Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I actually find the pledge more offensive. Nothing like making tots swear loyalty to a government. It's garbage they're too young to even understand.
And left views like yours are part of what is wrong with our country now. Of course they do not understand but as years go by there is a time to ask the true meaning and have open conversation about the meaning. Our kids said prayers every night including the Lords Prayer and eventually they understood what the prayer was all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the left had their way, they'd implement prayer in schools and make it a strictly Muslim prayer due to their hatred of Christianity.
I'm not Muslim. I don't want my kid indoctrinated in any government sponsored religion.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And left views like yours are part of what is wrong with our country now. Of course they do not understand but as years go by there is a time to ask the true meaning and have open conversation about the meaning. Our kids said prayers every night including the Lords Prayer and eventually they understood what the prayer was all about.
That is backward in my view. Making a kid recite an important sentiment without understanding is brainwashing. A PLEDGE? Unless they are pledging the willingness to use Pledge on the furniture right now, count me out.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is backward in my view. Making a kid recite an important sentiment without understanding is brainwashing. A PLEDGE? Unless they are pledging the willingness to use Pledge on the furniture right now, count me out.
When I was in elementary school, they taught us to say the pledge as well as explained it. We had a worksheet that went through all the lines and found out what a republic is. If your school didn't explain it to you, I blame that on your school.

I'm relatively ambivalent over the pledge and feel it should be up to the schools themselves to decide.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I'm not Muslim. I don't want my kid indoctrinated in any government sponsored religion.
Heā€™s just using fear to justify his religion like most do on here.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When I was in elementary school, they taught us to say the pledge as well as explained it. We had a worksheet that went through all the lines and found out what a republic is. If your school didn't explain it to you, I blame that on your school.
I am 51 years old. The idea of pledging allegiance is a complex one. If you think it is not squashing critical thinking skills to give an elementary aged kid a worksheet and an explanation does the job of education on this topic, I am sorry you vote.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
I suppose if you want to take it to the extreme, couldn't you say that teaching a first grader the topics of math, history, English, and writing skills is "indoctrination"?

Old 08-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I suppose if you want to take it to the extreme, couldn't you say that teaching a first grader the topics of math, history, English, and writing skills is "indoctrination"?
No. That's nuts.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
You're confusing knowledge with belief. Schools should teach knowledge. Parents and churches should teach beliefs.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Even the Boy Scouts have an Oath (or Pledge). Do you consider them to be brainwashed as well?
The Boy Scouts is a voluntary non-government organization. Their club, their rules. They're also not an entity established with the sole purpose of educating the children.

The pledge is not brainwashing provided that schools actually thoroughly educate children beforehand on its contents *and* keep observance of it strictly voluntary (and ideally encouraging children to only recite it if they really think they fully understand it and swear to it).

Call me crazy, but I take pledges of any sort very seriously, and don't think they should be devalued into mindless bleary-eyed routine recital on autopilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies