Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM

43,016 posts, read 18,195,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
In all fairness to the FDA, maybe they aren't good multitaskers.

You can't create a comprehensive food pyramid while you're simultaneously raiding an Amish farmer (in complete SWAT gear) for selling raw milk to his neighbor.

So many people to save and so little time...God bless the FDA for trying!
That should be the motto for the FDA. Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,620,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
I don't smoke cigarettes but enough is enough with being told how to live our lives, and government wagging it's finger at us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/15/fda-...tte-packs.html

The law is on the books not allowing sales to minors. Full stop. How about enforcing that? Once you're 18, its your duty to inform yourself and make your own choices. These grotesque warning labels are a sickening overreach and bad precedent, that furthermore violate the first amendment.
The FDA is also proposing to put graphic warning signs on fast food containers and fried chicken buckets.

It’s a picture of Trump in his golf attire.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,310,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
I don't smoke cigarettes but enough is enough with being told how to live our lives, and government wagging it's finger at us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/15/fda-...tte-packs.html

The law is on the books not allowing sales to minors. Full stop. How about enforcing that? Once you're 18, its your duty to inform yourself and make your own choices. These grotesque warning labels are a sickening overreach and bad precedent, that furthermore violate the first amendment.
statistically proven that smoking is inversely correlated to education level (kinda like voting for Trump, unsurprisingly).

These graphics will help illiterate smokers make better decisions and stop wasting our healthcare dollars

Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

It’s a picture of Trump in his golf attire.
That has to be a violation of the 4th amendment

Old 08-15-2019, 02:52 PM

30,608 posts, read 18,175,005 times
While I'm not against the images as a general matter, I do have a problem with government trying to mandate them on private companies, especially since the dangers of tobacco are WELL known. Hell, I argue that they should've been well known to any reasonable person 80 years ago, too, regardless of the lies told by the tobacco industry . . . seriously, did fools actually think that inhaling smoke (literally cooking their insides) was harmless?

Old 08-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I'm not against the images as a general matter, I do have a problem with government trying to mandate them on private companies, especially since the dangers of tobacco are WELL known. Hell, I argue that they should've been well known to any reasonable person 80 years ago, too, regardless of the lies told by the tobacco industry . . . seriously, did fools actually think that inhaling smoke (literally cooking their insides) was harmless?
People thought alcohol was healthy in moderation, now even moderate consumption has been proven to be associated with higher risks of certain cancers

Old 08-15-2019, 03:07 PM

45,189 posts, read 26,403,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
People thought alcohol was healthy in moderation, now even moderate consumption has been proven to be associated with higher risks of certain cancers
I'm hopeful dr. uncle sam can come up with some guidelines for eternal life.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,007,174 times
High school seniors should be required to take a class in 'smoke shaming.'
Is 'smoke shaming' a good or bad idea?

Any sales person (or politician) will tell you that person-to-person contact is the single most effective form of persuasion. Imagine if we had thousands upon thousands of newly-minted 'smoke shamers' graduating from high school each year!

Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,007,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Excellent point. I have said for a long time that we need to do with booze what we've done with tobacco. Make the tax something like 1000%, or even more. How many 21 year olds would be buying a six pack or a shot if it cost a couple hundred dollars?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,705,603 times
With more than 480,000 fatalities each year, cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Though the habit has declined, an estimated 34 million adults still smoke — and about 16 million are battling smoking-related diseases, the CDC said.

“The new graphic warnings are a dramatic improvement over the current text-only warnings that have become stale and unnoticed,” said a joint statement from leading health organizations, including the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics. “They are supported by extensive scientific evidence, and they will help the United States catch up to the 120-plus countries that have adopted this best-practice strategy to reduce tobacco use and save lives.”

Smoking is the deadliest behavior we engage in AND more people die from smoking than from anything else.

Continuing to raise awareness about the consequences of smoking is a no brainer to me. This is an important role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The only groups opposing the new warnings are the tobacco companies...gosh I wonder why?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...advertisements

The FDA’s proposed warnings, mandated by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009, come years after it unsuccessfully sought to require similarly graphic labels. Those were blocked in court by tobacco companies that claimed the warnings violated their First Amendment rights.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 08-16-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies