Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:38 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sorry but I can have it the correct way which is I have stated. Trump did little to affec the economy either way, to the extent government is involved, it's mostly the Congress
Well if he is going to take credit for an expanding economy then he also needs to take responsibility for a recession.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The wizard had a Republican House & Republican Senate when the Tax Reform was passed.
Everything stopped as soon as the Democrats took over the House -- BUT, as soon as we remove Dem Leadership from control of the House ..... we can move forward, especially with the new Trade Agreement that most of Labor want and that the Leftists promised, but never delivered on.
If you could point to one action the house took I would believe you. Did they actually get a bill past McConnell that I missed. Who is blocking the new improved NAFTA?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A bucket of dirt could have accomplished what Clinton did.

Clinton was in the right pkace at the right time for the 401k shift and the dot com boom.

Clinton and the GOP congress continued to increase spending year after year, but capitalism gave them record tax dollars.

Thank you capitalism.
A bucket of dirt (trump) had doubled our deficit in record time!

Last edited by jojajn; 08-19-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A bucket of dirt (trump) had doubled our debt in record time!
No he hasn't. The debt was $20 trillion when he took office. It is not $40 trillion currently.

The word you are looking for is "annual deficit" but annual deficits are independent relative to one another.

Not saying the dude isn't presiding over a serious increase in debt, but he doesn't make spending law, the House and Senate do. They figure out the annual expenditures and give the Executive branch its budget. That's how the system works.

So the more accurate gripe would read: 535 buckets of dirt in the House and Senate have found a willing accomplice in the White House to sign on to their current explosion of ADDED DEBT that is caused by increased annual deficits.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No he hasn't. The debt was $20 trillion when he took office. It is not $40 trillion currently.

The word you are looking for is "annual deficit" but annual deficits are independent relative to one another.

Not saying the dude isn't presiding over a serious increase in debt, but he doesn't make spending law, the House and Senate do. They figure out the annual expenditures and give the Executive branch its budget. That's how the system works.

So the more accurate gripe would read: 535 buckets of dirt in the House and Senate have found a willing accomplice in the White House to sign on to their current explosion of ADDED DEBT that is caused by increased annual deficits.
Corrected, thank you.

BTW, when does the buck ever stop with trump? Doesn't trump ultimately sign the budget bill?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well if he is going to take credit for an expanding economy then he also needs to take responsibility for a recession.
It's the nature of all politicians to take credit when things are going good and point the finger when they're going bad, Trump is no different than the Democrats in this.

There's no doubt the trade war has been a short term negative....it may turn into a positive if we get a better trade agreement. The change in taxes I had mixed feelings about and would rather there be a focus on debt reduction but Trump and all the Democrats were elected to spend money on their constituents....reducing the tax write offs for state taxes was the correct and equitable way to go in my opinion.

To be fair, Presidents don't control economic policy so this entire thread is based on a false premise that Democrats have that the President is a King.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Corrected, thank you.

BTW, when does the buck ever stop with trump? Doesn't trump ultimately sign the budget bill?
If he signs spending bills into law, the buck has paused near him, but he cannot create spending law independently or in a vacuum. If he vetoes a spending bill, the House and Senate can override his veto and have the buck actually stop with them.

Bottom line, he can go along with their proposed law, he can oppose it and they give up, or he can oppose it and they override his opposition. In the end, it all starts with them and they have ultimate final power over it. Thus, when it comes to government spending, the buck always ultimately stops with Congress.

And yes, I said all this with Obama, and Clinton, and Carter, etc. Presidents do not spend money on their own. They spend what Congress allows them to. For reference, please see Article I, Sections 7-9 of the US Constitution.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
There's a bear market, a bull market and then there's a Trump market. Its like a bull market with wings.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
There's a bear market, a bull market and then there's a Trump market. Its like a bull market with wings.
I don't understand why all my investments were at a negative income in 2018. How can this be with your flying bull?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
There has been a bull market since 2009 look at the numbers, but now it’s all about Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies