U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,125,643 times

Advertisements

An investigation of Prime Minister Trudeau found that he violated conflict of interest law.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau broke the nation’s conflict of interest law by pressuring his former attorney general to help SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. settle corruption charges out of court, Canada’s ethics watchdog ruled.

The report doesn’t outline any sanctions related to the decision. “It is up to the Prime Minister to implement any further action,” it said.

It’s not the first time Trudeau has violated the act. In a separate 2017 decision, the ethics commissioner found Trudeau broke rules when he and his family vacationed on an island owned by the Aga Khan.

Andrew Scheer admonished Trudeau for being the first prime minister in history to be found guilty of breaking federal ethics laws.

https://time.com/5652315/trudeau-con...est-violation/

I wonder if Justin will take any action himself for his wrongdoing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 03:28 PM

12,802 posts, read 8,875,991 times
They got is slightly wrong. No law was broken. He violated the Conflict of Interest Act. There is no finding of guilt and there are no sanctions, but perhaps a small fine I believe.

It's a fine line, I know, but it is a distinction that should be made.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 PM

14,034 posts, read 12,746,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They got is slightly wrong. No law was broken. He violated the Conflict of Interest Act. There is no finding of guilt and there are no sanctions, but perhaps a small fine I believe.

??? An “act” is a law. And the government commission that determines whether the act/law was violated says he violated it.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM

21,362 posts, read 11,999,239 times
Quote:

It's not like the OP actually cares, of course, because if he did, he'd also care about the many laws Trump has broken such as violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution, or the frequent times his staff has violated the Hatch Act and his response was "so what?" But like Righties always do, they criticize the left for things the right is actually far more guilty of.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
??? An “act” is a law. And the government commission that determines whether the act/law was violated says he violated it.
Perhaps Chevy our resident lawyer can clarify. It is my understanding that an Act is more flexible than something that is considered a law.

For example, The Conflict of Interest Act comes up for review, every five years. I don't know of any law that does that.

Like I said though, a fine line.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not like the OP actually cares, of course, because if he did, he'd also care about the many laws Trump has broken such as violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution, or the frequent times his staff has violated the Hatch Act and his response was "so what?" But like Righties always do, they criticize the left for things the right is actually far more guilty of.
The irony is also that Trudeau was trying to help Canadian workers, well at least according to him.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM

4,133 posts, read 1,594,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This thread isn't about President Trump. It is about Trudeau, and the laws he broke. Please control your TDS and try to stay on topic

Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 PM

12,092 posts, read 5,777,627 times
Quote:

Canada State Media is Clear on this. There is only a violation IF a Conservative is in Violation.
The “Intent” was to “save Canada”, therefor it’s all OK.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it.
If it wasn’t for Double Standards, Leftists would have NO Standards at all.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:03 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,780,439 times
Quote:
Perhaps Chevy our resident lawyer can clarify. It is my understanding that an Act is more flexible than something that is considered a law.

For example, The Conflict of Interest Act comes up for review, every five years. I don't know of any law that does that.

Like I said though, a fine line.
Must run right now, but I would like to review the Conflict of Interest Act before I comment further.

For now, I will say that an Act is a law, and can include provisions that require its review at periodic intervals; but not all laws contain sanctions. Sometimes, to state just one example, they simply delegate powers to administrative bodies. Anyway, I'll try to post more later.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,400 posts, read 6,489,580 times
Eh. I probably should care, but its Canada we're talking about here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or