U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2019, 04:30 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,485 posts, read 11,769,027 times
Reputation: 13508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here is one of the main problems, and it isnt' firearms. But more laws will do something ...right...


Maurice Hill , the Philly shooter.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reportedHill’s criminal rap sheet starting at age 18. The now 36 year old man was at the time booked on a gun offense for having a gun with an altered serial number.
Public records show Hill having been arrested about a dozen times since turning 18, and convicted six times on charges that involved illegal possession of guns, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. He has been in and out of prison; the longest sentence handed him came in 2010, when a federal judge gave him a 55-month term.
In 2008, he was convicted of escaping, fleeing from police, and resisting arrest. Along the way, he beat criminal charges on everything from kidnapping to attempted murder.
Hill also spent time in federal prison. In 2008, he pleaded guilty to federal firearms violations after he was caught with a Smith & Wesson .357 and later a Taurus PT .45 semiautomatic. His prior felony convictions should have barred him from owning those weapons. U.S. District Judge Paul S. Diamond sentenced him to four years and seven months in prison.


More recently, Hill was convicted of perjury in 2013 and sentenced to seven years of probation. He appeared before Common Pleas Court Judge Rayford Means for three different alleged violations of probation — at least two of them related to new cases, which he later beat- the Inquirer reported.


https://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...nal-rap-sheet/

There ya go. But these leftist gun owner haters would have us believe he and all those like him can just walk into Cabelas and walk out with a firearm. All criminals shop for weapons at Cabelas right? After all they have full auto everything, grenades, RPGs, LAW, Stingers, crw served weapons you name it. If you don't see it just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2019, 05:17 PM
 
2,201 posts, read 861,957 times
Reputation: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Australia enacted strict gun control laws and the nutters now can't get those guns.

The idea that we can't have sensible gun control laws is NRA and Russian BS.

LOL. You might want to do some research on the Australian gun ban. You're spouting nonsense based on what you THINK happened. If anything, the Australian gun ban proved that bans don't work. I thought everyone knew this by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,403 posts, read 13,487,449 times
Reputation: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
More gun control laws (in addition to the 20,000+ already on the books) won't stop a felon from illegally acquiring guns. They don't give a crap about gun laws, or any other laws for that matter. They simply don't obey them. How many times do the gun control nutters have to be told that? Are they really that dense? /smh
Why can't the U. S. as one of the most highly incarcerated countries in the world put people in prison who commit crimes with the aid of guns and keep them there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 PM
 
48,952 posts, read 45,897,848 times
Reputation: 15556
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why can't the U. S. as one of the most highly incarcerated countries in the world put people in prison who commit crimes with the aid of guns and keep them there?
Because the laws vary by state. Some states punish more harshly than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,271 posts, read 6,423,889 times
Reputation: 12569
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why can't the U. S. as one of the most highly incarcerated countries in the world put people in prison who commit crimes with the aid of guns and keep them there?
Because of pushback on "mass incarceration."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
 
11,089 posts, read 2,879,097 times
Reputation: 7491
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why can't the U. S. as one of the most highly incarcerated countries in the world put people in prison who commit crimes with the aid of guns and keep them there?
Thats what 'the brady bill' intended to do...but it didnt work out so well.


Guns are just like drugs today, the illegal ones are flowing into the country as much as illegal drugs are, its no secret that drug dealers can also obtain guns for the right price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
 
Location: SE UK
8,049 posts, read 6,752,931 times
Reputation: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, your argument is that these "gunnutters" are so enamored by the second amendment, that more than half kill themselves? Do you not see there is zero logic in what you are saying?


The others are thugs and I'm sure there are many that are domestic disputes also.


11 Children were killed since June in St. Louis....in Drive by shootings, were these also gunnutters or were these thugs?







I just answered your question with a lot or relevance...whether or not you are able to understand that is a different story.







You have to provide something to argue against...which you have not....


Unless as I stated before, is your argument really, that people are so enamored by the 2nd amendment, they are killing themselves because of the second amendment?


"2nd amendment (whatever the hell that means)"


As for this quote^^^^ you should look it up and read it, then you still may or may not understand it....


Instead of saying, whatever that means....





It's not, but do tell, since you seem to be so full of facts here...where is most of the violence, AND would most of those people even follow new laws?





300,000,000 guns in the United States....using your figure of 30,000 (I'll give you 40K, just for giggles) can you figure out the possibility of being shot and killed...and then take out those that committed suicide, then re-do the math....


Being killed by a gun, is so far down the line of how you can be killed here in the U.S.A., but yet, you don't care about facts....

NOTHING to argue against! lol the fact that the US has FAR more people shot to death than every other first world country - BY SOME DISTANCE, how is that for 'something to argue against', you can try discounting black people, you can try talking about cars or the weather but there really is NO arguing against that simple fact.




https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/gu...SAAEgJEP_D_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
 
Location: SE UK
8,049 posts, read 6,752,931 times
Reputation: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Now calculate that by the number of guns per country.

UK: 1.8 million (1.3 million shotguns, 500,000 other firearms)

US: 450 million (as determined by the CRS and the CDC)

The US has 250 times more guns than the UK, and has 250 times more gun deaths than the UK. Looks like the US is on par with the UK in regards to gun deaths per gun. So, the UK's strict gun control laws aren't doing any better than the US.
Of course the 'strict' gun laws work because there are 250 times more gun deaths in the US right! Good lord we are not just talking maths here, we are talking about PEOPLES LIVES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
 
Location: SE UK
8,049 posts, read 6,752,931 times
Reputation: 5479
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
LOL. You might want to do some research on the Australian gun ban. You're spouting nonsense based on what you THINK happened. If anything, the Australian gun ban proved that bans don't work. I thought everyone knew this by now.
Of course they work, that's why in Australia thousands of people aren't shot to death every year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
10,037 posts, read 5,592,057 times
Reputation: 8489
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Of course they work, that's why in Australia thousands of people aren't shot to death every year!

No, they are just sexually assaulted.


http://www.city-data.com/forum/55965362-post187.html


It's all very well to examine things in a vacuum and say, "Because there are no guns, people aren't being shot." but rather irresponsible to draw or imply from that that people are not being harmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top