Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Here’s a right wing reality check-

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...verty-map.html
Except cost of living is a thing. It has real impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:38 PM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
In Appalachia, Obama created retraining programs and they refused to take them. Got that? They refused. That is the difference.
So, basically Applachian states are the way they are after 200+ years because some percentage of middle-aged miners weren't interested in being retrained as computer programmers and drone operators a few years back.

Got it.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Oh, I think Canada would love to take Western Washington, the Olympic Peninsula, Puget Sound, Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, Costco, Nordstrom, there's a lot of money here. And that's my point. I would rather my money be going to where I live, not KY and WV. Not for them to have health care while people in my state don't. Denmark takes care of their entire country. Here, certain states like WV and KY are takers while other states are major contributors.
Have you ever thought maybe it's your part of the country that's sucking the money out of KY/WV with Amazon, Microsoft etc?

Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Have you ever thought maybe it's your part of the country that's sucking the money out of KY/WV with Amazon, Microsoft etc?
Hahah okay sure! Be rid of us then! Redraw the border and put us all in Canada! Let other states pay for WV and KY and we can keep our tax dollars within the state or province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
So, basically Applachian states are the way they are after 200+ years because some percentage of middle-aged miners weren't interested in being retrained as computer programmers and drone operators a few years back.

Got it.
Over a hundred training programs were offered. They didn't want them. So now I'm supposed to support them? No thanks.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Except cost of living is a thing. It has real impact.
COL is no different there than in MD or VA or KY.

In fact gas cost more, seafood cost more.. the only thing cheaper in WV was property taxes and that’s about it. My utilities were as high as Winchester VA.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Oh, I think Canada would love to take Western Washington, the Olympic Peninsula, Puget Sound, Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, Costco, Nordstrom, there's a lot of money here. And that's my point. I would rather my money be going to where I live, not KY and WV. Not for them to have health care while people in my state don't. Denmark takes care of their entire country. Here, certain states like WV and KY are takers while other states are major contributors.
That doesn't address what I wrote, dude. I said that Canada has poor rural and rust-belt areas as well. So you'd still be paying for their healthcare. You can't have a whole country made up of yuppie city neighborhoods and middle-class suburbs. Things just don't work that way.

And you contradict yourself. You tout the virtues of government health care, but then you complain about paying for other people's healthcare.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:42 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, how about you push for whichever state that you live in to secede from the Union, then you won't have to worry about it anymore? And then we won't have to hear you whine about it. It's a win/win.
It doesn't sound as though you've read very many of her posts. She would love to have a 'blue state country' that people from red states could, in one way or another, be excluded from.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:43 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Uh they suck it out of a can of Busch and a meth pipe. Maybe a bag of craklins too.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:43 PM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post

You guys need to put together some strange patch-work country, made up of all of the yuppie city neighborhoods of the country, and nothing else. I mean that's what you're really looking for, isn't it?
It'll need to include wilderness areas for refreshing the minds of mountain-biking Google employees and large automated agricultural areas (owned by urban investment bankers, naturally) to provide snack products.

Back to WV and the like. I wonder if you can't see part of the problem simply in their transportation network. I need to look at a few maps and see if the difference is to be spotted at the 100,000 ft. level.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Hahah okay sure! Be rid of us then! Redraw the border and put us all in Canada! Let other states pay for WV and KY and we can keep our tax dollars within the state or province.
I don't think you should secede a part of the US to another nation, but I would love if you would take all the democrats with you and break away. That is my dream come true, often labeled as "white supremacy" if someone like me says it. Then we'll see who ends up better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies