U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:31 AM

30,059 posts, read 15,676,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Interesting that the strongest proponents of common sense gun control are police forces and the leadership in our large cities. Law enforcement is getting tired of it.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...officers-shot/

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney:

ďThis government, both on federal and state level, donít want to do anything about getting these guns off the streets and getting them out of the hands of criminals. This guy is clearly a criminal, he was a criminal ó he had, apparently a long record which Iím not sure, I donít have it in front of me ó but has been involved in the criminal justice system before. And he was able to get these weapons and a large magazine, a large amount of bullets.

ďSo whether itís our six officers who were shot or itís some 15, 17, 20-year-old kid on the streets of Philadelphia who gets shot with guns that shouldnít be in peopleís hands, itís aggravating, itís saddening and itís just something we need to do something about. And if the state and federal government donít want to stand up to the NRA and some other folks, then let us police ourselves. But they preempt us on all kinds of gun control legislation.

ďOur officers deserve to be protected and they donít deserve to be shot at by a guy for hours with an unlimited supply of weapons and an unlimited supply of bullets. So itís disgusting and we have to do something about itĒ
Lol.

Really? The people in control with guns don't want the people they control to be armed?

Next thing you're going to tell me is that the Nazi SS didn't want Jews to have guns.

No, I'm not comparing our current police departments to Nazis; I'm saying that people in power want to ensure that power, and if it ever comes to a head, if those without power have no means to oppose those with power, the powerful can do whatever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:34 AM

8,027 posts, read 6,731,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wait, what ? People kill each other in the UK ? I thought without guns it would be crime free utopia ?
Yes they certainly do - and occasionally even with guns! The difference is a lot less people get murdered, similar rates by knife, or being strangled, or clubbed to death but less overall because of 1 particular difference - the MASSIVE discrepancy when it comes to guns!

Old Today, 08:34 AM

14,457 posts, read 11,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh that's OK then, as long as "its not me", silly me, I didn't realise all those people losing their lives in all those 'mass shootings' you are having don't matter!

Sheesh I really dislike it when people from the UK and other European countries start talking smack. It seems they were the first ones to pounce on people from the US commenting about the NZ shootings and the resulting ban on service type rifles as being "none of our business" but have no issue sticking their royal noses in our business.

I do agree that just more people carrying a weapon isn't going to help. We need more GOOD people carrying. Good as in proficient and properly trained. Not permitees who "graduated" from some shake n bake Tactical Tim type "firearms academy."

The requirements for CCW training need to seriously improve. This I do agree on. That being said I would not just start denying people en masse the right to carry. Any decent honest citizen should be able to try and get their permit for CCW. BUT, you need to be able to cut it in a rigorous and intensive training program, and pass it. You will graduate being better than most cops. That's my take on that.

And the government need not be involved beyond processing applications and approving them. Training and proficiency certification is the purview of the class attended and the certifying instructors. It will be a gimme graduates are qualified.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

1,420 posts, read 317,415 times
Quote:
But knife crime between the UK and US is practically identical!!?? so what's the irrelevant point you are trying to make?? Back to the actual topic here - why do you think you are TWO HUDRED AND FIFTY times more likely to get shot to death in the US than you are in the UK? Can you answer that question without talking about acid or cars or potatoes? Its a very simple answer - really it is!?
You keep asking questions without answering them. Did you include suicides in your gun statistics?

And I would imagine that a criminal or a terrorist is 10,000,000 times less likely to get shot by the people they/he is currently trying to kill in the UK because they are sheep who have let their government neuter them and put their lives in danger from those who would do them harm.

So I don't give a s--t if I might get shot. The shooter is likely going to be seeing rounds coming from me and all my neighbors as well. I'm not a gang-banger or a drug dealer or a criminal. I'm just a guy who is not going to take ideological advice from another whose government thinks that possessing anything longer than 3 inches is dangerous. LOL. You leftists crack me up.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They sure seem to be more willing to obey gun control laws, now, don't they?
No not at all! The can't however walk into Tesco's and buy semi-automatic weapons just before knocking off the bank!!! There is the difference right there!

Old Today, 08:36 AM

52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Quote:
But knife crime between the UK and US is practically identical!!?? so what's the irrelevant point you are trying to make?? Back to the actual topic here - why do you think you are TWO HUDRED AND FIFTY times more likely to get shot to death in the US than you are in the UK? Can you answer that question without talking about acid or cars or potatoes? Its a very simple answer - really it is!?
We might not feel the need to have guns as citizens if we hadn't once been held under the oppressive thumb of one of the most brutal empires to ever exist.

One could argue that those most genetically pre-disposed to not be poodles in life left for the Americas and the collective remainder now can barely muster the fortitude to engage in much more than tersely worded statements.

Good day sir!

Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You keep asking questions without answering them. Did you include suicides in your gun statistics?

And I would imagine that a criminal or a terrorist is 10,000,000 times less likely to get shot by the people they/he is currently trying to kill in the UK because they are sheep who have let their government neuter them and put their lives in danger from those who would do them harm.

So I don't give a s--t if I might get shot. The shooter is likely going to be seeing rounds coming from me and all my neighbors as well.
Take away suicides, gangs, anybody blond and the difference will STILL be massive! But like I said if you do that then you are not comparing like for like anyway no?

Old Today, 08:37 AM

66,922 posts, read 30,640,149 times
Quote:
But that DOESN'T explain why you are 250 times more likely to get shot to death in the US does it! Perhaps YOU can tell me why that is because nobody else seems to know (and it really is a very simple answer).
That's an inaccurate statistic. It doesn't eliminate suicides, which are about 2/3 of firearm deaths in the US. It actually is one's right to commit suicide. In fact, several US states have even legalized assisted suicide.

Old Today, 08:38 AM

30,059 posts, read 15,676,412 times
Quote:
Yes they certainly do - and occasionally even with guns! The difference is a lot less people get murdered, similar rates by knife, or being strangled, or clubbed to death but less overall because of 1 particular difference - the MASSIVE discrepancy when it comes to guns!
So, do you believe national alcoholism rates are based on availability of alcohol?

If so, what alchohol restrictions in Canada keep their alcoholism rate lower than Russia?

Old Today, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We might not feel the need to have guns as citizens if we hadn't once been held under the oppressive thumb of one of the most brutal empires to ever exist.

One could argue that those most genetically pre-disposed to not be poodles in life left for the Americas and the collective remainder now can barely muster the fortitude to engage in much more than tersely worded statements.

Good day sir!
Oh here we go! Is this one of those 'the British are evil' things lol, is that because your TV has told you that? Oh hang on not 'British' just 'English' right cos the Scots are the salt of the earth yeah? I hear the price of baked beans has 'gone up' but what that has to do with the amount of people shooting each other to death in the US I don't really know? Just like your post - nothing I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies