U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,780,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perhaps Chevy our resident lawyer can clarify. It is my understanding that an Act is more flexible than something that is considered a law.

For example, The Conflict of Interest Act comes up for review, every five years. I don't know of any law that does that.

Like I said though, a fine line.
No message yet. Thought I had one, then I realized that I had not done enough research. Sorry, all, but I hope to have something soon.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; Yesterday at 03:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM

18,435 posts, read 10,497,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Canada State Media is Clear on this. There is only a violation IF a Conservative is in Violation.
The “Intent” was to “save Canada”, therefor it’s all OK.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it.
If it wasn’t for Double Standards, Leftists would have NO Standards at all.
Classic case of "fear projection". Whimpy whiners wouldn't understand how some do not thrive on attaching a childish slur upon a whole segment of their population simply because of their political affiliation.

You took notice of the fact that the media are reporting all aspects of this. That Trudeau himself has said he alone is responsible. They're also reporting across the nation that this puts him in a polling deficit against Scheer the Conservative contender.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...ader-walking-/

The media is reporting what Trudeau is using as his raison-d-etre for interfering; the fact that SNC Lavalin threatened to lay off thousands and close a number of facilities if they came under a full blown criminal review.

The media is reporting that Trudeau has not heard the last of this and that he may come under further investigation.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/hous...port-1.4551432

Oh, and don't forget that there exists in Canada an Ethics Commissioner who is empowered to review cases such as these and make the determination known publicly by reporting findings to the entire sitting house of parliament with the Prime Minister sitting there having to take the heat rather then hiding out back at the "palace".

Canada's leaders are required to attend the daily question period instead of behaving like a Royal personage not having to mingle with the peasants and issuing all missives from his throne room.

Something else you should take note of; Trudeau has as good as lost all chances of re-election because he "attempted to influence his Attorney General".

Imagine that! A functioning democracy in action.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

12,802 posts, read 8,875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No message yet. Thought I had one, then I realized that I had not done enough research. Sorry, all, but I hope to have something soon.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

12,706 posts, read 11,248,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Canada State Media is Clear on this. There is only a violation IF a Conservative is in Violation.
The “Intent” was to “save Canada”, therefor it’s all OK.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it.
If it wasn’t for Double Standards, Leftists would have NO Standards at all.
There are all kind of media streams in Canada, so you are way off with the whole "State Media" thing. It must be easy living life when things are so black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Something else you should take note of; Trudeau has as good as lost all chances of re-election because he "attempted to influence his Attorney General".

I wouldn't bet on it. The opposition is so weak - especially his primary challenger in Scheer. I'm no Trump fan in the least, and Scheer is no Trump for sure, but at least Trump has some charisma and you can't deny the entertainment value. Scheer on the other hand Is as exciting as a dead log.

This is by far the worst group of options Federally since I've been able to vote. We have a PM in denial that he actually has no clue what prosecutorial independence means and how important that is for a democracy. All he had to do from the beginning is he admitted he screwed up and apologized and this would have been behind him. Instead its like a rolodex of repetition about wanting to save jobs with him - annoying and tone deaf BUT BUT looky at the other options. An NDP candidate who just can't connect with the country (man if only Layton were still here) and Andrew Scheer the dead log guy zzzzzzzzzzzzz he is like the Michael Ignatieff of Conservatives without the academic cred… Maybe i'll vote Communist this October :P

Last edited by fusion2; Yesterday at 08:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

18,435 posts, read 10,497,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are all kind of media streams in Canada, so you are way off with the whole "State Media" thing. It must be easy living life when things are so black and white.

I wouldn't bet on it. The opposition is so weak - especially his primary challenger in Scheer. I'm no Trump fan in the least, and Scheer is no Trump for sure, but at least Trump has some charisma and you can't deny the entertainment value. Scheer on the other hand Is as exciting as a dead log.

This is by far the worst group of options Federally since I've been able to vote. We have a PM in denial that he actually has no clue what prosecutorial independence means and how important that is for a democracy. All he had to do from the beginning is he admitted he screwed up and apologized and this would have been behind him. Instead its like a rolodex of repetition about wanting to save jobs with him - annoying and tone deaf BUT BUT looky at the other options. An NDP candidate who just can't connect with the country (man if only Layton were still here) and Andrew Scheer the dead log guy zzzzzzzzzzzzz he is like the Michael Ignatieff of Conservatives without the academic cred… Maybe i'll vote Communist this October :P
Well gee; Fuz, aren't you forgetting about Lizzy May?

Couldn't agree with you more about the 'runtlings' we've got to pick from this cycle. Is it just me or do they seem to get worse about every 5 years or so.

If Trudeau's lack of basic judgement led to this embarrassing fiasco, what other things has he allowed his Bachelor of Arts degree to over-ride his Bachelor of Education degree?

Scheer was the worst pick of many Conservatives that would have been far better at connecting with Canadians. My riding for instance, has Michael Chong and my county is represented by Ted Arnott, both of whom have worked tirelessly for their constituents. I would have taken either of those over the 'smarmy' Scheer any day.

Old Today, 12:22 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,780,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can only think of one source of state media in Canada: CBC (English)/Radio-Canada (French).

Private media, on the other hand, are numerous: CTV, Global, the Globe and Mail, Torstar, Postmedia, QMI, Canadian Press, and the list goes on. They have their biases, of course, ranging from left to right to centrist, but they are all privately-owned, and none are supported or influenced by any government.

Quote:
We have a PM in denial that he actually has no clue what prosecutorial independence means and how important that is for a democracy.
Many people complain that too many lawyers are in charge of government, and what we really need in Parliament are non-lawyers. To a degree, I agree with them (believe it or not), and I think that non-lawyers' views can contribute, as backbenchers, to good governance. But in important positions, such as Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, you want lawyers. Why? Because they know how to draft statute laws, how to read and interpret statute laws, understand constitutional precedent and interpretation; and most importantly, understand such things as conflicts-of-interest, what the legal philosophy of "rule-of-law" really means, lawyer-client privilege, and prosecutorial independence. In fairness, Mr. Trudeau has surrounded himself with qualified advisors, and has taken their advice in many matters; but in some matters, such as the SNC-Lavalin affair, it appears that he did not. Perhaps, as a non-lawyer, Mr. Trudeau simply did not understand the importance of these things from a legal perspective.

I'm still reading through the Commissioner's report (phew! It's long,) and the statute in question, but I do have to make time for real life (hey, it's the weekend, and I want to play golf). Hope nobody minds.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

12,706 posts, read 11,248,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well gee; Fuz, aren't you forgetting about Lizzy May?

Couldn't agree with you more about the 'runtlings' we've got to pick from this cycle. Is it just me or do they seem to get worse about every 5 years or so.

If Trudeau's lack of basic judgement led to this embarrassing fiasco, what other things has he allowed his Bachelor of Arts degree to over-ride his Bachelor of Education degree?

Scheer was the worst pick of many Conservatives that would have been far better at connecting with Canadians. My riding for instance, has Michael Chong and my county is represented by Ted Arnott, both of whom have worked tirelessly for their constituents. I would have taken either of those over the 'smarmy' Scheer any day.
Yeah man - this cycle is super bad. First two years into Trudeau's mandate I thought I wouldn't have this problem for as long as he would run - a liberal dream and then well, Trudeau became like his Liberal predecessors - arrogant and corrupt. Not impressed especially when I fell for the whole I am different b.s - Maybe i'll pen in Lizzie May on the ballot and call it a day

One thing I was actually ok with was the fact he wasn't a lawyer. We have enough of those in Politics. Anyway, i'm going to just watch the debates and see how things go. End up plugging my nose while I fill the ballot box

Quote:
I can only think of one source of state media in Canada: CBC (English)/Radio-Canada (French).

Private media, on the other hand, are numerous: CTV, Global, the Globe and Mail, Torstar, Postmedia, QMI, Canadian Press, and the list goes on. They have their biases, of course, ranging from left to right to centrist, but they are all privately-owned, and none are supported or influenced by any government.
All media outlets are going to have a bias. It is no different in the U.S uhem CNN, Fox News are perfect examples of outlets pandering to a left or right base. They are just more explicit about it than CAD one's are.

Quote:
Many people complain that too many lawyers are in charge of government, and what we really need in Parliament are non-lawyers. To a degree, I agree with them (believe it or not), and I think that non-lawyers' views can contribute, as backbenchers, to good governance. But in important positions, such as Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, you want lawyers. Why? Because they know how to draft statute laws, how to read and interpret statute laws, understand constitutional precedent and interpretation; and most importantly, understand such things as conflicts-of-interest, what the legal philosophy of "rule-of-law" really means, lawyer-client privilege, and prosecutorial independence. In fairness, Mr. Trudeau has surrounded himself with qualified advisors, and has taken their advice in many matters; but in some matters, such as the SNC-Lavalin affair, it appears that he did not. Perhaps, as a non-lawyer, Mr. Trudeau simply did not understand the importance of these things from a legal perspective.

I'm still reading through the Commissioner's report (phew! It's long,) and the statute in question, but I do have to make time for real life (hey, it's the weekend, and I want to play golf). Hope nobody minds.
I'm gonna diverge with you here Chevy. The PMO isn't just the Prime Minister, it is a whole team of people the PM chooses. He/she could choose the necessary team including Lawyer's to do all the stuff you are referencing. The problem isn't that Trudeau isn't a lawyer, it is that he chose a team like himself who would simply tow along whatever narrative he wants. The problem is his arrogance, not that he isn't a lawyer imo. We need a PM who is a good leader, has good judgement LISTENs to opinions that are different than his and actually follows through on them, if they are the right thing to do. Oh and follow the law - something a good legal team would be able to advise him on. I think even an arrogant Lawyer who knows the law could do the same thing if they felt they could get away with it or they didn't exercise good judgement.

Last edited by fusion2; Today at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or