U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

12,369 posts, read 7,043,170 times

Advertisements

I remember babysitting for a couple with two very young kids and seeing a playboy magazine on their coffee table when I was around 14. Of course I looked at it. The magazine of partially naked women was shocking in those days. I didn't see a sex toy or an x rated movie until I was 23. I had zero interest in either.

times were so nave in my day: people stayed married, had children within marriage, and had sex when they were in love. dumb values....right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

4,805 posts, read 2,220,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hollywood does not seek to make movies that dont sell.

Obviously, there has been and remains an appetite for movies like this in the US and abroad.

No telling the political ideology of people watching , streaming any movie.
Lots of movies flop all the time.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

63 posts, read 9,342 times
Degenerate filth. Parents must stay on their toes...I refuse to pay the prices for the theater anyways so just have to insure this is NOT seen on our TV's.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

4,151 posts, read 1,268,017 times
Give it 5 bags of popcorn and an autographed picture of Corey Haim.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,076,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
True, it is not as bad as what you listed or not NEARLY as bad as physical or sexual abuse or extreme neglect, but I still think that parents who would allow their children to play such roles are not very good parents.

I suppose it depends on the context. For example, decent parents who have committed to properly educating their children will have presumably done so to the extent that allowing those children to play a gratuitous role in a film is nothing more than that -- playing a role for which they understand is decidedly divorced from reality. On the other hand, parents whose mode of parenting constitutes an abeyance of personal responsibility in real life may clearly demonstrate the foundation for your worry.

I tend to observe a "know and do right by the kid" mindset. For that reason, I would offer a pragmatic argument to follow in the absence of a child's mental health diagnosis:
  • Recognize that not all children are equal.
  • Recognize that not all limits are arbitrarily, and rigidly, black-and-white.
  • Act as though boundaries should be proactively discerned, established, and where rational, conquered via the support of engaged, responsible parenting.
The resilience of the average healthy child can't be understated, and fostering the capability of performing abstract thought and reasoning should be undertaken as soon as -- and to the greatest extent -- possible in my opinion. Teaching children [how] to think (rather than purely [what] to think) is paramount. I understand the desire to cloister the innocent, but doing so ends up being unhealthy in the long-term. This elucidates the essence of where parental responsibility is to play a consistent role as far as I can tell.

As an anecdotal example, it may seem counter-intuitive that my 10-year-old nephew enjoys a greater variety of film viewing privileges than does his 14-year-old older brother. There's nothing ostensibly "wrong" with either, they just interpret stimuli differently, and often under specific conditions. This is not different than many adults I know: Some can watch a news reel depicting animal cruelty while others dramatically recoil in a combination of despair and disgust at the prospect of viewing such footage. My goal is to find a way for people of any age to progressively overcome adverse opposition to confronting either fantasy or reality, if for no other reason than because both exist and persist. This is much easier to begin, in increments, as young as possible.

Sorry to be long-winded on the matter, but hopefully you (or anybody else reading this post for the matter) kind of "gets" where I'm coming from.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 26 days ago)

11,982 posts, read 15,616,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
As the war on children continues in this country, a new sick chapter is added as an upcoming Universal film portrays them playing with sex toys and saying they smell like ****. Yet another example of what the agenda is for our children today. Really sick stuff.

Now Eunice, dont get your bloomers in a wad.....

Old Today, 12:35 AM

5,189 posts, read 3,042,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I remember babysitting for a couple with two very young kids and seeing a playboy magazine on their coffee table when I was around 14. Of course I looked at it. The magazine of partially naked women was shocking in those days. I didn't see a sex toy or an x rated movie until I was 23. I had zero interest in either.

times were so nave in my day: people stayed married, had children within marriage, and had sex when they were in love. dumb values....right?
Yet, I'm sure those couples in love were in some abusive situations, got cheated on, argued alot etc.

It's just more out in the open these days.

Old Today, 01:06 AM

10,931 posts, read 23,282,541 times
This movie was/is awesome it has the potential to be as good as the first Hangover movie for the off the wall laughs...So props to Seth Rogan for making another cult classic comedy.

Old Today, 05:20 AM

2,454 posts, read 7,809,481 times
Big Yawn, like all middle school kids are perfect angels who go home and watch Mr. Rogers. I suppose if they were target shooting in the back yard with toy guns that looked like assault weapons, that would be so much better, just good clean fun.

Old Today, 06:12 AM

30,128 posts, read 15,681,915 times
The preview I saw of the movie looked funny. I plan to watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or