Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Her decision was obviously not going to go over well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-ark...162318520.html
Would have been easier to simply not answer the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I'll say that from what we know so far, the woman's actions seem to be wholly inappropriate and disgraceful. Whether the woman is racist is not something I can touch on based on the facts. I could see a racist person responding in this way, but I could also see a non racist, unhinged, loony bin responding in this way.

If the evidence shows that the woman acted out of racial animosity toward the teens, then I'll condemn her for it and she should face further jail time for it. But if the evidence just shows that she was a violent, inappropriate, disgrace, then that's what she'll get condemned by me for.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is common for young thugs to disguise themselves as students - or claim to be students - and knock on doors with some request....

It is?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is common for young thugs to disguise themselves as students - or claim to be students - and knock on doors with some request. What they are really looking for is an empty home.
Serious question: where is that common at? I mean, I've heard of one off occasions of people doing this, but it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence. At least not where I've lived.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 AM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
But many justify over-reaction because of black crime statistics and what they see on the news. They just don't see blacks in the news or in statistics. Those stats add up to 50%-90% black crime, depends on whose telling it. If there's four kids who just happen to be black, that means at least 2 or 3 of those 4 kids are criminals.

So, if 3 out of 4 are seen as criminals, none of us should be surprised that one the greatest challenges they will face throughout their lives is not being able to market themselves or what they are selling as trustworthy.
Notice that her husband works at the jail. Lord knows what stories she hears every day.

It's an interesting problem. Of course it's racist, of course there's justification for her fears, of course it's a gross overreaction. I guess you'd have to be there to pass judgement.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:25 AM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
It is common for young thugs to disguise themselves as students - or claim to be students - and knock on doors with some request. What they are really looking for is an empty home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It is?
Oh, yes.
I have had youngsters come to the door "looking for work".
In more remote areas, they will pull up in the driveway and honk the horn. If someone responds they drive away.
If these were children, there would have been an adult driving them around. When children come to the door selling this or that there is always an adult hovering nearby in a vehicle.

She over-reacted. But she looks like the type who would.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Serious question: where is that common at? I mean, I've heard of one off occasions of people doing this, but it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence. At least not where I've lived.
Georgia, where I experienced it years ago, and in Pontotoc County, MS, where it seems to be rampant.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:29 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Why are all four teens going door to door together, why not split up?
Same thing would happen at four different locations. Most mom's tell their kids not to be alone in unfamiliar public places. I know mine did. I was to go with a group or not at all.

Maybe it's best for them to never go to any neighborhood or sell anything, lest they will be suspects for some sort of criminal activity because of statistics. This happened because someone assumed that's what they are because of their race and those stats. This story does being forward one example of everyday fears as well as the reason for avoidance between the races. Even without knowing the stats, people will think of them as doing something suspicious. It's no different than a black person assuming all whites are secretly members of one of the white nationalist organizations.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:29 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Would this have been a story if the races had been reversed? I wonder.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
Wrong. Little Rock, AK has a higher per capita crime rate than Chicago. Unless you meant the rural parts, which would hold true even in rural IL.
I'm talking about murder rate of black teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies