesn’t.” At another rally and at a fundraiser he has insisted, “When you see ‘Democratic Party,’ it’s wrong. There’s no name, ‘Democratic Party.’ ”

Well there is. The Democratic Party is the proper name. He's wrong and he chooses to be. Trump is engaging in a kind of “name-calling” by truncating the correct name of the party and attempting to corrupt the party's name. Calling anyone something other than their preferred name is usually considered rude. It's a weak attempt to try to distract from the fact that he’s done nothing on the issues that matter most to our country, democracy and voters. Trump knows he can’t beat his opponents in a policy debate, so all he can do is resort to this infantile type of trolling and rudeness.

To be clear, this has been a GOP tactic for some years now - and frankly, I don't understand why they think speaking in a way that is grammatically incorrect is supposed to evoke any response besides head-scratching.
I always use the term 'Democratic party.' I figure, call people what they call themselves. To do otherwise is usually disrespectful. However there is an argument to be made that the 2016 primaries, where there were internal efforts to derail Bernie, were not 'democratic,' hence the adjective no longer fits.

Old Today, 03:25 PM

5,206 posts, read 2,861,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I always use the term 'Democratic party.' I figure, call people what they call themselves. To do otherwise is usually disrespectful. However there is an argument to be made that the 2016 primaries, where there were internal efforts to derail Bernie, were not 'democratic,' hence the adjective no longer fits.
There is an argument to be made that the DNC has reformed significantly since then however, so it may apply again at this point, even Bernie has agreed the current state of affairs is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or