Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,102,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Well, if arctic wasteland is your idea of a vacation paradise we already have Alaska. I hear the Brooks Range is nice this time of year.
A lot of Greenland is beautiful. I watched it over a plane as I flew to Europe many times. Haven't been there, but could tell from the plane that there are plenty of fjords, mountains, glaciers and natural beauty. Alaska has that too, of course. I've been to Alaska, loved it. But no harm in adding more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,229,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Well, if arctic wasteland is your idea of a vacation paradise we already have Alaska. I hear the Brooks Range is nice this time of year.
That's right. We have a place with some similarities to Greenland. Actually, Alaska has very diverse landscapes and climates relative to Denmark. If one wants their Arctic fix, one can go to the town of Utqiagvik.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,522,620 times
All this angst, chest beating and hair pulling, I doubt there was much notice when we bought the US Virgin Islands, (the Danish West Indies), from Denmark in 1917.

Of course Trump wasn't President then, democrat Woodrow Wilson was, so that was OK.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
A lot of Greenland is beautiful. I watched it over a plane as I flew to Europe many times. Haven't been there, but could tell from the plane that there are plenty of fjords, mountains, glaciers and natural beauty. Alaska has that too, of course. I've been to Alaska, loved it. But no harm in adding more.
Why would you want more? What is the point? What are you getting out of it besides more land area and some place to travel to? What can you get from Greenland that you can't get from Alaska?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,102,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why would you want more? What is the point? What are you getting out of it besides more land area and some place to travel to? What can you get from Greenland that you can't get from Alaska?
You listed two reasons that are good enough for me: The USA is bigger, also another place to travel to. Not that I couldn't travel to Greenland now, but it would be easier to anyway this way.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,934,941 times
The only thing I'll miss about Trump is his dotards twisting themselves into pretzels attempting to defend every moronic thing he does.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
All this angst, chest beating and hair pulling, I doubt there was much notice when we bought the US Virgin Islands, (the Danish West Indies), from Denmark in 1917.

Of course Trump wasn't President then, democrat Woodrow Wilson was, so that was OK.
Actually, Denmark wanted to give up the islands. The USA initially didn't want to buy them. Denmark wanted to give up the islands because they were no longer profitable for producing sugar cane and it was expensive to govern the islands from Denmark. A treaty was signed between the two countries. I wouldn't have been in favor of it then either. Denmark isn't interested in selling Greenland at this point.

Something else. It's 2019. No one on this thread was born yet when that transaction took place.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,501,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Is Obama scoping out new places to flee to when the Spygate indictments start flying?
Mmmm, and what are these indictments again?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You listed two reasons that are good enough for me: The USA is bigger, also another place to travel to. Not that I couldn't travel to Greenland now, but it would be easier to anyway this way.
Those reasons are not good enough for this country. I don't care about what you want. It isn't about you. It is about this country, the USA. What is the USA getting out of it besides a travel destination? And do the people of Greenland want to be part of the USA? If the answer is no, this isn't about you. Your wishes to go to Greenland without a passport are meaningless in the much larger picture. Of course, if you don't care about the bigger picture, at least do what I would do and admit it.

And something else. This is just my opinion. I think you want Trump to buy Greenland for these reasons:

1) You think "Make America Great Again" includes building up an American Empire, similar to the British Empire.
2) You get off on annoying those who oppose Trump.
3) Greed.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM

15,686 posts, read 6,393,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

In 1916, during World War 1, the US threatened to occupy the islands if Denmark didn't comply. Denmark preferred a peaceful transfer, so they agreed.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/wwi/107293.htm

Was that okay? Hmm. Well it was a different time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies