Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,946,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Your the first person here to mention it. Atleast that I've seen..

Sounds like they were trying to make their own version of the
SLAM.
Yup, Russia just had Chernobyl 2.0 but most ignorant Americans would rather complain about Trump not wanting cars to be required to get an extra 5-10 mpg, because at this point THAT is whats important.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM

176 posts, read 128,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
In 1963 & 1964, when the memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis were still fresh, two classic films were released, both in black in white. Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove. These two films should be mandatory viewing for anyone involved in military decision making. These two films make you think about the consequences of using nuclear weapons.
On The Beach is probably the best. The people left out of the exchange in the Southern hemisphere waiting for the radiation to reach them. Then having to decide to take poison and give it to their children vs die of radiation sickness.

I remember duck and cover and all of us digging shelters under the crawl spaces of our houses at the time. We figured Ft Knox 15 miles away was a target to destroy the gold and the tank base for sure. People had Hiroshima in mind but the bombs of the early 60's made those look like toys. We would have been better off standing under the burst.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,937,229 times
"guaranteed"?
no.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Would we be that dumb as a species?
Anything can happen. Especially if Iran gets the bomb. There is no doubt in my mind they would use it.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times
Quote:
Would we be that dumb as a species?
You'll never have a WW III, but keep dreaming as I'd venture to guess it provides you with lots of shower fantasies. At most you'll have regional non-nuclear conflicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so can a world nuclear war be won by anyone? most likely not.
Sure.

Central and South America, Africa and Asia come out as winners unscathed.

Oh, I forgot, you think there are only 5 countries on Earth: US, Israel, Britain, China and Russia.

Canada is a country, too. So is Mexico. And South Africa.

The smell of ignorance of all things nuclear on this thread is rather odious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
After the Chernobyl accident,...
What does that have to do with nuclear weapons?

I hope you're not suggest that Chernobyl is like a nuclear warhead, because that would be stupid.

Is there some part of "Helium" that you don't understand?

Here's a link to improve your understanding of Helium:

https://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele002.html

Quote:
Including Threads and The Day After
The Day After is a political propaganda flick that is not even remotely accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Iran will lob something at Israel,....
Like what?

I hope you're not going to say something stupid like a 400 kt nuclear warhead, because that would be stupid.

You cannot make thermo-nuclear weapons with U-235. You need Pu-239 which Iran doesn't have.

The limit for a U-235 fission warhead would be about 60 kt which is most unfortunate, because Iran would need something like a B-52 or a B-1 or a Russian Blinder, Bison, Badger or Bear bomber, except Iran doesn't have those, either, and, no, they can't mount something that large on a missile.

The best Iran could is a 20 kt gravity bomb mounted on the center pylon of an F-4 Phantom II or an Su-24.

That would be most unfortunate, because if the warhead is mounted on the center pylon, then they cannot mount external fuel tanks, which means those aircraft would run out of fuel a few miles west of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia without ever reaching Israel.

Won't that be exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky62 View Post
On The Beach is probably the best.
The best inaccurate film? Not hardly. The Day After is the least accurate followed by The Beach.

Only suckers believe that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anything can happen. Especially if Iran gets the bomb. There is no doubt in my mind they would use it.
Yes, Iran would use it against the three US carrier battle groups in the Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean that would be attacking Iran, but nowhere else.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,723,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yes.

Things have a way of getting out of hand especially when you have hawks like Cheney or Bolton in the wings, egging the President on. WW III would be started by us getting into it with Iran, which shares a border with Russia. Iran will lob something at Israel, Israel will nuke Iran and away we go.

well considering that no one has yet started a nuclear war, that makes your argument rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You'll never have a WW III, but keep dreaming as I'd venture to guess it provides you with lots of shower fantasies. At most you'll have regional non-nuclear conflicts.

Sure.

Central and South America, Africa and Asia come out as winners unscathed.

Oh, I forgot, you think there are only 5 countries on Earth: US, Israel, Britain, China and Russia.

Canada is a country, too. So is Mexico. And South Africa.

The smell of ignorance of all things nuclear on this thread is rather odious.

youa re right, the smell of ignorance is rather odious. you seem to have forgotten about a phenomenon called nuclear winter. even though the northern hemisphere would be essentially annialated, and the southern hemisphere virtually untouched by nuclear weapons, the amount of fallout, as well as the amount of radioactive dust and debris that would ultimately encircle the earth, would still have a huge affect on the southern hemisphere, stressing humanity to its limits, and possibly beyond.

no my friend, no one will be unaffected by an all out nuclear war.

and remember that china, india, and pakistan all have nuclear weapons, and they will use them. not to mention the number of ships and submarines that patrol the southern hemisphere that have nuclear weapons, and that there are virtually no countries in this world that dont have alliances with one cold war partner or another. and you can bet that where there is a russian, chinese, or US, or allied base in the world, regardless of where it is, it will be a target for a nuclear weapon, or two.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM

8,427 posts, read 6,807,349 times
The world has gotten into accidental wars all through history. Why would a nuclear war be any different. I am reliably informed that only cockroaches will survive a nuclear holocaust.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
WWIII is not something I worry about. More likely that Pakistan and india would nuke each other than a world war.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,644,944 times
Lest we forget, WWII went nuclear and the genie will not be put back in the bottle.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 PM

35,493 posts, read 20,860,187 times
Think will be a cyber war. Once they cut power - communication -we are defenseless. No need to burn our faces off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies