Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,805,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's simple to explain. The more guns the more opportunities for instances to use guns to commit murder.
Not in New Hampshire, Switzerland etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How is this hard to understand. If everyone is getting an education, everyone is paying taxes. If everyone is getting health care, the treatments become less expensive and people don't lose their homes to cancer. Why is this hard to understand? It's why people who reach 65 act like they "made it" because they can then go on Medicare. If everyone is paying in, everyone has a higher standard of living. Ask Denmark. Ask Canada, Ask Australia.
It's not hard to understand. The main reason why so many conservatives are so strongly opposed to government programs intended for the common good is due to their fear that many unworthy people will take advantage of everything they can. There are too many able bodied Americans out there who are too lazy and unproductive to carry their own weight.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:45 PM

732 posts, read 386,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Denmark would be a nice, prosperous place whether it was liberal or conservative in policies. I'd say it would be nicer with conservative policies. But it wouldn't be a nice place with mass immigration, and open borders. Same thing holds true in America. If you want a nice place just don't have open borders.
Monocultures with well-behaved populations do seem to work well although I think they are hard to design, they just happen.

I'm afraid that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The reason why so many conservatives are so strongly opposed to programs intended for the common good brought to you by the government is due to their fear that far too many people not worthy will take advantage of everything they can. Their are too many Americans out there who are too lazy and unproductive to carry their own weight.
It isn't just that. Lacking a price signal, crazy things can happen even when people aren't outright cheating.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Monocultures with well-behaved populations do seem to work well although I think they are hard to design, they just happen.

I'm afraid that stereotypes exist for a reason.
They would just happen by nature if liberals and globalist would stop meddling.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Ugh so is everyone in KY and WV suppose to move out of those states or what? I just explained why it wouldn't benefit most of them.
Yes. Like people have for generations - one goes where the work is. That's what I did. That's what many like me did - because they had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Not exactly, but you are close.

WV is generational- they stay because it’s all they’ve ever known, and the world outside is too much too bare.

The ones that do go onto higher education including trades leave- those are the wage earners.

And then you have retirees moving in to take advantage of the low cost of housing and taxes.

Pretty much money suckers and aging boomers are left.
Yes. A huge brain drain and population drain. Personally, I think WV could benefit from some resettling of refugees or legal immigrants there. But . . where would they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
WV has a pile of parks, trails, forests, country roads and walkable space.

I would often go to the Mon Forest and hike. The only people I met on the trail were from out of state.

A lot of WV folks just don’t exercise, trust me.
That's true. But I do think that is changing. Some of my old WV friends are joining cross-fit and a variety of gyms. A variety of 5 K runs are becoming more and more popular.
But - they are still the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
They didn’t want them because none of those jobs will pay anywhere close to what a coal miner makes. There are mine foremen making $120k per year; other jobs in the mines start as high as $60k per year. That’s a lot of money for a low cost of living area, especially with just a high school diploma.

Stop trying to act like the miners are just dumb for not wanting to be retrained. It’s not such a simple solution as you think it is.
And there are miners making 40-50 a year too. So, YES, they wrere stupid for not taking advantage of the retraining that was offered them.

A job is better than no job, yes? Haven't we all taken a less than desirable job until a better one came along???

Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Successful nations are not the product of welfare states. Welfare states require successful capitalism to tax.
And lazy, unproductive people unwilling to carry their own weight taking advantage of it.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Are liberals suddenly arguing to end all welfare or only just for whites ?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

And there are miners making 40-50 a year too. So, YES, they wrere stupid for not taking advantage of the retraining that was offered them.
Serious question. What was the retraining actually in, and just how many people got jobs in those areas?

My guess is that a 40 year old coal miner is probably correct in not going to coding boot camp.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Yes. A huge brain drain and population drain. Personally, I think WV could benefit from some resettling of refugees or legal immigrants there. But . . where would they work?
Open their own stores to serve their culture. In Oklahoma City, Vietnam refugees largely make up the Asian District. The huge grocery store there is a more interesting to visit than the typical American grocery chain. I'm bet a good share of their customers are non-Asians. The Vietnamese who weren't opening stores surely found some place to work. Oklahoma is known for having brain drain. Many Oklahoma college graduates go find jobs in Texas and other fast growing states.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-16-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies