U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

14,484 posts, read 11,758,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in a subdivision where I've frequently seen kids cut through backyards, goof around in the street, and I've never seen anyone pull a gun on a kid. It's viewed as kids being kids. Maybe those kids were goofing around and being stupid. I was once a kid. I remember the days when I walked through yards to get to the neighborhood creek. I never once thought as a kid of some neighbor pulling a gun on me. I still maintain the standard that you should only pull out a gun when your life is in danger.

I agree. Lethal force is not a go to it is a last resort. If these kids were brandishing weapons and being overtly violent in their intentions that's different but they weren't. This woman acted plumb silly. Been watching to many movies for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

5,207 posts, read 2,649,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Like your sense of morals is the standard.

A bunch of kids who weren't trained properly and not under adult supervision like they should have been were screwing around in her neighbors yard and not acting like they were conducting any business. Just being stupid boys. Of course she's going to think they might be up to no good. Harmless stupid kid actions done without thinking even with no ill will intended, is still stupid kid stuff.

That said, her reaction was way over the the top and hopefully the charges will stick.

"Kelly told the police that it didn't appear to her that the boys were selling anything, the report says. "They spent a good five minutes goofing off and screwing around in [the neighbor's] driveway and up around their house. That's not selling cards," she said, according to the report.
Neighbors told an officer that they saw the boys walking down the street, playing and running around, but "nothing out of the ordinary,"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/16/us/bl...rnd/index.html
You never goofed around as a kid?

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

55,930 posts, read 74,969,676 times
A trial will determine if this was a thwarted robbery and home invasion or a hate crime
The press has already made that decision

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

48,862 posts, read 45,857,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I agree. Lethal force is not a go to it is a last resort. If these kids were brandishing weapons and being overtly violent in their intentions that's different but they weren't. This woman acted plumb silly. Been watching to many movies for sure.
Agreed. For that situation, that woman's behavior was just psycho. I sort of understand that mentality. Said individual likely has alot of hatred and a very tense disposition. Her mentality is likely "the only way to stop those kids is to put the fear of death in them".

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

4,493 posts, read 3,799,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Did anyone notice the odd shift between the 1st paragraph and the others?

The 1st paragraph says "four black teenagers"

But the rest of the paragraphs state them as: "found the four children on the ground" and "The officer let the children stand up," and "two of the four children were wearing football jerseys."

Why the shift from "teens" to "children"?

Seems odd to me..
It doesn't seem odd to me at all. Young people of all ages belong to somebody and they are the children of those somebodies.

This woman appears to have gone off her meds or listens to far too many stories from her husband, a jail administrator.

But what do I know or any of us for that matter because we were not there but rather read a news report.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

14,258 posts, read 6,507,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Like your sense of morals is the standard.

A bunch of kids who weren't trained properly and not under adult supervision like they should have been were screwing around in her neighbors yard and not acting like they were conducting any business. Just being stupid boys. Of course she's going to think they might be up to no good. Harmless stupid kid actions done without thinking even with no ill will intended, is still stupid kid stuff.

That said, her reaction was way over the the top and hopefully the charges will stick.

"Kelly told the police that it didn't appear to her that the boys were selling anything, the report says. "They spent a good five minutes goofing off and screwing around in [the neighbor's] driveway and up around their house. That's not selling cards," she said, according to the report.
Neighbors told an officer that they saw the boys walking down the street, playing and running around, but "nothing out of the ordinary,"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/16/us/bl...rnd/index.html
Guess you were never a kid. Only a complete psychotic would pull a gun in some kids just hanging around in their yard or driveway.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

17,067 posts, read 11,930,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
What does that have to do with the price of rice?
Writer's/editor's 'inconsistency' reveals a clear intent to support a political narrative. Casts doubt on any news coming from that source.

One step below. NBC's editing of a 911 tape to make the caller seem racists.

Full of provocative phrases to spark division. Headline contains the full dose of poison under the assumption most readers will just catch the headline. Go further and we have guns pointed at children.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

72,422 posts, read 84,215,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Her decision was obviously not going to go over well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-ark...162318520.html
I just read the entire story this morning. It was awful. My heart went out to those poor kids. I do wish race did not have to enter the story; it certainly was not in the headlines here. In fact race didn't enter the story until toward the end and the story was very long.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

32,891 posts, read 16,832,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Her decision was obviously not going to go over well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-ark...162318520.html
Nothing like firearms for turning a stupid impulse into a life-altering event, is there?

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

4,572 posts, read 939,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Honestly, this does sound she could have been racially-motivated! However, I am wording in that way because what one person may see as a racist act might not actually be a racist act!
Pulling a gun on children fundraising is normal????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies