U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

30,120 posts, read 16,626,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
With more than 480,000 fatalities each year, cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Though the habit has declined, an estimated 34 million adults still smoke — and about 16 million are battling smoking-related diseases, the CDC said.

“The new graphic warnings are a dramatic improvement over the current text-only warnings that have become stale and unnoticed,” said a joint statement from leading health organizations, including the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics. “They are supported by extensive scientific evidence, and they will help the United States catch up to the 120-plus countries that have adopted this best-practice strategy to reduce tobacco use and save lives.”

Smoking is the deadliest behavior we engage in AND more people die from smoking than from anything else.

Continuing to raise awareness about the consequences of smoking is a no brainer to me. This is an important role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Smoking,why isnt it banned? And Isn't that the role of the FDA? Hmmm something stinks

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; Yesterday at 07:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

2,435 posts, read 666,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Smoking,why isnt banned? And Isn't that the role of the FDA? Hmmm something stinks
I really don't understand what you are implying, but I was just completing my comments in post #51, with the following, as you wrote yours:

Continuing to raise awareness about the consequences of smoking is a no brainer to me. This is an important role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The only groups opposing the new warnings are the tobacco companies...gosh I wonder why?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...advertisements

The FDA’s proposed warnings, mandated by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009, come years after it unsuccessfully sought to require similarly graphic labels. Those were blocked in court by tobacco companies that claimed the warnings violated their First Amendment rights.

Last edited by corpgypsy; Yesterday at 08:10 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

5,598 posts, read 2,424,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
History has shown they are helpful. Cry me a less-free river.
Lol. Don't know any smokers do you?

They're not.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

150 posts, read 31,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Smoking,why isnt banned? And Isn't that the role of the FDA? Hmmm something stinks
At least that would be a principled position, if the FDA comes out and says, "cigarettes with a 50% mortality rate, are unfit for human consumption," fine.

But to on one hand permit the sale thereof, collect taxes on them, but then demonize and dehumanize smokers, is just plain sick.

Kinda like allowing a pourous border but knowing full well that people are murdered and raped crossing, then once here they're treated like second class citizens and slaves without any status. Even more sick...But thats another discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

2,435 posts, read 666,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
At least that would be a principled position, if the FDA comes out and says, "cigarettes with a 50% mortality rate, are unfit for human consumption," fine.

But to on one hand permit the sale thereof, collect taxes on them, but then demonize and dehumanize smokers, is just plain sick.

Kinda like allowing a pourous border but knowing full well that people are murdered and raped crossing, then once here they're treated like second class citizens and slaves without any status. Even more sick...But thats another discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

9,765 posts, read 5,472,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As someone who lost a grandparent to cancer from smoking, I am all for saving someone else’s grandparent via deterrence..
I think they should post pics of human fat and graphic images of obese people on the packages of fast food...

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I really don't understand what you are implying, but I was just completing my comments with the following as you posted:

Continuing to raise awareness about the consequences of smoking is a no brainer to me. This is an important role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The only groups opposing the new warnings are the tobacco companies...gosh I wonder why?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...advertisements

The FDA’s proposed warnings, mandated by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009, come years after it unsuccessfully sought to require similarly graphic labels. Those were blocked in court by tobacco companies that claimed the warnings violated their First Amendment rights.
You dont see the inconsistency with an agency that in its own words
Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is responsible for protecting the public health by ensuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, and medical devices; and by ensuring the safety of our nation's food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.
And in your own words: "more people die from smoking than from anything else."
Said watchdog agency deals with said lethal hazard by placing a label on it and calling it a day, all the while benefitting greatly from the tax dollars generated by the sale of it.
Meanwhile the same agency; bans, prohibits, stonewalls,limits the availability of,makes cost prohibitive, etc., certain substances that are beneficial or may prove such to the end user.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

11,038 posts, read 10,999,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Excellent point. I have said for a long time that we need to do with booze what we've done with tobacco. Make the tax something like 1000%, or even more. How many 21 year olds would be buying a six pack or a shot if it cost a couple hundred dollars?
Would certainly help plug Trump's trillion dollar annual deficits

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Excellent point. I have said for a long time that we need to do with booze what we've done with tobacco. Make the tax something like 1000%, or even more. How many 21 year olds would be buying a six pack or a shot if it cost a couple hundred dollars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Would certainly help plug Trump's trillion dollar annual deficits
So no longer a health threat once taxed sufficiently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or