Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Maybe protecting himself from the Chinese government?

China is going after actors who make a lot of money.

"...The movie industry at large also fell under scrutiny. On June 27, five government agencies, including film and tax authorities, issued a joint directive capping salaries for on-screen talent at 40 percent of a movie’s total production budget. Individual stars, meanwhile, would not be allowed to earn more than 70 percent of a production’s total wages for actors. The notice chastised the industry for “distorting social values” and encouraging the “growing tendency towards money worship” through the “blind chasing of stars.”

..Two days later, Fan Bingbing, the most famous woman in China, whose primary job is being seen by the public, vanished without a trace...".

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...est-movie-star

Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,106,583 times
If China really wants to end this issue in Hong Kong with the tens of thousands of protesters, all they need to do is send in one man....Chuck Norris.
One and Done!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
People’s lives are threatened by the gov he believes in..
You didn't think I would see this?

Old 08-16-2019, 11:00 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,090,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You didn't think I would see this?

Had a feeling. I do see your points alot of the times.
I just think govs should fear their people, not the other way around.

The problem is people just grow too comfortable.

Protest is the most important thing we have.

Hell, protest is the most American thing ever..

Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,714,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fact of it is that China is China. The people in Honk Kong may want change but it isn't going to happen. And China isn't going to put up with much more of this. I think Jackie is just being typically Asian fatalistic. He realizes where the real power is and is just accepting that.

I believe he sees what's coming and is just trying to save his people from a lot of death and mayhem. And that's coming. Sooner than later. Hong Kong is in no position to start a rebellion. They will lose badly. And Red China will not be challenged by protest.

The people of Hong Kong would need to be a well armed and equipped organized army and even if 2.5 million of them were so prepared they would still be very out manned and outgunned. They are not in the position Taiwan is (that China still doesn't accept) with US backing. Hong Kong will be safely back in the fold soon.

And Jackie Chan knows this.
Jackie Chan's parents grew up in mainland China, and taught him to love China (not necessarily the government).

Many young HKers hate/dislike China (not just the government).

Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,106,583 times
What are the protesters protesting? From what I read, they are not happy that China can extradite individuals accused of a crime back to China from Hong Kong for trial. Is this it?

Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,272,451 times
Quote:
He doesn't want the government to seize his assets. Crystal clear.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:38 AM

30,546 posts, read 18,034,734 times
Quote:
People’s lives are threatened by the gov he believes in..
People need to leave the airport and stop protesting.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:40 AM

30,546 posts, read 18,034,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
What are the protesters protesting? From what I read, they are not happy that China can extradite individuals accused of a crime back to China from Hong Kong for trial. Is this it?
That's largely the cause of this most recent round of protests. The move doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. Hong Kong is a part of the PRC. This is just PRC trying to start to unify the legal process throughout the entire country.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Listen, I keep telling people that most Chinese back the PRC government. While the PRC is guilty of many atrocities (more so in the past than today), it has also lifted hundreds of millions (an astounding figure when you think about it) out of poverty and has run a fairly stable government and country for decades.

It doesn't surprise me that Chan is taking the position that he is taking.
I agree.

Interestingly, Jackie Chan's family had connections to the Nationalists during the civil war, and his father was reputed to be a spy or them (not sure of the veracity of this claim). The reality is that Hong Kong is destined to be absorbed 100% into China, and there is nothing anyone can actually do about it. They have less than thirty years on a fifty year timeline left to go

The demonstrations are being used by Beijing as an excuse to shorten the timeline of full absorption (claiming 'terrorism' and other false charges to shut the experiment down), it can be abrupt, and the reaction of the Army can be brutal. I dread the thought that this might happen to those people. Perhaps that is what Jackie Chan is thinking.

Yes, the people are being denied the universal suffrage they were promised, the grievances are valid, but this is a dangerous and painful effort and it may very well fail with disastrous results. They probably need to go slower and compromise with the government of Hong Kong, before (due to their own efforts) it no longer exists at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies