U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Metro Seattle Area - Born and Raised
768 posts, read 308,046 times
Reputation: 1864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Still on the bright side, since the 1988 ban, the UK hasn't had had any more idiots carrying out massacres with legally owned M1 Carbines and Type 56 semi-automatic rifles (a Chinese version of the AK-47).
No, the people in the United Kingdom just stab and hack each other to death with knives, axes and swords or throw bombs at each other or run each other over with cars/trucks... Yeah, right, England is a peaceful country that the U.S. should follow... Not!!

You guys over in the U.K. have your own issues to deal with AND fix before you can criticize us in America. Remember that there are over 330 million people living in the U.S. verse your 65 million. Plus, the U.S. is by far, larger in land mass than the U.K., which is about the size of either the State of Oregon or the State of Wyoming... Heck, the State of Texas is about three times the size of the U.K.

Plus, here in the U.S. we have Kodiak Brown Bears, Grizzly Bears, Brown Bears, Cougars/Mountian Lions and other large wild animals all over our country. When I'm up in our mountains, I carry a Springfield Amory M1A Bush Rifle with a 20rd magazine to fend off any four legged or two legged human animals who might see me as a source of food or simply a victim of a random attack.

I have nothing but love for England and her people, but people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,262 posts, read 4,185,556 times
Reputation: 7600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
No, the people in the United Kingdom just stab and hack each other to death with knives, axes and swords or throw bombs at each other or run each other over with cars/trucks... Yeah, right, England is a peaceful country that the U.S. should follow... Not!!

You guys over in the U.K. have your own issues to deal with AND fix before you can criticize us in America. Remember that there are over 330 million people living in the U.S. verse your 65 million. Plus, the U.S. is by far, larger in land mass than the U.K., which is about the size of either the State of Oregon or the State of Wyoming... Heck, the State of Texas is about three times the size of the U.K.

Plus, here in the U.S. we have Kodiak Brown Bears, Grizzly Bears, Brown Bears, Cougars/Mountian Lions and other large wild animals all over our country. When I'm up in our mountains, I carry a Springfield Amory M1A Bush Rifle with a 20rd magazine to fend off any four legged or two legged human animals who might see me as a source of food or simply a victim of a random attack.

I have nothing but love for England and her people, but people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks.
London has 132 murders last year which s not bad for a city of nearly 9 million, with 3 million extra daily commuters every day and around 20 million foreign tourists.

There were 726 homicides in England and Wales, with a population of 60 million, and 59 homicies in Scotland, with a population of over 5 million, whilst there were 19 homicides in Northern Ireland in 2017/18.

The truth being individual US Cities can give the UK as a country with a population of 66 million a run for itr's money.

As for serious violent crime, admissions to hospitals have declined in England & Wales, as is knife crime in London and other areas of the UK.

Violence in decline, A&E data suggests - BBC (April 2019)

Met police chief hails fall in violent crime in London | The Guardian (May 2019)

As for UK Government plans to further tackle crime, new legislation has been passed in relation to knife crime and increased police stop and search, coupled with new Violence Reduction Units, an extra 20,000 police officer and over 10,000 extra prison places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
 
Location: USA
18,980 posts, read 9,246,915 times
Reputation: 14298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The truth being individual US Cities can give the UK as a country with a population of 66 million a run for itr's money.

That is true. We have large, and even smaller cities with dense pockets of poverty, illegal drugs, and gangs all over the U.S. These are ghettos where young Black men kill each other with whatever means possible, but the hand gun is the weapon of choice for many. This and suicides contribute the most to our statistics on people committing crimes using a gun.

Most of these gang bangers are repeat Felons, and should not be on the street, but they often get light sentences. The lesson? Stay out of these parts of cities, and stay out of the drug trade, and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Most would be fine regulating any semi automatic rifle and banning high capacity mags.
"Most would be fine regulating....." thank you for your very BIASED UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,689 posts, read 8,601,187 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has 132 murders last year which s not bad for a city of nearly 9 million, with 3 million extra daily commuters every day and around 20 million foreign tourists.

There were 726 homicides in England and Wales, with a population of 60 million, and 59 homicies in Scotland, with a population of over 5 million, whilst there were 19 homicides in Northern Ireland in 2017/18.

The truth being individual US Cities can give the UK as a country with a population of 66 million a run for itr's money.

As for serious violent crime, admissions to hospitals have declined in England & Wales, as is knife crime in London and other areas of the UK.

Violence in decline, A&E data suggests - BBC (April 2019)

Met police chief hails fall in violent crime in London | The Guardian (May 2019)

As for UK Government plans to further tackle crime, new legislation has been passed in relation to knife crime and increased police stop and search, coupled with new Violence Reduction Units, an extra 20,000 police officer and over 10,000 extra prison places.




And that's a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No one needs these types of weapons.
"No one needs these types of weapons"

"The pen is mightier then the sword"

No one needs these types of weapons. Ban pens and computers.

"5 People Who Used An AR-15 to Defend Themselves, and It Probably Saved Their Lives"

"This 15-year-old Houston boy, Rochester college student, Philadelphia couple, Detroit small business, and LA grocery store are all glad they had AR-15s the day they were attacked.

People like YOU would rather have these law ABIDING citizens DEAD then to be able to LEGALLY defends themselves due mostly to their complete IGNORANCE about guns! Sad, so VERY SAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
As has been said about Dayton.

Six trained police officers with semi-automatics took 65 rounds in 20 seconds to stop the perpetrator. Interestingly the perp fired only 41 rounds in 32 seconds... makes you wonder which calibers were found in the people killed.

Why should any private citizen be denied the right to defend themselves in a manner similar to these police officers?

The police clearly need semi-automatics with >10 round magazines, its logical to presume that in the circumstance you may be in a situation like the police were, you too would need a semi-automatic with 30 round magazines, given you're not a professional LEO.

There's a simple 'common sense' rule that can be applied. If the police need the firepower, the private citizen equally needs the fire power. They both have the risk of attending the same circumstances, however the private citizen does not have the benefit of knowing the situation before they arrive.
Good post. "You CAN'T reason with Unreasonable people!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Indeed and the SC Heller decision confirmed that we can regulate the heck out of them.
And a FUTURE more Constitutional court WILL overturn MANY of the now existing UNconstitutional gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If both are semi auto, what is the difference ? What makes one "bad" and the other "good" ?
Actually I prefer the Judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
 
37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Reputation: 8590
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I think I would actually be fine with letting them have their much-beloved assault-style weapons if we could get a ban on the high caliper clips. That's where the key lies. The Dayton shooter had a high caliber 'tub' style clip. Police arrived in about 30 seconds, but he was still able to get off numerous shots. Two or three bullets should be enough for any legitimate purpose.
" if we could get a ban on the high caliper clips. That's where the key lies." B.S.

If 1, 2, 3 or more "bad" guys break into your house and EACH have 15 round mags, how are you going to defend yourself, hen you only have 5?

Some CAN'T think beyond their OWN biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top