U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,437 posts, read 6,489,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I lived in Hong Kong before, during the transition from UK rule to Chinese sovereignty. It's basically a private club that's run by and for business interests...who don't want fully democratic self-rule. Those tycoons like it the way it is. So that's why the legislature will never have a fully slate of legislators elected by popular vote. They have some legislators who represent "functional constituencies" (business or industry or agricultural interests). Even some legislators who represent old rural village associations - basically feudal landowners in the New Territories.

So it's no wonder that these feckless, self-serving billionaires like Peter Woo and Li Ka-Shing are crying about the stock market going down. They're actually part of the problem - their mercantilist policies have made the city's cost of living prohibitive and that frustrates the vast majority of HK residents.

Unfortunately, logistically, geographically and historically, Hong Kong isn't really able to be an independent city state.
That's another thing. Hong Kong was never a democracy under the British. It was led by an undemocratically appointed foreigner from England (the governor), who appointed the members of the Legislative Council himself. The Brits only feigned respect for democracy shortly before the turnover, when they moved to a more representative form of electing members of the Legislative Council after it was agreed that Hong Kong would return to Chinese sovereignty. So I really don't want to hear about a thirst for a democracy that they had before the turnover when that s far from what they had.

I firmly believe that while most Hong Kongers would rather not adopt more of the PRC system, most would live with it as they know it wouldn't affect them largely in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

48,848 posts, read 45,845,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can respect your position. As a black man also whose relatives (including my mother) lived through Jim Crow and slavery, however, I don't compare a race neutral policy supported by the overwhelming majority of Chinese citizens to Jim Crow, which fundamentally targeted people, who had zero say in whether they wanted to buy into such a system, for discrimination on account of their race.
I know that they are both different. But just the same, they are both forms of dictatorship. China's version of dictatorship targets everyone. Jim Crow dictatorship targeted only Black people. Different, but both a form of dictatorship.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

10,258 posts, read 6,402,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Had no idea Jackie was a commie, sorry I paid money to watch his movies.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

9,086 posts, read 2,581,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
People’s lives are threatened by the gov he believes in..
So then don't go there. It isn't any of our business.

It is however his business because he is from Hong Kong, he is a native. He also might be more qualified to speak on the topic than any of us.

Peoples lives are threatened because they made a choice to break the laws. The laws good or bad, are what they are and if they want change they have that choice. I was to Hong Kong in January. One would never guess that it was anything but free.

Maybe Jackie remembers Hong Kong under English rule?

Maybe Jackie feels that things aren't so bad and it's a waste of energy trying to fight China, when things (to him) aren't so bad at all.

Peoples lives are threatened by their own actions and decisions. It's on them.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 6,710,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So then don't go there. It isn't any of our business.

It is however his business because he is from Hong Kong, he is a native. He also might be more qualified to speak on the topic than any of us.

Peoples lives are threatened because they made a choice to break the laws. The laws good or bad, are what they are and if they want change they have that choice. I was to Hong Kong in January. One would never guess that it was anything but free.

Maybe Jackie remembers Hong Kong under English rule?

Maybe Jackie feels that things aren't so bad and it's a waste of energy trying to fight China, when things (to him) aren't so bad at all.

Peoples lives are threatened by their own actions and decisions. It's on them.

Chan may be a local, but it doesn't make him more qualified to speak on this topic than other folks in HK. In fact, he's been criticized by other HK people for his too eager efforts to embrace Beijing's "patriotic" dogma, which has led to a slide in his popularity over the past several years:

https://www.scmp.com/culture/books/a...ve-no-sympathy

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...hinese-netizen

https://qz.com/720749/why-some-hong-...n-is-a-coward/

Last edited by silverkris; Yesterday at 07:12 PM..

Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Chan may be a local, but it doesn't make him more qualified to speak on this topic than other folks in HK. In fact, he's been criticized by other HK people for his too eager efforts to embrace Beijing's "patriotic" dogma, which has led to a slide in his popularity over the past several years:

https://www.scmp.com/culture/books/a...ve-no-sympathy

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...hinese-netizen

https://qz.com/720749/why-some-hong-...n-is-a-coward/
The fact that much of Hong Kong disagrees with Chan is quite telling.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 1,116,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fact of it is that China is China. The people in Honk Kong may want change but it isn't going to happen. And China isn't going to put up with much more of this. I think Jackie is just being typically Asian fatalistic. He realizes where the real power is and is just accepting that.

I believe he sees what's coming and is just trying to save his people from a lot of death and mayhem. And that's coming. Sooner than later. Hong Kong is in no position to start a rebellion. They will lose badly. And Red China will not be challenged by protest.

The people of Hong Kong would need to be a well armed and equipped organized army and even if 2.5 million of them were so prepared they would still be very out manned and outgunned. They are not in the position Taiwan is (that China still doesn't accept) with US backing. Hong Kong will be safely back in the fold soon.
Jackie Chan has been a supporter of Beijing for years. There is nothing new or surprising about his support for China over the HK protesters.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Jackie Chan has been a supporter of Beijing for years. There is nothing new or surprising about his support for China over the HK protesters.
I'm not surprised either. I don't have any respect for him supporting Beijing over Hong Kong.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

55,921 posts, read 74,960,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fact of it is that China is China. The people in Honk Kong may want change but it isn't going to happen. And China isn't going to put up with much more of this. I think Jackie is just being typically Asian fatalistic. He realizes where the real power is and is just accepting that.

I believe he sees what's coming and is just trying to save his people from a lot of death and mayhem. And that's coming. Sooner than later. Hong Kong is in no position to start a rebellion. They will lose badly. And Red China will not be challenged by protest.

The people of Hong Kong would need to be a well armed and equipped organized army and even if 2.5 million of them were so prepared they would still be very out manned and outgunned. They are not in the position Taiwan is (that China still doesn't accept) with US backing. Hong Kong will be safely back in the fold soon.

And Jackie Chan knows this.
You are calling being under red China back in the fold ? 20% of China is communist they are the ones with the guns -Are the 80% non party members in the fold?
The protestors are fighting extradition policy
People that get sent to red China never come back
Involuntary organ donors

Old Today, 11:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,666,170 times
Whenever there is a protest in the US, there are anti-protesters too. Why can't Hong Kong have the same thing?
Jackie Chan is a Chinese, not only a HKer. It's normal some people identify with the nation more than with the hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies