U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM

1,563 posts, read 301,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
As long as I have to flip the bill on the healthcare for smokers, I want the biggest warning sign on it I can get.
Now if you don't use Medicare at 65+ when the big bucks are spent on COPD and lung cancer, then do what you want.

Doing "what you want" for 40 years in this case should lead you to a grave or on your private insurance, not in a hospital being cared for by tax payers.
Do you feel the same way about obesity ? That's also a huge cost to the healthcare system the older one gets.

14% smoke as of 2016 and that number is decreasing each year.
26% are obese and that number is increasing each year.

I think you can leave the cigs alone...it's use is waning out naturally.

How's about some gross pictures on ice cream to deter obesity ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 1,873,518 times
Quote:
As long as I have to flip the bill on the healthcare for smokers, I want the biggest warning sign on it I can get.
Now if you don't use Medicare at 65+ when the big bucks are spent on COPD and lung cancer, then do what you want.

Doing "what you want" for 40 years in this case should lead you to a grave or on your private insurance, not in a hospital being cared for by tax payers.
You might not be as important as you think.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:53 PM

158 posts, read 32,912 times
Quote:

PArt of the problem of socialized medicine.

You're laying out the justification to now control salt, fats, your daily calorie intake, childcare etc.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
PArt of the problem of socialized medicine.

You're laying out the justification to now control salt, fats, your daily calorie intake, childcare etc.
But that is exactly socialized medicine.

When the government controls you they get to call the shots.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As someone who lost a grandparent to cancer from smoking, I am all for saving someone else’s grandparent via deterrence..

I love freedom more than I hate bad lifestyle choices. Free people need to be free to fail

Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
How's about some gross pictures on ice cream to deter obesity ?

Thats awesome

Grotesque pictures on salt shakers, tubs of KFC, big gulps, round-up...heck, wrap a whole motorcycle in an image of a guy dead in a ditch.

It's absurd. Just let us adults live free and make choices for ourselves on the soil we pay for. Build roads and shut your faces.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:59 PM

11,805 posts, read 2,919,892 times
Years ago there was a commercial featuring smokers with lung cancer smoking through their blow holes

Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM

30,156 posts, read 16,645,414 times
Oh praise Uncle Sammy for keeping us safe!

Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM

46,829 posts, read 34,444,561 times
Smoking is one of those issues that is as non-partisan as it gets.

The US has trailed what's happening with packaging in the EU for decades.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
Thats awesome

Grotesque pictures on salt shakers, tubs of KFC, big gulps, round-up...heck, wrap a whole motorcycle in an image of a guy dead in a ditch.

It's absurd. Just let us adults live free and make choices for ourselves on the soil we pay for. Build roads and shut your faces.
LOL..just spend an afternoon at the entrance doors to Walmart and take pictures.
Would be enough to scare anyone into dieting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or