Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

YAY! I saw some of the posts on their website that were more filled with excrement than have seen ANYWHERE else! (Btw, this was when I was researching something, and parts of the posts appeared on the Google main search page -- I did not actually go INTO their site.)

I am all for freedom of speech 99.5% of the time, but these people are absolutely disgusting and do nothing but promote hate -- and sometimes even violence.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-15-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There are no white supremacists.
Kristen Clarke is the President & Executive Director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights. The Lawyers’ Committee is a national civil rights & racial justice organization created at the request of President John F. Kennedy in 1963.

An excerpt from Ms. Clarke's statement at the HOUSE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY HEARING ON “HATE CRIMES AND THE RISE OF WHITE NATIONALISM” APRIL 9, 2019:

Quote:
White supremacist activity increased around the 2008 Census projection that racial and ethnic minorities will make up a majority of the U.S. population by 2042.v Last year, we saw a 20-year record high number of active hate groups.vi

The white supremacist movement has sought to re-brand itself and become more palatable to broader audiences. Instead of hiding behind masks, they hide behind computer screens. Instead of “white supremacy,” they say “white nationalism.” But the actions of online white supremacists are new in form but not substance. By directing hateful threats, intimidation, and harassment online at African Americans, Latinos, immigrants, Muslims, Jews, and other historically marginalized communities, they follow the same script as generations of white supremacists that assaulted civil rights activists at lunch counters, defaced houses of worship, and berated children on their way to school.
https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/J...K-20190409.pdf

Ms. Clarke filed on behalf of Taylor Dumpson against Andrew Anglin.

Read more about recent legal action against Andrew Anglin, the publisher of the neo-Nazi website.

Student Targeted by ‘Troll Storm’ Hopes Settlement Will Send Message to White SupremacistsDec. 21, 2018

Daily Stormer Founder Should Pay ‘Troll Storm’ Victim $14 Million, Judge SaysJuly 16, 2019

Comedian Wins $4.1 Million in Lawsuit Against The Daily StormerJune 17, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/10/u...r-dumpson.html

Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I love government speak. It's like dirty talk as your mistress/master whips you...if you're into that type of thing.
It's even better in a "deep throat" voice

Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It wasn't a "landmark decision". It was a default judgment.
Says you. Read the filing:

https://lawyerscommittee.org/wp-cont...t-Judgment.pdf

Old 08-15-2019, 04:19 PM

952 posts, read 323,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
National Civil Rights Organization Wins Lawsuit Against Daily Stormer and White Supremacists Engaging in Online Threats and Harassment

In a landmark decision, court rules that hateful online trolling can constitute interference with the equal enjoyment of public accommodations.

I wonder who will hear this message?
Hopefully all 6000 of them will hear this .

Old 08-15-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I love government speak. It's like dirty talk as your mistress/master whips you...if you're into that type of thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's even better in a "deep throat" voice
Creepy & tmi.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Hopefully all 6000 of them will hear this .
Here's more:

Justice Department Settles Discrimination Lawsuit Against Owners and Operators of Houston, Texas-Based Sports Bar

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...-houston-texas

Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
While such sentiments are impolite and not acceptable, a legal ruling against the idiot is an infringement on the first amendment. In reading the article, it looks like the group threatened her with violence, which, of course, is illegal. It will be interesting to see what is parsed out on appeal as what constituted free speech and what was a true physical threat.

I am really surprised that the ACLU has not taken this case up on an appeal, as it will be interesting. Hate groups everywhere, like ANTIFA, BLM, SPLC, KKK, and neo Nazi groups should take notice of this ruling, as it will have precedence in future cases.

Despite language being objectionable, citizens should have the right to say whatever they want, as long as it is not causing damage to someone. Hurting their feelings should not be illegal. They really crossed the line with the threats, however.

There was a similar case tried locally in which a student dressed in a gorilla suit and offered bananas to BLM members who were protesting on campus. Ultimately, the defendant was found innocent, as he did not harm or threaten the BLM protesters. Certainly the guy was an idiot, but being stupid is not illegal.

One thing that I think is interesting is that the action taken by the group was against a college student (a kid). It similarly always shocks me when I attend a college football game and hear some of the terrible things said to the players on the bench (the seats are ten feet away from the player's bench in this stadium). They are kids, for Christ's sake, and adults are saying these things to them. When they pull off their helmets, there is just a kid looking back at you, not some inanimate monster in a uniform. Have some civility.
Well, causing damage does include triggering and hurting another's feelings. However, there are consequences for things like that: getting beat-up (not good either), harassment suits, job termination, and more.

I wonder what legal measures they would use to indicate "Yes, we legally violated the First Amendment" and what consequences would apply to the violator. Practically speaking, the federal government has violated the First Amendment so many times.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
National Civil Rights Organization Wins Lawsuit Against Daily Stormer and White Supremacists Engaging in Online Threats and Harassment

In a landmark decision, court rules that hateful online trolling can constitute interference with the equal enjoyment of public accommodations..
I wonder who will hear this message?
Yawn. It a district court. It's not "landmark" until the Supreme Ct. weighs in.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I am really surprised that the ACLU has not taken this case up on an appeal.

They sold out to the Left so don't hold your breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies