U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

48,842 posts, read 45,845,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep. I liked his movies and his accomplishments as a rags to riches story, but lost respect for him for his authoritarian remarks on politics.
I'm not a fan of authoritarian politics either. Being a Black man, I have relatives who survived the authoritarian politics of Jim Crow. Jim Crow was basically a dictatorship that targeted Black people. One reason I don't respect authoritarian politics. I like democratic ways of doing things. One reason I hope Hong Kong becomes a separate city-state all its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

55,919 posts, read 74,960,375 times
If the protestors fold -extradition for minor infractions will become commonplace
If you get extradited to China you will disappear
Our actors have been weaponized by the politicians why not the orient

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

2,941 posts, read 952,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If the protestors fold -extradition for minor infractions will become commonplace
If you get extradited to China you will disappear
Our actors have been weaponized by the politicians why not the orient
Don't break any laws. Yes, it's quite that simple. That's been working for me. Want to stay out of jail? Don't break laws.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Don't break any laws. Yes, it's quite that simple. That's been working for me. Want to stay out of jail? Don't break laws.
Except one thing. There is a difference between rule of law and a dictatorship. What China has is a dictatorship. I don't think people in Hong Kong want that.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,710,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not a fan of authoritarian politics either. Being a Black man, I have relatives who survived the authoritarian politics of Jim Crow. Jim Crow was basically a dictatorship that targeted Black people. One reason I don't respect authoritarian politics. I like democratic ways of doing things. One reason I hope Hong Kong becomes a separate city-state all its own.
Well, I lived in Hong Kong before, during the transition from UK rule to Chinese sovereignty. It's basically a private club that's run by and for business interests...who don't want fully democratic self-rule. Those tycoons like it the way it is. So that's why the legislature will never have a fully slate of legislators elected by popular vote. They have some legislators who represent "functional constituencies" (business or industry or agricultural interests). Even some legislators who represent old rural village associations - basically feudal landowners in the New Territories.

So it's no wonder that these feckless, self-serving billionaires like Peter Woo and Li Ka-Shing are crying about the stock market going down. They're actually part of the problem - their mercantilist policies have made the city's cost of living prohibitive and that frustrates the vast majority of HK residents.

Unfortunately, logistically, geographically and historically, Hong Kong isn't really able to be an independent city state.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

5,081 posts, read 1,000,605 times
I guess everybody was not kung fu fighting.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

3,137 posts, read 976,248 times
Quote:
Except one thing. There is a difference between rule of law and a dictatorship. What China has is a dictatorship. I don't think people in Hong Kong want that.
They don't want anything that they did not previously have. Hong Kong is not China and has autonomy of government and economy, as it has had in the last several centuries. They definitely arent interested in being controlled by China.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I lived in Hong Kong before, during the transition from UK rule to Chinese sovereignty. It's basically a private club that's run by and for business interests...who don't want fully democratic self-rule. Those tycoons like it the way it is. So that's why the legislature will never have a fully slate of legislators elected by popular vote. They have some legislators who represent "functional constituencies" (business or industry or agricultural interests). Even some legislators who represent old rural village associations - basically feudal landowners in the New Territories.

So it's no wonder that these feckless, self-serving billionaires like Peter Woo and Li Ka-Shing are crying about the stock market going down. They're actually part of the problem - their mercantilist policies have made the city's cost of living prohibitive and that frustrates the vast majority of HK residents.

Unfortunately, logistically, geographically and historically, Hong Kong isn't really able to be an independent city state.
In short, there is alot of oligarchy taking place. I don't blame anyone for protesting. What I hope is that these protests will lead to a more democratic way of governing.

I am considering the city-state idea for Hong Kong because I think about Singapore. Geographically, Hong Kong does have some issues. There is a large part of the territory that has isn't urbanized. And from what I've heard, there are major controls over where things in the territory get built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvwK5i6BJU

I am thinking that Hong Kong could model some of its survival as a city-state after Singapore. I am thinking more in terms of theory.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,420 posts, read 6,489,580 times
Quote:
I can respect your position. As a black man also whose relatives (including my mother) lived through Jim Crow (and slavery before that), however, I don't compare a race neutral policy supported by the overwhelming majority of Chinese citizens to Jim Crow, which fundamentally targeted people, who had zero say in whether they wanted to buy into such a system, for discrimination on account of their race.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; Yesterday at 06:29 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,420 posts, read 6,489,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Really, it is that simple. Again, the bulk of the Chinese population support the PRC policy and laws. That a handful on a few islands don't doesn't mean that PRC should fail to exercise sovereignty over these islands which are part of its territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies