U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:30 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,038,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is hot here in texas this summer, but I remember working outside one entire summer when it was hot 40 years ago. if ya live in texas heat is part of the price for living in such a wonderful state. at least we don't have earthquakes!
But no huge mountains or Sequoia trees. And its the worst type of hot. Like humid hot.. ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:34 PM

1,139 posts, read 242,470 times
We've actually had a very pleasant summer here in the Pacific Northwest, which makes a welcome break from the previous two forest fire choked summers.

Climate change: it's not a weather forecast.

Old Today, 06:35 PM

21,801 posts, read 14,500,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Since actual recorded temps, not guesses, only go back to 1880....meh.
Two things to remember:

1) Industrial Revolution

2) Positive Feedback Loop

Old Today, 06:38 PM

405 posts, read 89,541 times
I can think of a couple of solutions to the greenhouse gas conundrum.

. Quit importing Africans to Europe and Latinos to the US. They obviously produce more pollutants once they move to the First World

. Crank up tariffs on imports from China in order to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases produced there

. Go to Starbucks and talk about recycling

Old Today, 06:39 PM

1,139 posts, read 242,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That's weather, not climate.
Climate is determined by long-term averages of weather conditions, which is what's being described here. It's climate.

Old Today, 06:42 PM

19,028 posts, read 9,809,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How many times over the past decade have you heard of temperature records being broken? It seems every year, every summer, there is news of some month breaking the record for the hottest ever, and a month later, the record is broken. This record is likely to be broken next summer.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/july-2019-...ord-for-planet
Awesome, no wonder my pool time has been so incredible....don't let up.

Old Today, 06:53 PM

33,565 posts, read 14,144,668 times
Record Ice melts in Greenland, record temperatures in Europe and fires in Russia, bad month. Mississippi River at flood level for over 250 days and we are not fully into the hurricane season.

I would hope this would get peoples attention but the usual dismissal.

Greenland melt rate 50 years ahead of schedule.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gree...st-case-2019-8

Old Today, 07:03 PM

10,000 posts, read 4,703,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
We've actually had a very pleasant summer here in the Pacific Northwest, which makes a welcome break from the previous two forest fire choked summers.

Climate change: it's not a weather forecast.
Here in Missouri, a really nice summer. Only 4 really hot days. Rest, cooler than normal.

Old Today, 07:05 PM

19,172 posts, read 9,757,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How many times over the past decade have you heard of temperature records being broken? It seems every year, every summer, there is news of some month breaking the record for the hottest ever, and a month later, the record is broken. This record is likely to be broken next summer.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/july-2019-...ord-for-planet
Keyword “recorded”.

Compared to how old the earth is or even how many years humans have been living on this earth, your “recorded history “ is like a fart in a hurricane.

Old Today, 07:15 PM

10,548 posts, read 6,255,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Record Ice melts in Greenland, record temperatures in Europe and fires in Russia, bad month. Mississippi River at flood level for over 250 days and we are not fully into the hurricane season.

I would hope this would get peoples attention but the usual dismissal.

Greenland melt rate 50 years ahead of schedule.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gree...st-case-2019-8

In 1980 I visited a glacier in Switzerland, called the Lower Grindenwald. I camped at the foot of it. There was an informative sign showing how the glacier, which was retreating, would appear in the years to come. Even for year 2000, the sign showed it would still be close to the valley floor.

How times have changed. The glacier has far exceeded the expected retreat. See:

BBC NEWS | Europe | Europe's glaciers in retreat

I think it has gone completely from view.

But, let us not worry about the Greenhouse Effect, which was first proposed back in 1824, but which people seem to think Al Gore invented. Indeed, I learned about it in grade school, in the early 1960s, well before India and China joined the 20th century in using fossil fuels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or