U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,294,419 times

Advertisements

The SCOTUS ruled against mandatory school prayer recital in June of 1962. I suppose some public schools violated this ruling for a while but not for long with the threat of future funding.

For a while there were other issues that had to be resolved including "intercom prayer", school Christmas programs. prayers at extracurricular activities such as football games etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:24 AM

9,932 posts, read 4,467,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Wow, what an atomic pile you just unloaded there. Apparently someone forgot the teaching to Love your Neighbor, and the parable about the Samaritan.

Nothing in there about democrats or republicans, though.
No kidding. That's the kind of crap that turned me away from religion by the time I was 12 years old. And I've been a dyed-in-the-wool heathen ever since (now 69).

Old 08-19-2019, 08:34 AM

87,189 posts, read 103,165,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 59, and grew up in the rural South. When I was in grade school (public school, BTW) in the 1960's, we started every school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer. Obviously, school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in time. This was the Bible Belt of course, and everyone participated. It was just a part of life at that time.

Interestingly, I've found that some people (mainly 20- and 30-somethings, it seems) refuse to believe that such as school prayer ever happened outside of a religious school. It seems to be something that today's youngsters have trouble wrapping their minds around (which puzzles me, too).

Any of you 50-somethings (or older) ever have prayer in public school? I can't be the Lone Ranger here.
Older Boomer here. Went to public school in Pennsylvania. It was the law to start every day with 10 verses of the Bible and the Lord's Prayer. That was supposedly William Penn's idea, he being a devout Quaker. I don't remember what the Jewish kids did during prayer time, or Bible reading time if it was from the New Testament. I can't remember exactly when the law was changed.

Ed: I see someone said the law changed in June 1962.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM

14,989 posts, read 9,259,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post

You had a good pastor, those that do not accept Jesus are going to hell.
As a born again Pagan I disagree fear is no way to get people to believe in God.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM

10,083 posts, read 4,722,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As a born again Pagan I disagree fear is no way to get people to believe in God.
Religion=Control.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 AM

9,932 posts, read 4,467,754 times
Quote:
Yeah, I never could get my head around the idea that "Jesus loves you, and if you don't believe that then you're going to burn in hell until the end of time".

Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yeah, I never could get my head around the idea that "Jesus loves you, and if you don't believe that then you're going to burn in hell until the end of time".
That’s because Gods/Jesus love is conditional on you worshipping them.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:27 AM

320 posts, read 39,073 times
Quote:
That’s because Gods/Jesus love is conditional on you worshipping them.

If that is your interpretation, so be it. I don't share that interpretation. I can live with having a different opinion on the matter...can you?

Philippians 2:12

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
If that is your interpretation, so be it. I don't share that interpretation. I can live with having a different opinion on the matter...can you?

Philippians 2:12

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Not going to get into a religious debate here but the scriptures are clear you accept God or you go to hell. Then again worshipping a God who created evil just so he can play hero says all I need to know.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM

320 posts, read 39,073 times
Quote:
Not going to get into a religious debate here but the scriptures are clear

Hey, you finally said something I agree with. The scripture is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or