Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"Assault on their childhood"? I'm not even sure what that means.

Not much more than 100 years ago 11 year old girls could be married.
Perhaps I should have said "violation of their innocence"? However, it is true that most child actors are probably not very innocent! Anyway, I think you might be saying that you don't understand me, when, in fact, I think you do know what I mean, so I am not going to continue to debate with you.

And to the bolded -- Not usually n the U.S. Maybe in other countries.

Children and Youth in History | Age of Consent Laws

P.S. On Edit: The above is the closest I could find when I Googled "Age of Consent for Marriage in 1920". There was not actual table that I saw for Marriage, but in doing some scanning, it seems that age of consent and legal age for marriage is often one and the same. I could be wrong, though, of course.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-15-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:07 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Perhaps I should have said "violation of their innocence"? However, it is true that most child actors are probably not very innocent! Anyway, I think you might be saying that you don't understand me, when, in fact, I think you do know what I mean, so I am not going to continue to debate with you.

And to the bolded -- Not usually n the U.S. Maybe in other countries.

Children and Youth in History | Age of Consent Laws

P.S. On Edit: The above is the closest I could find when I Googled "Age of Consent for Marriage in 1920". There was not actual table that I saw for Marriage, but in doing some scanning, it seems that age of consent and legal age for marriage is often one and the same. I could be wrong, though, of course.

As recently as the late 1800s several states had consent laws for between 7 and 13 years of age. Your own linked data says exactly that, with the majority of states having a consent age of 10 in 1880. Hence the "not much more than" 100 years ago.

No, I'm saying I wasn't sure what you meant by "assault on their childhood", but I further disagree that it's necessarily a violation of their innocence, either.

We'll agree to disagree.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
It's a comedy.

The last trailer even has Seth Rogen explaining to the actors that they can't go see the movie they were in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asgS75u7wW0

Gah. People really need to lighten up.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:37 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
I saw the clip for this movie over the weekend. This type of humor is fine for adults but for kids this age? No! There is a time and place for everything and this crosses the line.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
You gotta be living in a cage if you think this is new. My god, get a grip & get into the year 2019.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:34 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I saw the clip for this movie over the weekend. This type of humor is fine for adults but for kids this age? No! There is a time and place for everything and this crosses the line.
The movie is R. It's not for kids. If you think actors in a movie are doing the "real thing" when it comes to any odd behavior on set, you need to do some research.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Easy enough, don't got see it.

Get off my lawn!

Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
"...as recently as the late 1800's..." ???

Child marriage to adults is still conditionally legal in all but 2 states in the US. Most do have minimum age laws, though.

Here's a pretty decent compilation of info on this subject (yeah I know, it's wikipedia, I'm not going to chase down all of the official sources though, I don't have time right now.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_..._United_States

Quote:
In April 2019, Arkansas raised the minimum marriage age for girls from 16 to 17 with parental consent, in line with that of boys. Previously, there was no minimum age for a pregnant girl to marry.[43]
Quote:
On 1 October 2017, Connecticut raised the minimum marriage age to 16, as well as requiring both parental and judicial consent for minors to marry. Previously, there was no minimum marriage age so long as a judge consented.[49]
Quote:
In May 2018, Delaware became the first state to completely ban child marriage. The marriage age in Delaware is now 18, with no exceptions. Previously, there was no minimum marriage age with parental consent and a judge's approval.[2]
Quote:
In February 2019, a bi-partisan anti-child marriage bill was voted down 39-28 by the Idaho House of Representatives. The bill would have made it illegal for anyone under 16 to get married, and for 16-17 year olds it would have required the consent of parents, a judge, and the minor themselves. All those who opposed were Republicans. Idaho has the highest rate of child marriage in the United States.[55]

Reps Bryan Zollinger and Julianne Young voted against, citing their opinion that judges should not be involved in marriages, and that parental consent was sufficient. Rep Christy Zito complained that the bill would make it harder for people to start families if they conceive a child underage, compared to abortion which is legal for minors in Idaho with permission from one parent or a judge.[55]
Quote:
In Tennessee, until 2018, there was no minimum marriage age with judicial consent. In 2001, courts allowed three 10-year-old girls to marry. In 2006, an 11-year-old boy was allowed to marry.[63] In March 2018, a proposed bill to end child marriage in Tennessee was killed.[64] The bill was revived due to political pressure, passed, and signed into law in May 2018 by Governor Haslam, preventing anyone younger than 17 from marrying in Tennessee.[11]
And so on and on...

Most of the states I'm seeing, passed their age restriction laws pretty recently. It sure as hell was not 100 years ago.

Also, and unrelated to child marriage...
It slays me how people think that children are not at all sexual, and are innocent angels by nature. Do you remember being a child? Were you actually around other children, as a child? Did you have children?

My experience tells me that children are savage little goblins, until adults teach them to behave with any kind of civility whatsoever. Left to their own devices, children will get up to all kinds of mischief. Unless they are carefully and consistently trained otherwise, they can be cruel, sexual, scatological, and utterly and completely self absorbed. Decency and empathy must be modeled and taught. It does not come naturally.

And as others have pointed out, the overt sexualization of underage GIRLS in film is hardly a new thing. It is far more disturbing to me than a few boys being shocked about sex toys and sexual talk.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
"The Hunt" and now this movie? One wonders if Universal Pictures is intentionally trying to cause controversy. I wonder how far the oldest major American movie studio has strayed from the vision and essence of primary founding father, Carl Laemmle. If he had not sold Universal Pictures in 1936 and the Laemmle family was still the company owners, I don't think even then they would be O.K. with such movies being made.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
"...as recently as the late 1800's..." ???.....
Yeah, we were discussing 11 year olds. You got data that any states in the union allowed children under 11 to get married more recently? I'm here for it. That only helps prove my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies