U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:25 AM

8,662 posts, read 11,166,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its been shown to instill patriotism at an early age, so I'm all on board with it. Especially when the alternative for many seems to be a disgraceful hatred of this great nation.
Propaganda works best on the young and feeble minded.

No pledge in Canada. When I grew up it was God Save the Queen and the National Anthem before assemblies in Elementary. Nothing after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,123,672 times
When I was a youngster in grade school, some of our teachers were World War II vets. They were pretty no-nonsense about patriotism. Must have been the whole "fighting Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan" thing.i

Old Today, 08:36 AM

30,224 posts, read 16,789,628 times
I went to elementary and middle school in the rural south. The Lords Prayer was recited every morning.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

37,694 posts, read 16,330,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
No prayer was said in my public schools in texas when I was in K-12. I'm a boomer.

students did stand every morning and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag, which was lead by student leaders over the intercom.
I went to a Catholic school and we NEVER said a prayer. The Pledge yes.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

330 posts, read 125,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
When I was a youngster in grade school, some of our teachers were World War II vets. They were pretty no-nonsense about patriotism. Must have been the whole "fighting Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan" thing.i

Swearing complete and utter allegiance to your country is not what I would call "patriotism".

Old Today, 10:33 AM

30,128 posts, read 15,681,915 times
School prayer should be strictly voluntary. Schools should have the option of allowing students to have a time of silence/reflection/prayer if they want, but no specific time for prayer for public schools.

Old Today, 10:35 AM

9,343 posts, read 4,252,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 59, and grew up in the rural South. When I was in grade school (public school, BTW) in the 1960's, we started every school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer. Obviously, school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in time. This was the Bible Belt of course, and everyone participated. It was just a part of life at that time.

Interestingly, I've found that some people (mainly 20- and 30-somethings, it seems) refuse to believe that such as school prayer ever happened outside of a religious school. It seems to be something that today's youngsters have trouble wrapping their minds around (which puzzles me, too).

Any of you 50-somethings (or older) ever have prayer in public school? I can't be the Lone Ranger here.
I don't know how younger people can think that prayer was never a thing in school unless they are just ignorant of history and politics. Republican activists still push the line that we need to bring prayer back to school and that it is the solution for school shootings and violence.

Old Today, 10:36 AM

10,012 posts, read 4,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
School prayer should be strictly voluntary. Schools should have the option of allowing students to have a time of silence/reflection/prayer if they want, but no specific time for prayer for public schools.
Very true, the prayer was intended for Christians only and the schools did not care about other religions.

Old Today, 10:39 AM

9,343 posts, read 4,252,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Very true, the prayer was intended for Christians only and the schools did not care about other religions.
I think a big difference between prayer in schools back then compared to what the Christian Right wants to do today is the intent. Back then, it was more or less a tradition and it wasn't the same everywhere. More diverse parts of the country were less likely to have it than places that were more exclusively Christian. If prayer was brought back to public schools today, it would be with the primary intention of making students who aren't Christian or aren't the right kind of Christian feel excluded.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

4,144 posts, read 1,171,691 times
I'm a boomer and the pledge was mandatory in school. No prayer. Being a Jehovahs Witness in those days, I sat during the pledge, no hand over heart. Pretty embarrassing at the time. I also had to be excused for all holiday parties. Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or