U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:59 AM

4,966 posts, read 1,982,718 times

Advertisements

I am very curious about justifications to pick Kentucky. I understand aluminum plants are very electric intensive. Is there an over supply of electric power in this area? A new hydro plant perhaps? Or is there some big market in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:08 AM

18,637 posts, read 9,139,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I am very curious about justifications to pick Kentucky. I understand aluminum plants are very electric intensive. Is there an over supply of electric power in this area? A new hydro plant perhaps? Or is there some big market in the area?
See post #8. COAL is the reason as it enables Kentucky to have low cost electricity.

Old Today, 02:15 AM

4,966 posts, read 1,982,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Aluminum plants and other energy intensive processes locate in Kentucky due to LOW ENERGY COSTS. Nothing more.
Point taken.

I checked and found residential rates at..
https://www.electricitylocal.com/states/kentucky//

Kentucky is 46th which means just 4 States have a lower residential rate. So commercial rate is also likely low.

Personally I would have picked somewhere like North Dakota. They have even lower rates. They have coal too and so much extra electricity from all the renewable wind energy that they are talking about building new high voltage long distance transmission lines.

Old Today, 03:16 AM

5,520 posts, read 3,243,489 times
The Russians were going to build a steel mill in Franklin Furnace Ohio during the Obama years but I guess the 1st black POTUS gets another pass ....

Old Today, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
There is a natural gas powered generating plant across the river in Ohio ...

Old Today, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Who wants to bet this facility actually gets built in KY though?

I doubt that too many KY residents will be that supportive of such a thing in their home state!!
Wrong!

Old Today, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I am from Kentucky and I don't want the plant....I find the whole idea about as sickening and disgusting as Mitch himself.
I think the whole matter should be investigated and Mitch probably deserves to be in prison from best that I can tell.
You don't live here!
Obama killed Eastern Kentucky and my son lost his 6 figure salary on the railroad ...

Old Today, 04:53 AM

7,181 posts, read 4,064,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
You don't live here!
Obama killed Eastern Kentucky and my son lost his 6 figure salary on the railroad ...
I do live in Kentucky, just as much as you.
Sorry, to hear your Son lost his job. I lost my job when the business I worked for went kaput under Bush.
And I had to find new work in the middle of the Recession and I was in my 50's. It happens.

Old Today, 05:57 AM

33,556 posts, read 14,144,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
At this this is an example of jobs being brought back to the United States, as opposed to the Democrats trade deals which were design to redistribute American jobs and wealth abroad to benefit foreign countries like NAFTA. And Mitch did help his own constituents here didn't he?
Sure all those foreign car companies that moved production to the US happened under a republican president.

The strange thing is that McConnell claims he wasn't aware of this company, that's rather hard to believe.

Old Today, 06:00 AM

33,556 posts, read 14,144,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
You don't live here!
Natural gas killed Eastern Kentucky, not Obama and Trump sure didn't help with his pandering and false promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or