U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:05 PM

15,599 posts, read 7,980,434 times

Advertisements

The article really didn't provide information on what sorts of violent crime that they are speaking of.

I'll note, I do believe that violent criminals should be both locked up and in most circumstances provided some rehabilitative services.

On the article - violent crimes IMO depend on the circumstances. Usually they go for a combination of crimes relating to both drug selling/abuse and violence. A lot of violent crime is tied up in the illegality of drugs. I think a lot of conservatives don't want to admit this just as much as liberals don't want to admit that most people in prison are there due to violence.

That said, I know people who went to prison or jail based on a violent crime someone they were with committed at the time. I described this before in that I have a cousin who went to the store with a group of friends, one of the teens, he didn't know well and the one he didn't know, once they were in the store, pulled out a gun and shot and killed the clerk. My cousin, who was a teen at the time, was arrested related to armed robbery and homicide and had to do a long time in the county jail but luckily his parents got him a great lawyer and he was able to beat the charges and not do time in the state prison system. Though he was in prison for what would be considered a "violent crime" he actually had not been violent (there was a video of the murder BTW, my cousin is seen getting a drink out of a refrigerator and turning around and yelling/screaming out as the other boy attempts to rob then shoots the clerk).

The mention of "manslaughter" in the article is also one that would need to be reviewed. A lot of manslaughter deaths are not related to the perpetrator willingly/knowingly planning to do a violent act. It is often associated with some sort of random occurrence, a fight ensues and then someon ends up dead.

Will be controversial, but I'd bring up George Zimmerman. He followed Trayvon Martin, approached Trayvon Martin, and didn't intend to kill Trayvon Martin. Trayvon was walking from a store minding his business and not doing anything to George Zimmerman. George was charged with murder instead of manslaughter, even though that instance should have been a manslaughter charge by all accounts. I'll also be controversial and admit that if George Zimmerman was black, he would be in prison right now for killing black Trayvon Martin in the same scenario IMO either for murder or manslaughter. Regardless of all the race folks who like to bring up crimes, more often than not a black man who kills another black man, if caught, he is going to prison unless he is super rich. Oftentimes those who commit manslaughter who are in prison are there due to similar sorts of situations as what occurred between George and Trayvon.

On manslaughter again, I have a step uncle, who has since passed away that did 2 stints in prison for manslaughter. His first case he was 16 years old and he was convicted of manslaughter in the early 1970s after someone started a fight with him and he ended up beating them to death. He got out of prison within 8 years for that person's death, which was labeled a manslaughter charge. The second time, interestingly, was a similar situation whereas he was attacked by another man for cheating with the man's wife. He ended up killing the man and did another 12 years in prison for that for another manslaughter charge. He never actually went out and sought to kill anyone in a violent manner but was attacked/approached aggressively both times that he committed manslaughter. IMO he should have received some rehab and counseling services, especially with the first incident that occurred when he was a teen in order to learn how to handle his anger and come back to regular society. When I was a young child, he lived a few doors down from me and I remember he was very aggressive with other adults - he said it was from being in prison and how you always had to watch your back. He developed a "not-taking-any-sh*t" sort of attitude and he didn't. Most people knew he was that kind of guy and just didn't "go there" with him but the man whose wife he was sleeping with (and he knew she was married BTW) actually attacked him in a bar regardless of that attitude/reputation (husband smashed a bottle over my step uncle's head - step uncle smashed a bottle over his head too and they fought and the husband later died of his injuries).

Violent crime doesn't necessarily mean that a person went out and attacked or killed someone with intent and on purpose just because they were a violent criminal. That does happen of course, but I do think that reform of our prisons should occur mostly because most of these violent criminals will get out of prison eventually, especially as the article noted - those in state prisons, which is where my step uncle served time. If they are not rehabilitated and treated like people and taught some skills so they can "make it" in general society, they will more than likely commit another violent act upon society.

Also many drug addicts perform violent acts when under the influence of drugs. They should be rehabilitated as well instead of just put in a prison where they can remain addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:14 PM

8,663 posts, read 11,166,395 times
There's lots of opinion in the OP's article. Skinny on actual facts and sources. Prison is usually for sentences longer than 2 years. I'd be interested to know if they included county jails as well, or where they're actually getting their data from.

Old Today, 06:01 PM

5,067 posts, read 997,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
many more should be in prison.
Thing that sucks is they can find ways to avoid being prison like a bleeding-heart judge, legal loopholes, and bribes.

Old Today, 07:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 373,799 times
We had quite a scare up here in the Seattle/Tacoma area in 2016. Two very violent offenders escaped from Western State Hospital. It's unfathomable that they could have escaped. I belueve one of them is a murderer, but they both look like nightmares.
Attached Thumbnails
Americans have been brainwashed about who's in prison-screenshot_2019-08-16-17-49-00.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies