Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:28 AM

538 posts, read 385,920 times

Advertisements

One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Sending your child to a govt school is a form of child abuse.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 42,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

Dumbing kids down even more. I didn't even know that about Sally Ride nor do I even care! My kids are homeschooled and learn the basics they need to survive in society not feel good crap like this to make the social justice warriors happy.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I say, good. Maybe this will help to open hearts and minds about LGBT Americans and give children who are LGBT hope about a brighter future. This is all the more important considering the higher than average suicide rates among LGBT children, which often comes after years of bullying by their less tolerant peers and family members. This is one thing I can support the crooked state of Illinois on.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:37 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
How most people see it
SALLY RIDE ASTRONAUT.
How my gay friends see it
SALLY RIDE ASTRONAUT who is also part of our gay community
How the activists see it
LESBIAN astronaut sally ride.

And of course it does not matter. As long as her partners are sane adult willing humans, it is none of my business.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I say, good. Maybe this will help to open hearts and minds about LGBT Americans and give children who are LGBT hope about a brighter future. This is all the more important considering the higher than average suicide rates among LGBT children, which often comes after years of bullying by their less tolerant peers and family members. This is one thing I can support the crooked state of Illinois on.
This is what education has denigrated into; Feelings

Old 08-12-2019, 08:44 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This is what education has denigrated into; Feelings
School houses are where the minds of children are molded, where many learn to deal with the world and those who may be different from them. For many, its where their first real exposure to an inkling of racial, ethnic, etc., diversity is had. Empathy for others and teaching of acceptance are wholly appropriate in school houses, in my view. If parents don't like it, they are free to home school their children. Or send them to another school district/private school where such is not being taught. But I'll applaud those school districts/states taking such actions as this one. This is one of a few issues where I do not stand with the traditional GOP talking points on.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
They barely have time to teach American History as it is now so does that mean it will be further pushed aside so the History of gay people and their struggles can be taught?

With the way gay people are being portrayed on TV and in movies one would think that kid have a pretty good grasp on what it means to be gay.

Instead of teaching this nonsense why don't they return to a curriculum that actually teaches kids life skills like cooking, handling credit, balancing a checkbook on a budget, changing a tire etc...

Kids are smart these days, they can figure out the social aspects of society.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post

Because, believe it or not, some people in the world still fell that if you're a woman, you can't "do great things", let alone, a LESBIAN.

What is so wrong about letting people know that regardless of your sexuality, you can do anything you put your mind to, and that LGBTQ people are just that, people, and shouldn't be hindered/judged BECAUSE of their sexuality.

This isn't rocket science. Pun intended.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:48 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
They barely have time to teach American History as it is now so does that mean it will be further pushed aside so the History of gay people and their struggles can be taught?

With the way gay people are being portrayed on TV and in movies one would think that kid have a pretty good grasp on what it means to be gay.

Instead of teaching this nonsense why don't they return to a curriculum that actually teaches kids life skills like cooking, handling credit, balancing a checkbook on a budget, changing a tire etc...

Kids are smart these days, they can figure out the social aspects of society.
It's a real shame that some adults can't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies