U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM

1,007 posts, read 543,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
TDS is very strong here. LOL

Leftists get rick rolled by Trump on a daily basis.
oh its back to him trolling the liberals with this.. Its too bad he was serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

33,492 posts, read 17,155,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
At first I thought this is such a stupid idea...
Sometimes, the instinctual response is the right one.

Quote:
...but then after some looking into it, it makes a lot of sense to try to work out a deal for Greenland.
The Premier of Greenland and the Danish PM both agreed with your first assessment - such a stupid idea. It kinda ends there. Particularly with Trump being an oaf about it.

I don't think a lot of people on this board quite understand the international contempt for Trump. Doing a deal with him on anything is a dangerous political maneuver at the best of times. Doing a deal after he's decided to be rude about it? Forget it. Denmark will join a lot of other countries in waiting for a sane and reasonably competent US administration, because what you have right now can't be taken seriously.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

10,403 posts, read 2,577,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Remember when electing Trump would restore respect for the US overseas? Good times.
LOL!!!

awesome

Old 08-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Politicians do stupid things that hurt some people and normally put money in their pockets and more power/control in their hands. That is pretty much all that politicians do and I expect little else from them. Sometimes they are obvious about it, sometimes subtle, but they all do the same thing.

At least this is amusing. Since they take so much of my money, they should at least try to be entertaining. trump is very very good at being entertaining.

What would be really funny to me is if he somehow pulled it off and acquired Greenland. I know nothing about Greenland or why we would want it, but the entertainment value is off the charts. Far better than a stupid war that has no chance of accomplishing anything or another yawner scandal or yes another pointless investigation.

I understand they are going to waste my money playing games and being stupid (or giving it to their friends). That is just how it is. but at least they can be entertaining about it. We pay a lot for entertainment. They should contribute. Trump has created the most political entertainment out of DC in decades. He makes both sides act and look crazy and stupid. It is like some scripted reality TV show, only better.

Who could have come up with buying Greenland? Even the better TV comedy writers are unlikely to come up with this. Maybe it is a good thing, maybe purely stupid, but it is certainly entertaining.
This is how a republic dies.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM

650 posts, read 154,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is how a republic dies.
By asking to buy Greenland?

lol. You guys, anything for drama.

I did just read that Seward did one better than Truman. He tried to not only buy Greenland, but also Iceland. Heck, with Thule AFB and God knows what else, Greenland is essentially a military reservation for the US in any case. In any kind of more aggressive conflict the place would be immediately taken over like it was in WWII, it would be interesting to see the current planning on that.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
By asking to buy Greenland?
That's what you took as the essential bit of Coldjensen's post?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM

52,951 posts, read 42,609,948 times
I'm struggling to recall how the US not meeting with Denmark is a big deal one way or another.

I'll rank that right up there with him skipping a chance to meet the Governor of Wisconsin and judging the dairy cow competition at the state fair.

Apologies if I insulted any of the 5-6 million inhabitants of Denmark, maybe they should consider joining the US and becoming our 22nd largest state?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM

4,305 posts, read 6,518,691 times
It is rumored that Trump now wants to buy the Moon.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:47 PM

5,031 posts, read 1,053,360 times
Denmark is pretty progressive, as are Greenlanders.

Two extra Democratic Senators in Congress. That should warm the cockles of Trump's heart.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 PM

5,031 posts, read 1,053,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
And a reply from Greenland
adam seven 🇫🇮 🇪🇺 (@a7_FIN_SWE) Tweeted:
Greenland's chief of govrmnt wants to buy USA back. "It was Leif the Fortunate that discovered America, and his father Erik the Red who discovered Greenland. It's only natural." The price will have to be set relatively low, due to the huge government debt. "With Trump even lower" https://t.co/EUeIWthAF3

adam seven 🇫🇮 🇪🇺
@a7_FIN_SWE
Greenland's chief of govrmnt wants to buy USA back. "It was Leif the Fortunate that discovered America, and his father Erik the Red who discovered Greenland. It's only natural." The price will have to be set relatively low, due to the huge government debt. "With Trump even lower"
Oh, that's too funny!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies