U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

17,289 posts, read 13,906,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Oh, according to the BLM crowd and Antifa, what the US has been doing via mass incarceration for non-violent offenses may be worse.

But, again, its all a matter of perspective.
Not really. Re-education is fundamentally different to prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

6,753 posts, read 6,668,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll say this. No one truly respects a dictatorship. Fear and respect are not the same thing. When I was in middle school and high school. I got bullied alot. The kids that bullied me, I never respected them. I feared some of them. I was smaller than alot of kids. I knew they had alot of size on me and could send me to the hospital. I did fight some of those bullies, to let them know I would stand up. The thing is, I didn't respect them. I feared some of them, but I had no respect for them. I had only hatred and often wished bad things would happen to them.

I bring this up because I want to make that same comparison to the protests, and someone suggesting that Beijing crack down and get really hard with Hong Kong. I thought Americans were suppose to be against Communist governments and their dictatorial crack downs. Next thing you know, we'll have individuals who try to make excuses for the Tiananmen Square massacre. No one really respects a dictator or the violent strongmen out there. People fear such people. When you respect someone, you don't want to let that person down.

Angela Merkel and Vladimir Putin. Based on what I know, I have more respect for Merkel than Putin.
When you have a relatively uneducated and poor population who got used to being scolded an beaten by their parents and teachers, democracy cannot really work in a sudden. China is not rooted in a Protestant culture which promotes personal choices.
In addition, China is a typical meritocracy. Many things considered normal in the US are actually perceived unfair in China.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

6,753 posts, read 6,668,011 times
Quote:

But the way we have some complaining about how bad the PRC is, they wouldn't even need this "treaty" to disappear someone from Hong Kong into mainland China.
That is another thing. Don't tell me CIA never did that.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 13 days ago)

12,457 posts, read 6,498,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not really. Re-education is fundamentally different to prison.
Those who are imprisoned and then marked for life with records (and then have to turn to a life of crime as they can't find honest work, which has generational and cruel impacts on communities) are often worse off than people who have been "re-educated." I've seen first hand the impact that mass incarceration for non violent crimes has had on my community. It ain't pretty.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Those who are imprisoned and then marked for life with records (and then have to turn to a life of crime as they can't find honest work, which has generational and cruel impacts on communities) are often worse off than people who have been "re-educated."
I guess if you think being a rapist is the same as being a muslim, then you would think that - "perspective" saves the day again.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I guess if you think being a rapist is the same as being a muslim, then you would think that - "perspective"saves the day again.
I guess you think that being a rapist is the same as someone who has committed a non-violent crime

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I guess you think that being a rapist is the same as someone who has committed a non-violent crime
Theft is violent crime in my opinion.

Do you think being a muslim is the same as being a thief?

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Theft is violent crime in my opinion.

Do you think being a thief is the same as being a muslim?
I'm referring to non-violent criminals (as I made clear a few posts ago), mainly drug offenses, which have resulted in countless black men being locked up and having records to their names. Then there were all the people who committed non violent offenses who were swept up in the zero tolerance crackdowns of the 1990s.

My point is that there are problems with any system. That doesn't mean that one system is inherently worse than the other or that one system is more strongly supported/right for that people than another system.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to non-violent criminals (as I made clear a few posts ago), mainly drug offenses, which have resulted in countless black men being locked up and having records to their names. Then there were all the people who committed non violent offenses who were swept up in the zero tolerance crackdowns of the 1990s.
Sure - have a debate about the pros and cons of imprisonment for non violent offenses.

That's very different to re-education due to religious or political beliefs.

Re education does mean that one system is worse.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Sure - have a debate about the pros and cons of imprisonment for non violent offenses.

That's very different to re-education due to religious or political beliefs
Very different but arguably more devastating.

And, let's be clear. The PRC is engaging in these re-education camps due to years of dealing with terrorist attacks in certain regions of the country by radical Islamists who were specifically targeting Han Chinese people. They are not just merely choosing to engage in "re-education" for the hell of it.

Still, I can admit that its a problem and not the approach that I would take. But, again, every country and society has its problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies