Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,888,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sheesh I really dislike it when people from the UK and other European countries start talking smack. It seems they were the first ones to pounce on people from the US commenting about the NZ shootings and the resulting ban on service type rifles as being "none of our business" but have no issue sticking their royal noses in our business.

I do agree that just more people carrying a weapon isn't going to help. We need more GOOD people carrying. Good as in proficient and properly trained. Not permitees who "graduated" from some shake n bake Tactical Tim type "firearms academy."

The requirements for CCW training need to seriously improve. This I do agree on. That being said I would not just start denying people en masse the right to carry. Any decent honest citizen should be able to try and get their permit for CCW. BUT, you need to be able to cut it in a rigorous and intensive training program, and pass it. You will graduate being better than most cops. That's my take on that.

And the government need not be involved beyond processing applications and approving them. Training and proficiency certification is the purview of the class attended and the certifying instructors. It will be a gimme graduates are qualified.
Not me, if you want to talk about somebody in NZ shooting you go right ahead. Hmmm I wonder if in New Zealand they decided to arm themselves even more afterwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 AM

88,557 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No not at all! The can't however walk into Tesco's and buy semi-automatic weapons just before knocking off the bank!!! There is the difference right there!
How did the Philly shooter get his guns? Convicted felon. Gun control laws supposedly prohibit him from owning/possessing guns. So, rest assured, he didn't buy his guns at Walmart.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,434,786 times
Quote:
Take away suicides, gangs, anybody blond and the difference will STILL be massive! But like I said if you do that then you are not comparing like for like anyway no?
Plus, your country is not even as big as Florida. So there's that as well.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM

28,911 posts, read 14,260,133 times
Quote:
But that DOESN'T explain why you are 250 times more likely to get shot to death in the US does it! Perhaps YOU can tell me why that is because nobody else seems to know (and it really is a very simple answer).

Using your logic. Places like the UAE which has very lax firearms laws should be a warzone , yet it isn't. It has lax firearms laws and some one of the lowest gun crime rates in the world.

Please explain that ? If guns are the problem, why aren't they in the UAE ? Or Switzerland ? I understand the Swiss have some restrictions but they are on par with some of our states here... yet the Swiss don't have the issues we do.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You realize that actually happened, no? Hitler and the Nazis disarmed the Jews (banned them from owning guns), then systematically executed 6+ million of them when they could no longer fight back.
Nazis!!! LOL well that's VERY relevant to 21st Century US isn't it! lol, tell me is 30'000 lives worth it? You know just in case Adolf Hitler is still alive and decides to try and 'invade'?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Using your logic. Places like the UAE which has very lax firearms laws should be a warzone , yet it isn't. It has lax firearms laws and some one of the lowest gun crime rates in the world.

Please explain that ? If guns are the problem, why aren't they in the UAE ? Or Switzerland ? I understand the Swiss have some restrictions but they are on par with some of our states here... yet the Swiss don't have the issues we do.
Switzerland has FAR more restrictions lol!! And as for comparing the US to the UAE!!!! lol, perhaps you should compare it to Afghanistan too!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Plus, your country is not even as big as Florida. So there's that as well.
Yes but my dad is bigger than your dad so there! Come on really what the hell has that got to do with it!???

Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,230,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just want to note that Pennsylvania (where Philadelphia is located) has more licensed hunters open carrying firearms the Monday after Thanksgiving than the US Army has on active duty.
PA is an Open Carry State. Did you know that? I live across the road from Tobyhanna State Game Lands. Yes, I have seen hunters during season open carrying guns. How do I know they are hunters and not just armed citizens? They are wearing orange hats or vests. That is a State Law for Hunters.

I have never seen people open carrying the rest of the year.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,444,545 times
Quote:
Nazis!!! LOL well that's VERY relevant to 21st Century US isn't it! lol, tell me is 30'000 lives worth it? You know just in case Adolf Hitler is still alive and decides to try and 'invade'?
What happened in Germany is one of me examples of what a government is capable of doing to its citizens.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM

28,911 posts, read 14,260,133 times
Quote:
Switzerland has FAR more restrictions lol!! And as for comparing the US to the UAE!!!! lol, perhaps you should compare it to Afghanistan too!

Nice cop out. The UAE and Afghanistan are worlds apart from each other.

Here in my state, I have to have a license to carry, I have to have a background check done for purchases, and my handguns have to be registered. Tell me how the Swiss are that much more restrictive ?

Look at the restrictions the state of California has, yet they've had mass shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies