Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 PM

32,904 posts, read 12,184,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
COL is no different there than in MD or VA or KY.

In fact gas cost more, seafood cost more.. the only thing cheaper in WV was property taxes and that’s about it. My utilities were as high as Winchester VA.
You, individually, are an anecdote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,625,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That doesn't address what I wrote, dude. I said that Canada has poor rural and rust-belt areas as well. So you'd still be paying for their healthcare. You can't have a whole country made up of yuppie city neighborhoods and middle-class suburbs. Things just don't work that way.

And you contradict yourself. You tout the virtues of government health care, but then you complain about paying for other people's healthcare.
Because in Denmark (or Canada) when I pay for everyone's health care, I get it too. So does my family. My children and their future families will have it. Right now I pay for WV and KY, it's one way. Big difference. HUGE difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't think you should secede a part of the US to another nation, but I would love if you would take all the democrats with you and break away. That is my dream come true, often labeled as "white supremacy" if someone like me says it. Then we'll see who ends up better off.
That was the previous suggestion, I simply agreed with it. I'm white, most of Western Washington is white (though not all). It has absolutely nothing to do with diversity, it has to do with the willingness to get an education, work and pay taxes. When states like WV and KY are benefitting from my tax dollars, it is understandable that I would resent it, especially when it appears there is no end to it. There is no effort being made to solve it. They are happy with the way things are and nothing is changing.

Quote:
Are you going to apply that standard in every state or just these two states for some odd reason?
We are talking about KY and WV who both happen to be very high users of social programs but it could apply to all social program beneficiaries.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 PM

732 posts, read 386,668 times
Quote:
Uh they suck it out of a can of Busch and a meth pipe. Maybe a bag of craklins too.
Somehow that reads like someone observing how parts of the population seem to love fried chicken and watermelon.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 PM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You, individually, are an anecdote.
Me, collectively with my spouse, got the Hell out of there to raise our kids elsewhere.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,809,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because in Denmark (or Canada) when I pay for everyone's health care, I get it too. So does my family. My children and their future families will have it. Right now I pay for WV and KY, it's one way. Big difference. HUGE difference.

It's called a safety net. If you need it you can get it, just like with universal health care you get it maybe if you need it. I thought liberals were for safety nets?

Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,809,512 times
Quote:
Me, collectively with my spouse, got the Hell out of there to raise our kids elsewhere.
C'mon there are nice areas and people in WV/KY and bad people or areas outside of it. I've been through the area and its not all that bad and a lot better than some places.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,280,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

That was the previous suggestion, I simply agreed with it.
You aren't paying for the entire states of West Virginia and Kentucky, knock off the bull. And every country on earth has its poor and rural areas. Even the sainted, almighty Canada. But in Canada (praise be unto its name) you'd be paying much higher taxes for all of this.

21,989 posts, read 15,625,477 times
Quote:
It's called a safety net. If you need it you can get it, just like with universal health care you get it maybe if you need it. I thought liberals were for safety nets?
In Denmark, the safety net applies to everyone. Not here, not in WV or KY. Were there retraining programs for travel agents and luggage handlers? No. It only applied to coal miners in Appalachia. It is piecemeal, there are winners and losers, givers and takers. My state is a major giver, WV and KY are major takers. Denmark has a blanket safety net and their citizens prioritize education. The standard of living is higher for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You aren't paying for the entire states of West Virginia and Kentucky, knock off the bull. And every country on earth has its poor and rural areas. Even the sainted, almighty Canada. But in Canada (praise be unto its name) you'd be paying much higher taxes for all of this.
In Denmark or Canada, I wouldn't mind paying more if everyone benefits. That's the difference. I pay huge taxes but the beneficiaries are based on political maneuvering.

Quote:
No I’m an independent and I loathe paying for drunk-a$$ hillbilly’s that won’t work. They suck money out of my wallet so they can drink and shoot the empty beer cans, lol.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
C'mon there are nice areas and people in WV/KY and bad people or areas outside of it. I've been through the area and its not all that bad and a lot better than some places.
You haven’t travelled all the two lane I have, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies