U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:22 PM

410 posts, read 89,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Would they? Or would there be surrounded by more available jobs? Perhaps have gone to school? I don't think diversity has anything to do with it whatsoever. They live in very white areas now and things aren't so great. What does diversity have to do with it?
Diversity strikes me as a counterexample in that you'd be hard pressed to find a diverse place that operates as well as a Denmark. I can't think of one.

I expect that if one were to exist, it would have to have a government with an iron hand in order to keep the lid on, think 'Singapore'.

So...maybe diversity implies that you don't get something as nice as Denmark.

Since WV is non-diverse *and* it has a tolerably similar group of people to a Denmark in terms of culture, religion, ethnicity, what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:22 PM

18,416 posts, read 11,261,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Diversity strikes me as a counterexample in that you'd be hard pressed to find a diverse place that operates as well as a Denmark. I can't think of one.

I expect that if one were to exist, it would have to have a government with an iron hand in order to keep the lid on, think 'Singapore'.

So...maybe diversity implies that you don't get something as nice as Denmark.

Since WV is non-diverse *and* it has a tolerably similar group of people to a Denmark in terms of culture, religion, ethnicity, what happened?
Lack of education. I know someone who moved from the company I work for to Denmark. She was going to stay for two years and instead chose to stay permanently. She has a Masters and is doing extremely well there. She said everything makes much more sense there, education is respected, everyone works, a portion of their paycheck is held for an annual holiday, everyone has health care, time off from work is critical and supported. It is vastly different than here. In Appalachia, Obama created retraining programs and they refused to take them. Got that? They refused. That is the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, how about you push for whichever state that you live in to secede from the Union, then you won't have to worry about it anymore? And then we won't have to hear you whine about it. It's a win/win.
I would do it in a heartbeat. Redraw the northern border to put Western Washington in Canada and I'll happily pay taxes to them instead. Western Washington has far more in common with Canada than they do with KY or WV.

Old Today, 10:23 PM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 25 days ago)

11,967 posts, read 15,611,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know lots of things. Liquor, coal, natural gas and crude with fracking, timber, Toyotas etc, republican voters now .
...and most of the people in WV donít own the mineral or timber rights.

They are dirt poor.

Old Today, 10:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 3,969,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
...and most of the people in WV donít own the mineral or timber rights.

They are dirt poor.
I never said the people in WV and KY aren't getting the shaft. I'm saying they would get shafted worse in a more liberal state. And that they are not the ones shafting the country as Seacove is suggesting.

Old Today, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I never said the people in WV and KY aren't getting the shaft. I'm saying they would get shafted worse in a more liberal state. And that they are not the ones shafting the country as Seacove is suggesting.
Really? How? They are on Disability, welfare, Medicare, food stamps and every conceivable public assistance. Read Hillbilly Elegy or wait for the movie. They aren't paying for those programs, I am, we all are.

Old Today, 10:31 PM

12,350 posts, read 3,345,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
My guess is that this thread is to counter the ridiculous threads lovecrowds starts every single day to denigrate an american city with a democrat mayor against one with a republican mayor. The comparisons are always assinine. But if you do not jump into those threads to condemn the OP do not jump in this one to do so.
If Craigiri thinks that lovecrowds is thoroughly and completely wrong, then it shouldn't matter to him one whit what lovecrowds thinks or does.

If lovecrowds' threads do bother Craigiri, the only logical reason that that would be the case is if Craigiri thinks there is some merit in what lovecrowds is saying, but doesn't want to have to think about that/be reminded of it.

Old Today, 10:32 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,148,161 times
Quote:
If only. If only I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat. Redraw the northern border to put Western Washington in Canada and I'll happily pay taxes to them instead. At least then it will make sense. And honestly it makes sense for everyone. Western Washington has far more in common with Canada than they do with KY or WV. The GOP doesn't want us, we don't want them, it's absolutely the best solution ever.
Start a movement, then.

But I'll tell you this: I'm no expert on Canada, but I'm certain that they have rural and deindustrialized areas, just like this country does. So what would be the difference?

You guys need to put together some strange patch-work country, made up of all of the yuppie city neighborhoods of the country, and nothing else. I mean that's what you're really looking for, isn't it?

Old Today, 10:33 PM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 25 days ago)

11,967 posts, read 15,611,381 times
Quote:
What? How?

They TOTALLY live off the dole. I canít tell you how many Ďapplicantsí for loans listed SSDI as a primary source of income in my tenure as a banker there.

Holy Jesus.

Old Today, 10:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 3,969,410 times
Quote:
Really? How? They are on Disability, welfare, Medicare, food stamps and every conceivable public assistance. Read Hillbilly Elegy or wait for the movie. They aren't paying for those programs, I am, we all are.
You have people in that situation all over the country in plenty of diverse and liberal locations. KY and WV produces much more than it consumes in welfare. It may not show in federal revenue going in and out but that doesn't capture the whole picture.

Old Today, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Start a movement, then.

But I'll tell you this: I'm no expert on Canada, but I'm certain that they have rural and deindustrialized areas, just like this country does. So what would be the difference?

You guys need to put together some strange patch-work country, made up of all of the yuppie city neighborhoods, and nothing else.
Oh, I think Canada would love to take Western Washington, the Olympic Peninsula, Puget Sound, Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, Costco, Nordstrom, there's a lot of money here. And that's my point. I would rather my money be going to where I live, not KY and WV. Not for them to have health care while people in my state don't. Denmark takes care of their entire country. Here, certain states like WV and KY are takers while other states are major contributors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or