U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

1,277 posts, read 432,505 times

Advertisements

People who believe in hell create it in their own lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

39,786 posts, read 41,146,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
The Bible is more accurate than many history books.

As it's one of the oldest written texts we have there is really not whole lot of competition in that area. Many of those stories were oral stories passed down for centuries if not millennia. Original context has been lost to time and interpretation. What is really interesting is even the most extraordinary stories could be based on fact, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah for example could of been a meteor strike. Noah and the flood, "the world" at the time may only be 100 square miles to their knowledge. People living to some extreme age? What is a year?

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

9,626 posts, read 4,924,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Almost 50 and I don't recall their being prayers, certainly not in MS or HS. I live in Northeastern PA and religion was pretty big outside of school. Not sure what grade they implemented the moment of silence but it might of been HS, I don't remember doing that either in elementary and MS.

In fact the only time I can remember anything that crossed into religion was in HS history class and they covered many of the major religions history and beliefs.
Mandatory prayer in school was banned by the SC in the early 60's. Before then, districts could require prayer. My NYC public elementary school, k-6, had prayer.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

9,056 posts, read 4,511,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think you are just meeting naive young ones.

My kids know that some schools said prayers.....that's why they have a moment of silence now....so that those that need to pray can and those that don't want to don't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm 33, and I spent a large part of my school years in Georgia (as well as other states). We had the moment of silence and the Pledge of Allegince. We never had school prayer.
I thought they had kicked that to the curb too, so I had to look it up:
Prayer in School Debate: How Are Moments of Silence Covered Under Law?

"Others oppose the idea of the moment of silence.

“Moment of silence legislation is at best a thinly veiled attempt to reintroduce state-sanctioned prayer into its schools,” Dawn Reitan-Brockman wrote in an article called “A Moment of Silence: The Trojan Horse of Our Age.”"

Is a Minute of Silence in School Permissible?

"The answer is ... maybe."

I'm 58 and I don't recall have either prayer of moment of silence, Texas.
The woman that championed this law (road into supreme court on its coat tail) madelyn ohara died a horrible death, close to where I was living in 01. She went missing and no one was concerned. Her son had to engage the officials to get them to investigate her disappearance.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

10,081 posts, read 4,722,886 times
Quote:
As it's one of the oldest written texts we have there is really not whole lot of competition in that area. Many of those stories were oral stories passed down for centuries if not millennia. Original context has been lost to time and interpretation. What is really interesting is even the most extraordinary stories could be based on fact, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah for example could of been a meteor strike. Noah and the flood, "the world" at the time may only be 100 square miles to their knowledge. People living to some extreme age? What is a year?
Check out the total rewrite by the Roman Emperor Constantine. His priests compiled the current New Testament.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

320 posts, read 39,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
A Muslim could quote the Koran that says the infidels--that would be Christians--will be thrown into the fiery pit. That would be his opinion and it would be just as valid as yours.

Yes he could and I respect his right to have an opinion even if I don't respect his opinion.

Old Today, 12:11 AM

Quote:
There is a language disconnect; even though the Bible may be based on fact, what are their facts? And do we know the calendar they used? History of our Calendar There are people who spend their lives in the study of the ancients and it's way to technical for me to comprehend, but at times I will give it a try ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Check out the total rewrite by the Roman Emperor Constantine. His priests compiled the current New Testament.
How The Books of the New Testament Were Written

"Now this event is of great importance for the history of the Bible, because it happened just at the time when the Emperor Constantine accepted Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire (about A.D. 313-25). Only a few years before, Christianity had been an unrecognized and often a persecuted religion; and we know that in the great persecutions of Decius (A.D. 249-51) and Diocletian (A.D. 303-5) many copies of the Christian books were destroyed. Now it was officially recognized, and we know that one of Constantine's first acts was to order fifty copies of the Greek Bible to be written on vellum for his capital, Constantinople. All through the empire there must have been a similar demand for copies of the Scriptures, and a great stimulus must have been given to their production. It is just to this period that the treat codices which we still possess, the Vaticanus and the Sinaiticus, belong; and from that time we have quantities of vellum manuscripts which carry us through the Middle Ages, down to the invention of printing."

Text and Manuscripts of the New Testament

"Codex Vaticanus (B), since 1481, at least, the chief treasure of the Vatican Library, and universally esteemed to be the oldest and best manuscript of the Greek New Testament; fourth century. Written on very fine vellum, the leaves nearly square in shape, 10 X 10 ˝ in., with three narrow columns of 40-44 lines per column and five sheets making the quire. A part of the Epistle to the Hebrews and the Pastorals, Philemon and Revelation are lacking. It is without accents, breathings or punctuation, though corrected and retraced by later hands. In the Gospels the divisions are of an earlier date than in Codex Sinaiticus. The theory of Tischendorf that Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus were in part prepared by the same hand and that they were both among the 50 manuscripts made under the direction of Eusebius at Caesarea in 331 for use in the emperor Constantine's new capital, is not now generally accepted." (my emphasis)

Old Today, 08:29 AM

32,569 posts, read 60,241,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If a sense of patriotism can't be fostered by encouraging critical thinking, then one should wonder why that is.
Well said. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the left had their way, they'd implement prayer in schools and make it a strictly Muslim prayer due to their hatred of Christianity.
Oh, dear ... The uninformed prejudices are out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Even the Boy Scouts have an Oath (or Pledge). Do you consider them to be brainwashed as well?
See ohhwanderlust's response above. I remember our Girl Scout leader explaining to us what every word of the Girl Scout Promise meant, in terms a 7-year-old could relate to.

Also, Boy Scouts is an opt-in organization; public schools are not.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

10,081 posts, read 4,722,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
There is a language disconnect; even though the Bible may be based on fact, what are their facts? And do we know the calendar they used? History of our Calendar There are people who spend their lives in the study of the ancients and it's way to technical for me to comprehend, but at times I will give it a try ...

How The Books of the New Testament Were Written

"Now this event is of great importance for the history of the Bible, because it happened just at the time when the Emperor Constantine accepted Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire (about A.D. 313-25). Only a few years before, Christianity had been an unrecognized and often a persecuted religion; and we know that in the great persecutions of Decius (A.D. 249-51) and Diocletian (A.D. 303-5) many copies of the Christian books were destroyed. Now it was officially recognized, and we know that one of Constantine's first acts was to order fifty copies of the Greek Bible to be written on vellum for his capital, Constantinople. All through the empire there must have been a similar demand for copies of the Scriptures, and a great stimulus must have been given to their production. It is just to this period that the treat codices which we still possess, the Vaticanus and the Sinaiticus, belong; and from that time we have quantities of vellum manuscripts which carry us through the Middle Ages, down to the invention of printing."

Text and Manuscripts of the New Testament

"Codex Vaticanus (B), since 1481, at least, the chief treasure of the Vatican Library, and universally esteemed to be the oldest and best manuscript of the Greek New Testament; fourth century. Written on very fine vellum, the leaves nearly square in shape, 10 X 10 ˝ in., with three narrow columns of 40-44 lines per column and five sheets making the quire. A part of the Epistle to the Hebrews and the Pastorals, Philemon and Revelation are lacking. It is without accents, breathings or punctuation, though corrected and retraced by later hands. In the Gospels the divisions are of an earlier date than in Codex Sinaiticus. The theory of Tischendorf that Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus were in part prepared by the same hand and that they were both among the 50 manuscripts made under the direction of Eusebius at Caesarea in 331 for use in the emperor Constantine's new capital, is not now generally accepted." (my emphasis)
Constantine's priests destroyed many of the widely accepted Christian books at the time because they did not fit their agenda.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Constantine's priests destroyed many of the widely accepted Christian books at the time because they did not fit their agenda.
That could be and if it's true or not it will be found in the research and published on the web site I have given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or