Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

A teacher can retire at 55, if a teacher started at 22 in that state they can retire at 57 with 35 years of service with 75% of their "final average salary" and the average female teacher who retires can expect to live to an average of 90.

If they retire at 57, a female teacher who taught IL schools can expect about 33 years of pension which means if they retired this year they would be collecting until 2052 on average.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/nearl...pension-costs/

https://www.benefitspro.com/2019/02/...20190715125312

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...etirement-age/

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...etirement-age/

There was a study done and the average female teacher lives to 90. That means that many who retire this year.

A teacher retiring at 57 this year in Illinois for instance if female can on average expect to draw a pension of 75% of their final average salary until 2052.

Will be interesting to see how much of the funding will be going to students in a decade or will it go just to teachers who are not teaching anymore and sitting on the porch while they get big pension checks month after month

36% of student spending allocated towards pensions in Illinois.

About $900 of per student pending went to pensions in 2000, in 2020 it will be $5,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 11:06 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Abolish public education.

Ready to take the leap OP or are you too scared?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Abolish public education.

Ready to take the leap OP or are you too scared?
Ultra-low quality government schools aren't going anywhere, but it would be nice if they would discontinue tax-payer funded education.

I am all for education as long as the parents pay for it whether it's through a cooperative, individually, home school.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well then they need to raise taxes. The state did make that promise to teachers didn't they ?
And the state isn't going back on it are they ?

FWIW lots of people think corporations got rid of pensions because they were "greedy".
Actually it has more to do with numbers. People retiring earlier and living longer puts a big drag on a company's finances. And companies have to earn their revenue unlike governments who get sent money by taxpayers.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:59 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Ultra-low quality government schools aren't going anywhere, but it would be nice if they would discontinue tax-payer funded education.

I am all for education as long as the parents pay for it whether it's through a cooperative, individually, home school.
Government doesn't want parental influence on their child's education or any other alternatives outside of government control.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:17 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Welcome to the US looking like 3rd world countries as far as literacy and math go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well then they need to raise taxes. The state did make that promise to teachers didn't they ?
And the state isn't going back on it are they ?

FWIW lots of people think corporations got rid of pensions because they were "greedy".
Actually it has more to do with numbers. People retiring earlier and living longer puts a big drag on a company's finances. And companies have to earn their revenue unlike governments who get sent money by taxpayers.
It is both. Companies are increasingly looking at only 2 things. C level pay and shareholder payout. This has always been mostly true but is now emphasized much more.

Note IL has safeguarding pensions in their state constitution.

Silly idea to start. You get the pension at age 65-67 AKA full retirement age.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
It's a beautiful system isn't it? I did 34 years at 55 years of age, from the feds, then retired.

67 now, been collecting a 6 figure yearly pension for 12 years. if I could hold on until 90 I'll have collected well over 3 million in pension checks. That was the deal I signed onto many years ago.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:28 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
We need to revert to a system that requires teachers to be spinsters. That would solve a lot of problems.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:29 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
It's a beautiful system isn't it? I did 34 years at 55 years of age, from the feds, then retired.

67 now, been collecting a 6 figure yearly pension for 12 years. if I could hold on until 90 I'll have collected well over 3 million in pension checks. That was the deal I signed onto many years ago.
Congrats..that's one sweet retirement.
I remember that long ago working for the government was shunned because they paid less then private industry. People got jobs there more for the benefits than the pay.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Compared to the private sector, these teachers live like kings and queens at the public trough. You could have a skilled professional making twice or more what a teacher does, and ultimately end up much worse off than the teacher at retirement.

It makes the blood boil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies