U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM
 
16,693 posts, read 4,382,445 times
Reputation: 11653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
AGW has increased global temperatures 8/10th of a degree C....in 140 years....

...that's 0.0057 degrees a year > https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

...........57/10,000th of 1 degree
We don't live on the whole globe. We live in very specific spots.....where the temp has increased by actually degrees F in our lifetimes. Obviously the oceans and polar caps and things like that provide a large flywheel effect...but once they are warmed or melted the same deal applies.

If your statement had a lick of truth to it, why are the plant hardiness zones changed? Is the USDA full of bunk?

Think.

"Since 1970 average annual temperatures across the Northeast have risen more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, and winter temperatures have risen around 4 degrees. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,300 posts, read 14,443,312 times
Reputation: 16485
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We don't live on the whole globe. We live in very specific spots.....where the temp has increased by actually degrees F in our lifetimes.
That is man-made, but it has nothing to do with CO2. That has to do with the fact that materials absorb heat and then re-radiate that heat.

The amount of heat absorbed and radiated is dependent on the albedo and inherent properties of the object.

Your black-top roads absorb a tremendous amount of heat, retain that heat for a very, very long and re-radiate that heat. Not only do your roads do that, so does your roofing material, because like your roads, it's made of asphalt or other petroleum products.

Concrete has higher albedo that asphalt, and also retains heat, but not as well as asphalt.

That's why bridges are made of concrete, instead of black-top and the bridges have expansion joints.

Everything that's heated expands. When heated, the concrete on bridges would expand and buckle and crack, but the expansion joints allow the concrete to expand without buckllng or cracking.

Buildings also absorb and retain heat.

That's why the temperature for urban areas is always warmer than the surrounding suburban areas, and the suburban areas are always warmer than the surrounding semi-rural and rural areas.

There are peer-reviewed scientific studies published on the internet that discuss that.

There is also an issue of the morality and ethics of knowingly using temperature data obtained from sensors located in urban areas due to the fact that the data is skewed.

Global warming "scientists" are not moral and ethical, because they use that data to helps skew their numbers to prove something that is irrelevant or a non-event.

Also, you're probably confused by the propagandistic "heat index."

The heat index was created for propaganda and disinformation purposes in an attempt to convince people it's warmer than it actually is.

For example, a few weeks ago people were running around saying it was 100°F when in fact it was not.

It was 91°F. The heat index, which factors in humidity made it "feel" like 100°F and the news was reporting the temperature as 100°F without mentioning that is the "heat index" and not the real actual temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM
 
630 posts, read 181,244 times
Reputation: 553
The 1911 Heat Wave Was So Deadly It Drove People Insane - New England Historical Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM
 
14,115 posts, read 9,608,660 times
Reputation: 4610
The planet is being out and this is another reason for warmer temps as all this stuff holds heat. Look at how much ground has been lost since 1880.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM
 
3,394 posts, read 981,839 times
Reputation: 2049
Craig, you're arguing with NASA...

Nasa says temperatures have increased 0.8 degrees in 140 years...do the math

..that's 0.0057.....57/10,000th of a degree a year

Doesn't fit your brainwashing....does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If your statement had a lick of truth to it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
AGW has increased global temperatures 8/10th of a degree C....in 140 years....

...that's 0.0057 degrees a year > https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

...........57/10,000th of 1 degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
3,034 posts, read 4,435,147 times
Reputation: 1707
The benchmark is Greenland where we can measure historical data. for what's it worth... when I went to college in the 70's (meteorology/climate was a minor) global cooling was taught. The basic premise is a warming produces more evaporation and more rainfall especially at the most extreme latitudes, thus increasing the snowfall, so much so that it doesn't melt in summer and therefore creates glaciers. Yes... an oversimplification.

Greenland is gaining ice
“Even if it were true that Greenland’s ice had been melting at ‘new record’ rates, after seven and a half years of global cooling global warming cannot be the cause. The true position in Greenland is to be found in Johannessen et al. (2005), where satellite altimetry established that the mean thickness of the entire Greenland ice sheet had increased at 2 inches per year – a total of almost 2 feet – in the 11 years 1993-2003.” (Christopher Monckton)

However mass balance in Greenland shows a decrease in ice and an increase in snow fall. IMO, (not an expert) the atmosphere is warming and is the early stages of the earth cooling based on my education. i have no reason to doubt this. Do not confused weather with climate.




It's Official: July 2019 The Hottest Month in Recorded World History-temps.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM
 
3,394 posts, read 981,839 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"Since 1970 average annual temperatures across the Northeast have risen more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, and winter temperatures have risen around 4 degrees. "

looked can't find that....closest I found was Boston......temp has increased 0.0074 per year in Boston

....that's 74/10,000th of 1 degree per year

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/7....jpg?width=960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:12 AM
 
38,054 posts, read 16,462,412 times
Reputation: 8639
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No doubt it's vastly hotter - noticeably. It used to be that the vast majority of houses in New England didn't even have A/C - these days people might actually die from heatstroke on certain days...and the heat seems to go on much longer also.

Even in the mid-Atlantic temperatures used to "break" by the first week of August so that nights became much cooler....not any more!

On the coastline we actually moved up a full climate (plant hardiness) zone.

Not as big of a problem here as in Florida and other Southern Climes where a couple degrees means you go over the "you are gonna die if you are outside" threshold.
"noticeably. It used to be that the vast majority of houses in New England didn't even have A/C -"

That is because it hadn't been invented back then.

"Even in the mid-Atlantic temperatures used to "break" by the first week of August"

Not in the Mid-Atlantic where I lived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 AM
 
14,115 posts, read 9,608,660 times
Reputation: 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We don't live on the whole globe. We live in very specific spots.....where the temp has increased by actually degrees F in our lifetimes. Obviously the oceans and polar caps and things like that provide a large flywheel effect...but once they are warmed or melted the same deal applies.

If your statement had a lick of truth to it, why are the plant hardiness zones changed? Is the USDA full of bunk?

Think.

"Since 1970 average annual temperatures across the Northeast have risen more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, and winter temperatures have risen around 4 degrees. "
My temps in FL where i have lived have gone well over 2 degrees since i started keeping records in the 70's.

Coconut palms are growing 30 miles more to the north since 1981, so the coconut line keeps moving north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 AM
 
38,054 posts, read 16,462,412 times
Reputation: 8639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Of course I favor including the timeline of earth's history when humans could not survive or they were not around. You do understand that the human species isn't much in the scheme of the entire universe, right?

Actually, that comment tells a lot about your thought process. You wish to exclude climate data of earth's history simply because humans were not present... or, more likely, because it contains inconvenient facts about wild shifts in the climate that couldn't possibly have been caused by humans. The earth has experienced "global warming" many, MANY times in the past. Even before man. And yes, it's relevant to the argument... thus you want to pitch it out because it is damning to YOUR argument.

As for the rest of your post... do you stock a full freezer of red herring or only half a freezer?
He probably believes man CAUSED the Ice Age AND its decline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top