U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,710,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Honk Kong has never wanted to be fully absorbed into the PRC. The strict ordehat PRC demands and maintains by force has never been a pleasant prospect to the people of Honk Kong. Honk Kong has always been a place of rampant disorder, criminal activity and everything the PRC hates.

Want to check your spell check, please? It's Hong Kong. Or just write HK.

While most HK people want to be separate from the mainland and don't particularly like the PRC government, you got the rest backwards about HK.

HK actually has a high level of public safety and a low crime rate (you've probably been watching too many triad movies set in HK). Its legal system is attractive to foreign multinationals precisely because it's predictable, orderly and transparent.

What the PRC hates about HK is the free press (for now) and media. They like the money making opportunities (and make full use of it) but wish it was more like Singapore in terms of media control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

9,831 posts, read 2,415,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Jackie Chan is not "a brave man". He's someone who is in favor of dictatorship. ...

Very Trumpian.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,419 posts, read 6,489,580 times
Quote:
Jackie Chan is not "a brave man". He's someone who is in favor of dictatorship. This is the very same man, who said this 10 years ago:

Link to the article right here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-1671337.html

I'm not surprised Jackie Chan would be against the protesters. He thinks Hong Kong should be more like the government in Beijing. According to him, he thinks Chinese people shouldn't have alot of freedom.
Hey, its not a position that I subscribe to, but democracy is not for everyone. And not everyone wants democracy. I won't say whether that is objectively right or wrong. All I'll say is that its not for me.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

2,941 posts, read 952,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's largely the cause of this most recent round of protests. The move doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. Hong Kong is a part of the PRC. This is just PRC trying to start to unify the legal process throughout the entire country.
Basically the only individuals effected and concerned are the ones who plan on using Hong Kong as their safety retreat after committing crimes.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

7,202 posts, read 1,843,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I can see your point, doesn’t wanna bite the hand that feeds him. But still sad that he has blind loyalty, but Inknow even if he wanted to, calling them out would be dangerous..

It would be dangerous for him and whatever family he has in China. I am sure he was asked to speak publicly about this. Perhaps asked is not the correct term.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
And it's one reason I have no respect for him as a person. He's a good actor and I like martial arts movies (I used to take karate). However, he seems to like talking down on Hong Kong. I wouldn't want him holding political office anywhere.
Yep. I liked his movies and his accomplishments as a rags to riches story, but lost respect for him for his authoritarian remarks on politics.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It would be dangerous for him and whatever family he has in China. I am sure he was asked to speak publicly about this. Perhaps asked is not the correct term.
Well, he's got assets overseas and his family can move anywhere. His son was actually born in the US and has a American passport. His wife is Taiwanese.

Naw, he wasn't asked. Chan's been like this all along in terms of his political views.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

25,224 posts, read 9,840,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Had a feeling. I do see your points alot of the times.
I just think govs should fear their people, not the other way around.

The problem is people just grow too comfortable.

Protest is the most important thing we have.

Hell, protest is the most American thing ever..
Just keeping you on your toes.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

7,202 posts, read 1,843,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, he's got assets overseas and his family can move anywhere. His son was actually born in the US and has a American passport. His wife is Taiwanese.

Naw, he wasn't asked. Chan's been like this all along in terms of his political views.

The market for films in China is bigger than America. Certainly it would be foolish to bite the hand that feeds you and what difference would it make? The Chinese will take Hong Kong regardless.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

2,941 posts, read 952,074 times
I thought this was all taken care of by China, starting in 1997.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies