U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:58 AM

35,737 posts, read 32,488,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
At this point, I'm far more pro-Trump than at the election. He's made a good solid effort on mass immigration from the Third World against truly yuge odds.

The thing is, the palace coup that got run on the man even before his policies got started up was a real shot across the bow to a lot of people. There's something malevolent in the middle of the machinery of government and it represents an existential threat to our country. I can forgive Trump a lot if his only superpower is to stand in the way of those people.

Generally, I'd say that Donald Trump, flaws and all, represents the immune system of Western Civilization kicking in.

He's an ass, he's got a bloated ego but the guy is getting it done. No one with any common sense can argue against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 7,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Mostly great post, but for the bolded. ANY politician gets these labels. Obama has been called a huge racist by the Trump base, as has Biden and for many of them "all libs". That is the nature of politics. Trump is a special kind of "racist, sexist and all the rest".

Otherwise, I am saddened to say you are probably exactly right. Basically, your post accurately says "good guys usually finish last". I do wonder if "good guys" will EVER have a chance after the age of Trump?
The entire Democrat platform is built upon elitism and racism. Elitism in that the powerful want the masses to do what they say rather than what they do, and racism in the idea that minorities need government help to succeed.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

9,815 posts, read 2,411,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The smarter former Trump voters have to be waking up and saying "Hey... wait a minute. Donald Trump is not what I thought I was voting for, I may have made a mistake ." I know a couple of people in my circle of friends who were completely bullish on Trump in the beginning ........now, you don't get much out of them, and they look a little sheepish when the conversation swings that direction.
I have seen the same changes. Most of his most boisterous and animated supporters around me have gone silent.

For myself, I was very interested in much of what he had to say, and I agreed with him on many things. I was, I must admit, attracted to the concept a little bit in the beginning. he could have won me over.

I liked the fact that he was 'self funded' and not beholding to anyone ... that changed, of course, after it was revealed that he 'loaned' the campaign his money, and expected to get it back from the donations of others. Then he aggressively pursued large donations from the mega rich and large globalist enterprises. They knew what he was up to and wouldn't give him a dime until he forgave that loan, he did, and the many millions of dollars poured into his campaign. He has behaved like an 'owned' man ever since.

I liked that he was big on infrastructure. I was skeptical that he, as a 'Republican', offered no plan to pay for it. That turned into nothing more than a bunch of smoke, he was more focused on tax breaks for himself and the other rich billionaires than funding infrastructure updates and improvements, and that tax cut for the rich was taken up first. His own infrastructure plan, barely revealed, showed hints of a scheme to sell off government assets through 'private-public' partnerships. Reagan tried that too, and cities like Chicago actually did it, it's not a new idea and it turns out badly when tried.

I was skeptical of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (which seemed at the time to be more focused on protecting intellectual property and getting American pharmaceutical companies to enforce their patents and raise the cost of foreign made prescription drugs than protecting American jobs). Trump came out against it, and I was ok with that, I was on his side. Now we are engaging in 'plan B' which is nothing but a reckless trade war with almost everyone ... no one knows how it will end. It seems like there is no 'plan'.

Trump championed the idea of keeping manufacturing jobs in the USA, I liked that. Trump encouraged us to boycott Mondelēz for moving a factory from Chicago to Mexico, and I embraced it, I have never since bought Oreo cookies, almost five years ... on his advice. I wonder how many Oreos are available in Trump hotels and resorts these days? The man strikes me as insincere, one who says a lot but doesn't usually mean it. Many of his claims ring hollow.

But the man is a crook. It overshadows everything. He swindled people who bought condos in various places and people who went to his pseudo-school. He hurt a lot of ordinary folks. He promotes hoaxes and lies like the devil. The man sets a poor example for our young people, he is unworthy of the office.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

46,284 posts, read 18,317,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I have seen the same changes. Most of his most boisterous and animated supporters around me have gone silent.
Walsh? Haha. This proves both of you wrong.

The attendance broke an all time record for Manchester.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

855 posts, read 936,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The smarter former Trump voters have to be waking up and saying "Hey... wait a minute. Donald Trump is not what I thought I was voting for, I may have made a mistake ." I know a couple of people in my circle of friends who were completely bullish on Trump in the beginning ........now, you don't get much out of them, and they look a little sheepish when the conversation swings that direction.

As much as we like to come down on Trump voters, not all of them are pickup truck with a dog in the back, low intelligence people. Some are actually nice people and smart. I think those are the people who will not be ashamed to admit they made a mistake. But his core base, some of whom we see daily on here, will never back down, and if he loses, they will be the most vocal and conspiracy believing people on the planet.
What an utterly nasty thing to say. Truck and dog owners are "low intelligence people"? Really? Let me clear a few things up for you. I'm an Independent and Trump was dead last on my list of the Republicans that I considered voting for but when it came down to Trump or Clinton, it was a no brainer for me and millions of other Americans. To this day, I will not tell my kids who I voted for because they are neverTrumpers and I didn't want to cause a rift in my family. MAYBE, that's why your "smarter former Trump voters" are looking a little "sheepish". They are sick of being insulted and ridiculed for who they voted for and they quietly still support him and will vote for him again.

Remember, the polls had Hillary winning by a landslide but the "silent majority" went to the polls and proved them wrong. Since the election, I'm even more convinced I voted correctly. Do I agree with everything Trump says or does? Absolutely not! But he is definitely shaking things up and people are being exposed for who they really are and it ain't pretty. He's also accomplished a lot of what he promised which is a refreshing change from others who've promised things and never delivered.

My bet is the "silent majority" will re-elect him because the alternative options are literally unhinged and have gone bat sh*t crazy with the policies they are supporting. Trump supporters aren't as stupid as you think they are. We KNOW these far left wing ideas are bad for our country and expect who ever wins the primary on the left will quickly try to move center in order to try and attract the independents and moderates. It's not going to work because we "low intelligence people" are smart enough to know what is going on.

Had Democrats put out better candidates that were more moderate and they ran their campaigns that way, they might have had a real chance. I'd say the Democrats are the low intelligence people.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

11,741 posts, read 2,903,575 times
The only reason candidates on both sides who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting even 1% of their party's votes is ...(drumroll please) ... PUBLICITY!

Presstitutes happily oblige.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

7,214 posts, read 7,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

For myself, I was very interested in much of what he had to say, and I agreed with him on many things. I was, I must admit, attracted to the concept a little bit in the beginning. he could have won me over.

I liked the fact that he was 'self funded' and not beholding to anyone ... that changed, of course, after it was revealed that he 'loaned' the campaign his money, and expected to get it back from the donations of others. Then he aggressively pursued large donations from the mega rich and large globalist enterprises. They knew what he was up to and wouldn't give him a dime until he forgave that loan, he did, and the many millions of dollars poured into his campaign. He has behaved like an 'owned' man ever since.

I liked that he was big on infrastructure. I was skeptical that he, as a 'Republican', offered no plan to pay for it. That turned into nothing more than a bunch of smoke, he was more focused on tax breaks for himself and the other rich billionaires than funding infrastructure updates and improvements, and that tax cut for the rich was taken up first. His own infrastructure plan, barely revealed, showed hints of a scheme to sell off government assets through 'private-public' partnerships. Reagan tried that too, and cities like Chicago actually did it, it's not a new idea and it turns out badly when tried.

I was skeptical of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (which seemed at the time to be more focused on protecting intellectual property and getting American pharmaceutical companies to enforce their patents and raise the cost of foreign made prescription drugs than protecting American jobs). Trump came out against it, and I was ok with that, I was on his side. Now we are engaging in 'plan B' which is nothing but a reckless trade war with almost everyone ... no one knows how it will end. It seems like there is no 'plan'.

Trump championed the idea of keeping manufacturing jobs in the USA, I liked that. Trump encouraged us to boycott Mondelēz for moving a factory from Chicago to Mexico, and I embraced it, I have never since bought Oreo cookies, almost five years ... on his advice. I wonder how many Oreos are available in Trump hotels and resorts these days? The man strikes me as insincere, one who says a lot but doesn't usually mean it. Many of his claims ring hollow.

But the man is a crook. It overshadows everything. He swindled people who bought condos in various places and people who went to his pseudo-school. He hurt a lot of ordinary folks. He promotes hoaxes and lies like the devil. The man sets a poor example for our young people, he is unworthy of the office.
Because his opponents on the left are such fine, upstanding people, eh?

If setting a good example for children were a criteria for POTUS, the oval office would have been empty for the last 30 years.

Old Today, 09:15 AM

5,667 posts, read 2,088,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He's an ass, he's got a bloated ego but the guy is getting it done. No one with any common sense can argue against it.

Trump is getting what done? Trump's major non-accomplishments:

Mexico never paid for the wall
Obamacare wasn't repealed
5% GDP growth promise -- never came close
Huge tax cuts that didn't pay for themselves as promised
Huge tax cuts that are racking up huge deficits
Raised taxes on consumers with tariffs
Destroyed ag markets with tariffs, family farms going bankrupt
North Korea still has nukes
The Nobel prize he never got
Obstructed justice 10 times
Former campaign manager in jail
Former best friend is a dead pedophile
More time spent playing golf than any other president

Trump is running for reelection on these "accomplishments" ???

Old Today, 09:17 AM

14,900 posts, read 9,235,296 times
Quote:
Getting what done? The economy? The economy was good when Obama was in office Trump said it was fake news but inherited the exact same stats, suddenly they were real. Now that they’ are going down , they’re fake again.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

418 posts, read 91,011 times
Quote:
Judging from biographies, practically any President is. You'd have to look hard to beat someone like LBJ for terrible behavior. The difference is in the public face.

Trump strikes me as a man for the times. The internet has coarsened people (just look at the C-D politics forum) and everyone, celebrity or schmoe, feels obligated to pour the surface of their brain into a keyboard. Generally, I'd say that Trump is a model for the politician of the future. His talent for predicting the future of politics allowed a shoestring operation to slide by the annoited candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or