U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:33 AM

16,018 posts, read 4,235,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I took a look at the stats and saw that two relatively wealthy states, Maryland and Illinois have murder rates of 9.0 and 7.8 per 100,000 residents respectively. I am also shocked that Pennsylvania was so high at 5.8 per 100,000 residents.
Plenty of other gun threads. Fear threads..and all of that.

We should talk health, life span, GDP per capita, net worth, education and all the things I specified in the OP....

A lot of folks here like to make every thread turn into the same BS....instead of actually dealing in facts.

Whether we use Switzerland, MA., Denmark or many other "liberal and educated" places, the results seem to come out the same. One system works better then the other if we use the metrics associated with advanced countries and societies.

It is interesting to watch the dodges of the OP.....every excuse in the book has been used, whereas many of the same posters start the "SD vs. LA" threads and pontificate on how White Supremacy is so great...

Fact is, if we look at the world the "Supremacy" is in Asia (adherence to buddhist values, hard work and education) and also in progressive and liberal Europe and the USA. Sure, that's a general statement, but when we are discussing entire societies and millions of people we need to be general (stats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:54 AM

17,476 posts, read 19,731,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I ran a comparison between Louisville and Copenhagen and Copenhagen is 42% more expensive and after factoring incomes, people in Louisville have a considerably higher economic standard of living despite Denmark having had decades as a net exporter of oil and gas.
Charleston, West Virginia has 5000 square foot houses that can be had for $500k.

I am thinking that would not be possible in a comparably sized city in Denmark.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

16,018 posts, read 4,235,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Charleston, West Virginia has 5000 square foot houses that can be had for $500k.

I'm not sure whether this is being called a positive or a negative???

Around here big houses sell for much less per sf then smaller houses...same is true in a number of places.

The larger house certainly doesn't seem to help the life spans...or health/obesity. Maybe wasting stuff is bad for a human being?

Well...sure it is! That's why "traditional values" of thrift and waste-not, want-not will beat excesses in the long run...every time.

I'd certainly rather live in a 1000 sf flat in Copenhagen then in a 5,000 sf place in Charleston, WV.

But this is off-subject too. The ideals expressed in the OP is that thrift is a GOOD THING.....and that caring about equality, health care, quality of life, ownership of "the commons" and other such things create a better society...measured by accepted norms of advanced societies.

If people sit in 5,000 sf houses in Charleston and don't innovate, don't meet and plan the future of their state, don't balance their budgets and don't make things...(other than chemicals from resource extractions), they end up similar to all "oil states"...that is, worse off for not having a diversified economy and modern outlook.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,268,974 times
If those KY and WV deplorables wanted your liberalism, they would move to places like Baltimore, Chicago, LA

Old Today, 09:37 AM

9,977 posts, read 21,238,678 times
The poorest regions of Appalachian KY and WV had a mass exodus of literally millions of people. Including my parents. Those left behind are mostly are less motivated by material wealth or have skills or work ethic that would make them less employable elsewhere. Also they are very traditional, they seek to live just like their parents and grandparents rather than innovate.

Old Today, 09:40 AM

19,038 posts, read 9,814,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It wouldn't be possible in Denmark. I have no problem with Denmark, there system works great for them fuelled partially by being a net oil and gas exporter for decades and smart and hard working population. If you put 300 million Nordics in the USA, we would have a higher standard of living than we do now.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

9,977 posts, read 21,238,678 times
Re poor health in KY / WV... at one time it had very high life expectancy. Most of my ancestors lived to be 80 to 100 before hospitals. They ate fresh local foods and had physically demanding jobs. Then came processed foods and the physical jobs were automated. There are few parks in rural areas to exercise. I think the processed foods became staples during the Depression and healthy food culture was lost.

Old Today, 09:49 AM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 26 days ago)

11,975 posts, read 15,616,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
If those KY and WV deplorables wanted your liberalism, they would move to places like Baltimore, Chicago, LA

Actually outmigration in WV is high. They’ve been losing population for decades.

https://www.register-herald.com/news...9c680ba76.html

If it wasn’t for the eastern panhandle counties, which are basically D.C. suburbs, the outmigration rate would be catastrophic.

Old Today, 09:51 AM

967 posts, read 385,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post

Those KY and WV deplorables embrace liberalism in the form of all the welfare and disability benefits they collect. Taxpayers end up subsidizing their choice to live in a rural area with scarce jobs. So they don't need to move to Baltimore, Chicago, or LA to experience the primary benefits of liberalism.

Old Today, 09:52 AM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 26 days ago)

11,975 posts, read 15,616,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Re poor health in KY / WV... at one time it had very high life expectancy. Most of my ancestors lived to be 80 to 100 before hospitals. They ate fresh local foods and had physically demanding jobs. Then came processed foods and the physical jobs were automated. There are few parks in rural areas to exercise. I think the processed foods became staples during the Depression and healthy food culture was lost.
WV has a pile of parks, trails, forests, country roads and walkable space.

I would often go to the Mon Forest and hike. The only people I met on the trail were from out of state.

A lot of WV folks just don’t exercise, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or