U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 PM

49,695 posts, read 46,405,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Makes me wonder how many other countries are going to invite him now that he's pulled this on Denmark....
Some people aren't going to care. Some will look at this as "it's us vs the world". The attitude is "if they don't like Trump, they can kick rocks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:21 PM

23,254 posts, read 15,150,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I couldn't believe what I was hearing when he said "I am the chosen one." Delusions of grandeur, insulting Queens. As the Danes said, every day we think it can't get worse, and then Trump succeeds. He seems to have developed something of a god complex as president.
He has been listening to Evangelicals who say stuff like that. They liken him to The Persian Emperor who let the Jews go back to Jerusalem.

At least, I think that’s where he gets this stuff.

I wonder if he’s having a mental breakdown.

He is also “looking into” changing the birthright law, which is written in the Constitution. I don’t know how he thinks he can change that. Executive order? What is in his brain?

This Greenland thing comes out of nowhere. Where would the country get the money? The country is already in serious debt.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 2,622,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
He has been listening to Evangelicals who say stuff like that. They liken him to The Persian Emperor who let the Jews go back to Jerusalem.

At least, I think that’s where he gets this stuff.

I wonder if he’s having a mental breakdown.

He is also “looking into” changing the birthright law, which is written in the Constitution. I don’t know how he thinks he can change that. Executive order? What is in his brain?

This Greenland thing comes out of nowhere. Where would the country get the money? The country is already in serious debt.
This isn't even a political thing. Hopefully everyone, regardless of political preference, is concerned about a president who claims he is "the chosen one," believes he can buy countries, and short-notice cancels a planned visit with the Queen using twitter.

It is some form of mental breakdown.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,914,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Greenland was never for sale for him to buy. Trump is the one that was bought. Buy the NRA.
Great idea. Maybe he can speed them into bankruptcy. Hes got a track record for doing that.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:39 PM

5,115 posts, read 5,966,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Willing buyer, willing seller.

That is not the case with Greenland. Understand the difference?
Same buyer, same seller. Offer made, turned down, wait for counter offer or make new offer.
Normal real estate protocol.

I guess you've never bought a house before.

Business as usual, understand?

Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM

8,114 posts, read 2,869,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Same buyer, same seller. Offer made, turned down look for counter offer.

I guess you've never bought a house before?

This isn't business. This is maintaining relations with long time allies.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:47 PM

5,031 posts, read 1,055,501 times
Quote:
Same buyer, same seller. Offer made, turned down, wait for counter offer or make new offer.

Yeah, unlike Trump, I have never bankrupted others in my real estate deals, and actually pay my contractors. And actually have more equity in properties than banks and Russian oligarchs have. I ain't Putin on the ritz.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 2,622,459 times
Quote:

The rest of the world is well past the days of buying countries. Trump needs some lessons in human rights.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
This isn't business. This is maintaining relations with long time allies.
Buying a piece of property from a friend doesn't change your friendship, no different from buying a couch or a car from a friend.
Buying from them doesn't cancel the friendship or else the US and Denmark would have stopped speaking after we bought the Virgin Islands in 1917, but instead we drove the nazis out of Denmark in 1944-45. Something a friend would do for a friend.

Trying to make it sound like this is the first time one country bought land from another only makes you sound uninformed at best.

France may not have been happy to sell the Louisiana territory, but a mutually agreed upon price was reached and the sale went through. I'll agree when counties exchange real estate it's more complicated than a private sale between individuals, but except for scale and complexity, that's all this is.

Same as when Truman first floated the idea when he was in office.

Not that big of a deal unless the sale goes through of course.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The rest of the world is well past the days of buying countries. Trump needs some lessons in human rights.
Human rights???
This is about buying some land not people.

In 1917 there was language in the treaty protecting the inhabitants of the Virgin Islands so they didn't lose any private property or their status as Danish citizens if they chose.

Human rights aren't at issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies