U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will the government become tyrannical?
Yes, it will. 46 68.66%
No, it will never ever become tyrannical. 13 19.40%
I donít know. 8 11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM
 
13,914 posts, read 9,494,891 times
Reputation: 4529

Advertisements

Been that way for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 05:08 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,485 posts, read 11,764,292 times
Reputation: 13507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
One more choice is needed...it already has. It began the steep dive into tyranny around 1913. Every year since then has gotten incrementally worse..America is no longer a free Republic!

It dove in headfirst after the Civil War. DC never gave up the powers given it during the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 05:27 PM
 
196 posts, read 42,484 times
Reputation: 271
Yes, it will. And did the government become tyrannical under Hitler? Absolutely! And the people were powerless to stop the resulting holocaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM
 
9,421 posts, read 2,885,184 times
Reputation: 5688
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Will it? Do we expect that to happen?

Remember Trump, aka, literally Hitler, was elected and his administration is running concentration camps.
Trump's trying to make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 PM
 
9,007 posts, read 5,164,586 times
Reputation: 9302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Remember Trump, aka, literally Hitler, was elected and his administration is running concentration camps.

He is, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 PM
 
1,105 posts, read 406,793 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Yes, it will. And did the government become tyrannical under Hitler? Absolutely! And the people were powerless to stop the resulting holocaust.

Yep, and the New York Times FAILED to report it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM
 
483 posts, read 101,370 times
Reputation: 595
I'm not sure what tyrannical means in this context. Historically it referred to absolute rule by a single individual, but I don't see that in the cards.

My prediction: Over time, whatever companies like Google/Facebook/etc. evolve into will become more firmly welded to the state. There'll be a combination of universal surveillance, the ability to parse and make the surveillance meaningful, and a greatly increased ability to nudge both an individual and the population generally in desired directions.

Businesses will tend more towards monopoly over time and in turn under increasing state control. Elections will matter less as a technical elite extends it's hold on power. It'll all look more moral than the Soviet Union but a hybrid of the EU and USSR might be a good model. This state will have a need to be universal over time, it's just the nature of the beast.

It might be a perfectly nice place to live, at least there'll still be a Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 07:35 PM
 
10,065 posts, read 4,720,136 times
Reputation: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I'm not sure what tyrannical means in this context. Historically it referred to absolute rule by a single individual, but I don't see that in the cards.

My prediction: Over time, whatever companies like Google/Facebook/etc. evolve into will become more firmly welded to the state. There'll be a combination of universal surveillance, the ability to parse and make the surveillance meaningful, and a greatly increased ability to nudge both an individual and the population generally in desired directions.

Businesses will tend more towards monopoly over time and in turn under increasing state control. Elections will matter less as a technical elite extends it's hold on power. It'll all look more moral than the Soviet Union but a hybrid of the EU and USSR might be a good model. This state will have a need to be universal over time, it's just the nature of the beast.

It might be a perfectly nice place to live, at least there'll still be a Starbucks.
Reminds of IKE, beware the military industrial complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 PM
 
196 posts, read 42,484 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Yep, and the New York Times FAILED to report it!

Hitler hated any media against him (example...NY Times) and shut down any he couldn't control. Then he extended ideological command over the remaining media through propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
16,610 posts, read 16,754,294 times
Reputation: 12670
Already there, IMHO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top